spc
Search similar:

uniqs
blockisle9
join:2004-03-18
Waterbury, CT

blockisle9

Not so reliable phone service since migrated to Frontier from AT&T

So I was migrated to Frontier from AT&T this past Friday. Now when people call me not all calls go through, they get a fast busy signal. If they hang up and retry a few times they eventually get connected. I tried restarting the gateway and that didn't help. Very frustrating! Phones used to be extremely reliable!
Any ideas?
Thanks

Tursiops_G
Technoid
MVM
join:2002-02-06
Brooksville, FL

Tursiops_G

MVM

Fast Busy = Overloaded / No Available Circuit (Trunk Line issue)...
blockisle9
Waterbury, CT

blockisle9

Can anything be done? Why would it start now?
Thanks again

Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17

Darknessfall

Premium Member

What gateway do you have? We haven't been having a problem with the phone service.

Tursiops_G
Technoid
MVM
Brooksville, FL

Tursiops_G to blockisle9

MVM

to blockisle9
How long has this been happening?
If short-term, Could be weather related (lines compromised, etc.)
Could also be an equipment issue at the CO...(?)
Call Repair service, and create a service ticket.
blockisle9
Waterbury, CT

blockisle9

ARRIS NVG589.
I was migrated Friday, so it started yesterday.

Tursiops_G
Technoid
MVM
Brooksville, FL

Tursiops_G

MVM

In that case, there's most likely a problem at the CO...

Call it in.
CmmTch
join:2002-08-10
High Ridge, MO

1 recommendation

CmmTch to blockisle9

to blockisle9
That isn't caused by your equipment, the switch can't find an open trunk for the call to complete to your line. The problem may not even be in your serving CO/wirecenter, it could be on the calling party's end, or anywhere in between.

As Tursiops_G See Profile said, the fast busy signal indicates all circuits are busy, if a person hangs up and try's again usually a trunk will free up in that time. Used to get those sometimes on big phone call days before cell phones, ex: Mothers' Day.

This isn't a problem on your end, nothing you can do about it except report it to Frontier. Could be residual leftover issues from the cut to Frontier from ATT that will clear up as time goes by.
blockisle9
Waterbury, CT

blockisle9

It's amazing, all this state of art technology and stuff still doesn't work!
ramsaso
Premium Member
join:2014-01-04
Houston, TX

ramsaso

Premium Member

said by blockisle9:

stuff still doesn't work!

Don't forget that as humans, we all make mistakes.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

Anonymous_ to CmmTch

Premium Member

to CmmTch
well it's a co issue

I thought it was all Ip from co to co by fiber optic

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA

NormanS

MVM

On second thought, take me back ...
CmmTch
join:2002-08-10
High Ridge, MO

CmmTch to Anonymous_

to Anonymous_
These days the term "trunk" would describe any media, copper or fiber that is multi user, not dedicated to an individual. The switch may provisioned for x number of lines. It may have capacity of 1000 times x but if it isn't provisioned for that amount and only sees x number of trunks then that's how many it has. It sounds like right now it isn't enough to handle the traffic. Another cause can be some trunks having trouble (shorts, crosses, etc...) will be "busied out" automatically by the switch and won't take calls. Only Frontier can determine the cause and fix it.

It's a little more involved than having fiber connecting CO's together, I'm not a switch engineer but do know a little about such things. The number of available trunks is not enough for everybody in a switch to make a call at the same time. There are logistics involved to make it a percentage of availability to customers, example would be 90% of the time you make a call it will go through. The other 10% you get a fast busy, so you hang up and try again, this time your call goes through.

The percentages I've posted are numbers pulled out of the air to demonstrate the point. As a general rule there are not many occasions when all the customers try to make a call at the same time, so it is designed to give customers dial tone most of the time. I'm sure there are left over loose ends from the switch cutover from ATT to Frontier. These will be resolved as things are finalized, Frontier may still have changes to be made in the switching equipment now that it's their switch.

As a couple of us have said, right now the best thing is to report it to Frontier so they are aware some customers are getting fast busy and calls not completing.