spc
Search similar:

uniqs
aj75
join:2015-02-16
USA

aj75

16 AWG dedicated power wire questions... indoor power supplying outdoor ONT

I had some power supply questions regarding AT&T's new gigapower service, which should deliver speeds competitive with Google's fiber technology. This may apply to standard U-Verse installations, but I am not really sure. AT&T is deploying fiber in many areas in Austin and some other areas around the country for its Gigapower service.

I was old by an AT&T tech that Gigapower service requires an ONT outdoor box instead of a traditional NID, and the customer is required to provide power to this ONT via an AT&T indoor backup battery. In Austin, the techs are routing a 16 AWG power wire from the indoor battery through the wall/floor/attic/etc. to the outdoor ONT.

I assume that 16 AWG is a low-voltage wire. I was wondering if it is ok to route this wire directly next to the Cat 5e cable that also runs from the RG to the ONT. Anyone know? Also, is it ok to have the 16 AWG wire proceed through the room's wall plate at the same wall plate where the Cat 5e outlet Jack is?

Kett2000
Premium Member
join:2002-04-23
Lilburn, GA

4 edits

Kett2000

Premium Member

Does the 16 AWG power line carry an AC or DC signal?

If the 16 AWG cable carries a high DC current you should maintain separation between the 16 AWG cable and the Ethernet cable, but for low currents you should be OK.

If the 16 AWG cables carries an AC signal you should be OK for short distances.

A communication cable (Ethernet) parallel to a DC power cable = should be OK for low currents
A communication cable parallel to a low voltage AC power cable = should be OK for short distances

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

mackey to aj75

Premium Member

to aj75
said by aj75:

I was wondering if it is ok to route this wire directly next to the Cat 5e cable that also runs from the RG to the ONT. Anyone know? Also, is it ok to have the 16 AWG wire proceed through the room's wall plate at the same wall plate where the Cat 5e outlet Jack is?

Assuming these ONTs are similar to the ones Verizon uses for FiOS then yes, they can be next to each other.

rolande
Certifiable
MVM,
join:2002-05-24
Dallas, TX
ARRIS BGW210-700
Cisco Meraki MR42

rolande to Kett2000

MVM,

to Kett2000
said by Kett2000:

Does the 16 AWG power line carry an AC or DC signal?

It should be between 44 and 57 volts DC using IEEE802.3af. 48VDC is the typical deployment supporting up to 15.4 Watts at injection and up to a 12.95 Watt at the end device. If it is 802.3at compliant then the max output is 25.5 Watts.