Search similar:

uniqs

HD
@telus.net

HD

Anon

[BC] 100 GB limit question/observation

Good Afternoon!

I have a question and some observations about the 100 GB limit and the issues that have arisen recently.

First, I have internet over the telephone line and it cuts out at least once per session (I have called Telus about this several times), and sometimes it cuts out two or three times. What that means: If I'm downloading a youtube video, half way through I lose my connection, and the download is wiped out. Nowadays, youtube videos are at least 1080p, and many are starting to be more, so they can be sizeable. So - I have to wait for it to reconnect, go back to the same page, and start a second download of the same video - do you see how the technology failure causes me to use more of my 100 GB limit than I would ordinarily need too?

Second - I got your notifications by email (and thank you, I appreciate the notifications), but here's what I can't figure out: On Feb 24th, with only four days left in the month, your email said I had used 75% of my monthly limit, so I scaled it back. Way back. On Feb 27th, a new email said I was now at 95% of my monthly limit. Okay the math is pretty simple, since 75% of 100 GB is 75 GB, but that means that three days later it jumped from 75 GB used to 95 GB used - that's around 6 to 7 GB per day within three days. How is that possible? For the person who even disconnected the modem outright to reduce even the trickle of usage from just being connected, somehow you've calculated an extra 20 GB in three days - it doesn't make sense at my end, especially since after the first email notification I really went out of my way to scale it back drastically.

Of course, it is not your fault that the 'size' of things has changed - even simply reading the paper online causes it to load all kinds of videos associated with the news article(s), whether you wanted the video or not, and of course the litany of advertising pop-ups and so forth that go with it. Having said that, we didn't do it either - I can't really call the various news media and tell them to downsize their online product because its using too much bandwidth. For me, that means either pay more, or don't read the paper. The paper of course is just one of how ever many examples you want. I will do my best at my end, but I can only hope you will recognize that sometimes we're stuck with now deciding whether to watch/download favourite youtube channels, or not watch them just to avoid the overage.

Last but not least, about the self-monitoring of usage via my online account. First - it's online. So, you know, more usage. (Not a lot more of course, but you get my point). It's like billing - everybody wants you to opt for online billing, and more time online means a bigger bill, and around in circles we go. Unfortunately, I have tried a great many time in vain to monitor my usage - it has never showed up. One of your call center reps said it wouldn't show up either since 'we don't do that in your area'. Further, I have had to 'reset' my online account four times. When I first started with Telus, they provided a generic user name and password until I could log in and change it - but that one never worked, and after several days of trying, they finally set a new one which I got into once. And then it never worked. After several tries, they finally got it working, but when I logged in and went to look at usage, guess what - nothing there. Then that one stopped working, and now I have a new one. That one worked for some time, but there was still no usage shown online. Now, for whatever reason, that last account doesn't work either. I hope you can understand why I'm reluctant to establish yet another online account, because the track record so far is that they just don't work, and when they do, I can't see my usage anyway, which was the only reason I was going there. Plus - you know - I don't want to spend so much time online fighting with my Telus account just to see my usage, which results in more usage just trying to get online to see my usage. You get the picture.

Trying to end on a 'somewhat' positive note, I'm still mostly satisfied with the service - but the cost inevitably keeps going up no matter what, and now it's going to go up more, and meanwhile I still have internet service that just drops off the planet for no apparent reason. There does appear to be some technical issues to sort out - how you calculated a 20 GB usage within three days from somebody that dropped online use to almost nil during that period, and, the whole online account not working thing, and not showing my usage anyway when it does work. I'd phone your help desk (as opposed to the 'online chat'), but then that runs up the cost of the cell phone bill. And on we go.

HD in BC

humanfilth
join:2013-02-14
river styx

2 edits

humanfilth

Aside from wiring/filter/wireless issues causing problems. The new Telus gateways(modem/router) is the T1200h(T2200H for bonded service). Telus still is handing out the V1000H for Internet only accounts. The VSG1432 is apparently retired. All other models, retired.

Are you uploading as well? Saturating all your upload speed will kill your download speed and can on occasion choke the connection dead.
»www.telus.com/en/bc/get- ··· pport.do
Uploads count for GB usage.

Those who can't upgrade beyond Internet-1 , -6 and a variable on -15(old town hardware) can get unlimited for $10 a month.

Email GB notices are notorious for delays across various providers. A delay between the GB counting and sending the email doesn't always sync right.