All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Mr Matt
join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL

Mr Matt

[Services] Additional fees and charges for AT+T Landlines?

Currently I am a CenturyLink customer and will be moving to an apartment where AT+T is the telephone service provider. I am concerned about AT&T's additional fees and charges. First of all when I tried to look for Land Line rates on the AT&T website I was continuously steered to U-Verse since it is available in my area. I cannot use U-verse voice because I have certain equipment that requires a standard land line to function.

I wound up calling AT&T and spoke to a CSR. Unfortunately they were vague about additional fees and charges. I inquired about long distance rates and was advised that the lowest rate is $1.00 per month for a cost of $0.18 per minute. I want to be sure I am not being scammed by AT+T like I was before AT+T absorbed BellSouth.

Here is what I ran into when I subscribed to BellSouth Long Distance around 2001. I signed up for the BellSouth casual LD rate which started out as 0.14 per minute Interstate rate and $0.18 per minute Intrastate rate. Eventually it increases to $0.18 for all LD calls. That was not an issue. What was an issue was when I sent a less than one minute FAX several months later and was charged over $3.50 for the one minute FAX. In addition to $0.18 for usage I was charged similar fees that were charged to land line service. I was charged an in state connection charge, universal service cost recovery fee and others. When I complained I was told tough s*#T go somewhere else for LD service which I did. I am posting this inquiry to determine what AT&T land line customers actually pay for long distance service. I will appreciate any information readers of this post can provide.

timcuth
Braves Fan
Premium Member
join:2000-09-18
Pelham, AL
Technicolor ET2251

timcuth

Premium Member

I can't answer your question for the current time, as I dropped my AT&T home phone about a year ago. But, yes, they made LD mandatory where it had previously been optional, and they added all kinds of fees. They raised my base rate, too. A nominal $25 per month service ended up costing closer to $40.

I don't exactly call it a scam, but they seem to increase prices and fees at will. Like I said, I just gave up the whole deal. I had had the same line since 1977, and it felt funny canceling it, but in the long run, I'm glad I did.

Tim

ArgMeMatey
join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI

ArgMeMatey to Mr Matt

to Mr Matt
said by Mr Matt:

I am posting this inquiry to determine what AT&T land line customers actually pay for long distance service.

I had switched to Airespring on the AT&T POTS line in 2005, and I don't even remember what the rate was. Something like $0.05 or $0.06 per minute, no monthly fee or minimum.

I finally dropped my AT&T POTS line last month because the price went up again, and I'd only used it for one 911 call in the past five years or so. ($1500 for one 911 call might sound like a bargain when there's a life-threatening emergency but you know how cheapskates like me think. )
ramsaso
Premium Member
join:2014-01-04
Houston, TX
ARRIS SB6183

1 edit

ramsaso to Mr Matt

Premium Member

to Mr Matt

Various Charges
Need I upload mine for reference?

I think the subscriber line charge is the full 6.50 there I think... The image that you're seeing above is for Texas. (Note: The State and Local tax that says $3.60 was for making an operator assisted call. It's usually lower than that.) This is from 2 months ago.
said by Mr Matt:

I am posting this inquiry to determine what AT&T land line customers actually pay for long distance service

For some, a $2.99 carrier cost recovery fee in addition to the per-minute charges.
For some, the CCRF and the unlimited long distance charge.

Just use a prepaid phone card if you're pessimistic of their prices. I used to use callingcardplus.com until I signed up for their unlimited long distance service (a long distance call sounds better than using the card for the call).

Look on their website »cpr.att.com for the Guidebook in your state.

I don't think they made Long Distance mandatory though.

compuguybna
join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN

compuguybna to Mr Matt

to Mr Matt
I wonder if the taxes posted are imposed on UVERSE VOICE as well (voip)?

I hate to get a $20 voice line, and have $15 worth of taxes attached. That was why I dropped the ole copper landline.

Was wanting to get the UVERSE internet and voice bundle. No taxes on the internet part, but I'm sure I'll get slammed on the voice taxes.
ramsaso
Premium Member
join:2014-01-04
Houston, TX
ARRIS SB6183

ramsaso

Premium Member

U-Verse taxes (Voice 200)
said by compuguybna:

I dropped the ole copper landline.

Murmurs "dumb***"--- sorry about that, I hate people who quit POTS solely because of price.

U-Verse taxes are on the screenshot above (from my friend's account who gave me permission to access it)

I think the taxes for POTS are inflated.

In my opinion, just pay the damn taxes.
public
join:2002-01-19
Santa Clara, CA

public to Mr Matt

to Mr Matt
said by Mr Matt:

I sent a less than one minute FAX

Was it a call to a 900 number?
If you make many calls, get voip, Standard domestic rate is 0.02/min
Mr Matt
join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL

Mr Matt

said by public:

Was it a call to a 900 number?

This is what I stated in my original post:
Here is what I ran into when I subscribed to BellSouth Long Distance around 2001. I signed up for the BellSouth casual LD rate which started out as 0.14 per minute Interstate rate and $0.18 per minute Intrastate rate. Eventually it increases to $0.18 for all LD calls. That was not an issue. What was an issue was when I sent a less than one minute FAX several months later and was charged over $3.50 for the one minute FAX. In addition to $0.18 for usage I was charged similar fees that were charged to land line service. I was charged an in state connection charge, universal service cost recovery fee and others. When I complained I was told tough s*#T go somewhere else for LD service which I did. I am posting this inquiry to determine what AT&T land line customers actually pay for long distance service. I will appreciate any information readers of this post can provide.

The call was not to a 900 number. The only reason I would need a traditional land line was to support a burglar alarm and reliable FAX service. Burglar Alarm companies will not guarantee monitoring through VoIP service because it is not reliable. Additional equipment and monthly fees are charged for monitoring via a cellular network. The NID is in the apartment and unlike a house, the cross connection to the outside plant is in a locked room. In this case VoIP is not an option.