All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Rick4769
join:2012-11-21
Buffalo, NY

Rick4769

[Channels] March and April Channel Changes 2015?

January and February were very lean months for new HD channels. Will we see any of the following HD channels in March and April?: TCM, El Rey, H2, HLN, Sundance, Encore Suite, Reelz, Esquire, UP, or Inspiration?

Branch
:D
Premium Member
join:2014-07-22
VHO 4
Greenwave FiOS-G1100
Actiontec WCB6200Q

Branch

Premium Member

We don't know. Vz never announces channel changes anymore.

For future reference: only start new channel/channel changes threads if something actually happens, because otherwise these always just turn into wish lists, and we already have plenty of those.

matcarl
Premium Member
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl

Premium Member

Agreed, we can't have these speculation threads every two months, enough already!
Expand your moderator at work

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin to matcarl

Premium Member

to matcarl

Re: [Channels] March and April Channel Changes 2015?

said by matcarl:

Agreed, we can't have these speculation threads every two months, enough already!

Agreed, we would all like different channels. A speculative thread monthly is pointless.

Hob

Rick4769
Buffalo, NY

Rick4769

It is just not speculation, those were my opinions. When a new channel is added, it should be posted here for everyone to know about it. I have found two channels in these posts which I would have never known about.

sashwa
Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz
461.4 6.9

sashwa

Mod

Rick, there is really no need for a new thread every 2 months for new channels. When someone finds one, they normally just start a new thread about it and that works just fine for the majority of folks. When a bunch of new channels are added around the same time, then someone starts a thread about that. New channels, HD or SD, are not added all that often.
Steve3
join:2010-01-28
Springfield, NJ

Steve3

I just read we are going to get a new channel Ride TV. It has something to do with horses. I don't get the reasoning, but it is coming down the line.

Greg2600
join:2008-05-20
Belleville, NJ

Greg2600 to Rick4769

to Rick4769
While I'd really like to have El Rey HD, right now my biggest want is to have full VOD and streaming access to FXX programming and Fox Sports GO.
kmwoolls
join:2013-10-04
Spotsylvania, VA

kmwoolls to Rick4769

to Rick4769
Hello, Here in VHO-4 we just got channel 502 SoTS (Soul of The South) on Friday.

matcarl
Premium Member
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl to Steve3

Premium Member

to Steve3
said by Steve3:

I just read we are going to get a new channel Ride TV. It has something to do with horses. I don't get the reasoning, but it is coming down the line.

That was announced months ago to add in first half of 2015, which could mean up till June, so we don't need this thread until it happens.

Greg2600
join:2008-05-20
Belleville, NJ

Greg2600 to kmwoolls

to kmwoolls
said by kmwoolls:

Hello, Here in VHO-4 we just got channel 502 SoTS (Soul of The South) on Friday.

Local digital subchannel.

Rick4769
Buffalo, NY

Rick4769

New Channel in VHO-15 on channel 461, Grit TV, a sub channel of WUTV. (WUTV-DT3) which went live Monday 3/2/15.

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA

aaronwt to Rick4769

Premium Member

to Rick4769
I don't really care what they add any more, I only wish that all new channels would use H.264 and they would get back to changing old channels from MPEG2 to H.264. Then they would have the space to add dozens and dozens of new HD channels.

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
join:2001-12-28
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

Aaron-
Whispers are the MPEG-4 effort has been back-burnered.
sbernstein5
join:2005-01-18
10024-5650

sbernstein5

said by SeattleMatt:

Aaron-

ugh Have those whispers come up with any solutions to filling in our missing HD channels without adding additional compression to the ones that we alrady have?

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt

Premium Member

said by sbernstein5:

said by SeattleMatt:

Aaron-

ugh Have those whispers come up with any solutions to filling in our missing HD channels without adding additional compression to the ones that we alrady have?

Unfortunately their solution is probbaly to sell off more FiOS areas.
bsangs
join:2002-08-21
Montclair, NJ

bsangs

said by aaronwt:

said by sbernstein5:

said by SeattleMatt:

Aaron-

Unfortunately their solution is probbaly to sell off more FiOS areas.

I think us East Coasters are safe from the sell-off. At least for a few years.
Acct101
Premium Member
join:2011-09-20
Bensalem, PA

Acct101 to aaronwt

Premium Member

to aaronwt
I wasn't aware that Verizon was selling off any areas? What area did they sell off?

Do you think they may get out of the business of offering TV service? So in the Philadelphia region, they might sell off to Comcast?

Is this all over the fact that the younger generation is not so inclined to sign up for cable and instead piecemeal their service through the internet?

I'm 54 years old and would gladly turn off cable and go the inexpensive route. But I can not get my family to align with my feelings. I am stuck paying $200 a month.
ansky
join:2009-05-18
West Orange, NJ

ansky

said by Acct101:

I'm 54 years old and would gladly turn off cable and go the inexpensive route. But I can not get my family to align with my feelings. I am stuck paying $200 a month.

Your TV service is $200/month? What the heck do you have?
JPL
Premium Member
join:2007-04-04
Downingtown, PA

JPL

Premium Member

Getting to $200/month isn't that hard. I'm close to that now (I pay $187/month total for my triple play). We have their ultimate triple play with quantum TV service on 3 TVs. The only reason I'm NOT at $200/month is because my company offers a triple play bundle discount of $10/month for FiOS.

matcarl
Premium Member
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl

Premium Member

But some of that monthly price is for phone and internet. ACCT101 was talking about his TV service and how he'd like to get rid of it because it's $200 a month. He's not really paying $200 just for TV. That's what Ansky was asking
bsangs
join:2002-08-21
Montclair, NJ

bsangs to Acct101

to Acct101
said by Acct101:

I wasn't aware that Verizon was selling off any areas? What area did they sell off?

Do you think they may get out of the business of offering TV service? So in the Philadelphia region, they might sell off to Comcast?

Is this all over the fact that the younger generation is not so inclined to sign up for cable and instead piecemeal their service through the internet?

Yup, they sold off to Frontier everywhere but the East Coast.
JPL
Premium Member
join:2007-04-04
Downingtown, PA

JPL to matcarl

Premium Member

to matcarl
I guess I didn't read it that way. I'm reading it that his entire bill is $200/month and would like to pay less. Getting rid of the TV portion would reduce it. Instead because he has to have traditional cable TV, he has to pay $200/month. I didn't read it as only his TV portion is $200. With triple-plays it's hard to know exactly what portion is TV anyway.
dfwguy
join:2013-10-24

dfwguy to bsangs

to bsangs
said by bsangs:

I think us East Coasters are safe from the sell-off. At least for a few years.

I think it's an issue of financing more than anything else. The rest of the network is gone as soon as someone else can come up with the money to do it. CA/TX/FL were just a convenient second step (after WA/OR/IN) due to their being isolated from the rest of the network. The swath of suburbia they cover between NYC and central VA would be hard to break up, and will command a hefty sale price (plus they need to fulfill their commitment to wiring NYC). But would it surprise anyone if 3-4 years down the road there's talk of the sale of Pittsburgh, upstate NY, and New England?

Rattler
join:2001-04-13
Havertown, PA

Rattler

They also dumped NC off to Frontier a few years ago.
Acct101
Premium Member
join:2011-09-20
Bensalem, PA

Acct101 to matcarl

Premium Member

to matcarl
I'm paying closer to the $187 someone mention for the triple play package. I had two movies in there for this month which I forgot.

$187 x 12 months is a ton of money. And for what!

I have the house phone and never use it. I don't even know my number. But I am told having it, saves me money.

All I really want are the locals, CSN for local sports and maybe CNN, TWC and a sprinkle of a few other channels. They can keep ESPN.

Steely
I rise when the sun goes down
Premium Member
join:2000-10-15
Princeton Junction, NJ

Steely to Rick4769

Premium Member

to Rick4769
Replying to no one in particular....this thread is supposed to be about March and April channel changes, right? Can we try to stay on target...please?

I have my HD "want list" like everybody else. It's pretty much the same list that I had last year...and maybe the year before.

Someone wake me when Verizon adds something substantive.

Branch
:D
Premium Member
join:2014-07-22
VHO 4

1 recommendation

Branch

Premium Member

Actually, can we end this thread... there are no planned changes, and anyways, when a new channel is discovered, people usually start a new thread anyways... so can we close this?

Steely
I rise when the sun goes down
Premium Member
join:2000-10-15
Princeton Junction, NJ

Steely

Premium Member

No arguments from me. I'm tired of getting my hopes up every time there's a new post.