All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

grumpy guy 3
@comcast.net

grumpy guy 3

Anon

[Caps] Comcast BANNING Astraweb.com (207.246.207.111) on bus lines!!

Comcast access to Astraweb.com (207.246.207.111) on business cable accounts in Michigan region, at least starting today.

Its a fact. Multiple anonymous proxies work via IP or web address, but direct non-proxy access to raw IP is blocked this day, not only for usenet but mere port 80 web to Astraweb.com

Comcast says they don't mess with net neutrality, but something highly fishy is going on. Total data xfer to Astraweb.com, (DL negligible upload), was about merely about 62 gigabytes in 10 days from same business account.

I'll reset cable modem, reset router, reset computer, but sternly suspect the issue will remain accessing IP 207.246.207.111 for port 80 or SSL NNTP

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

4 edits

DocDrew

Premium Member

Post a trace route to that 207.246.207.111 IP so we can see where it's getting blocked.

Just to let you know, I can't get to the astraweb.com webpage using TWC either and traces go all the way to the server at 207.246.207.111 with intermittent drops and odd extra hops on that last IP. It seems like Astraweb doesn't like me either and Comcast has nothing to do with it.

rcilink
Premium Member
join:2003-12-15
Manchester, NH

rcilink to grumpy guy 3

Premium Member

to grumpy guy 3
Looks like a Level3.net issue.

I get different responses when running traceroute to that IP from Comcast and from Fairpoint.

Perhaps the router in question at Level3 is searchtech.edge8.sanjose1.level3.net (4.53.30.142)
Mattrage
join:2003-09-22
Jacksonville, FL

Mattrage to grumpy guy 3

to grumpy guy 3
Looks like this is an astraweb problem. I'm about to add in the eu server and switch to it for the time being as there are reports of it working. I'm borked here with my residential Comcast, fwiw.

»www.reddit.com/r/usenet/ ··· ng_with/

Cjaiceman
MVM
join:2004-10-12
Castle Rock, WA

Cjaiceman to grumpy guy 3

MVM

to grumpy guy 3
Looks like it was a Level3 routing issue, nothing to do with Comcast blocking anything. It should be restored now, it's working after being down for a while.
travelguy
join:1999-09-03
Bismarck, ND
Asus RT-AC68
Ubiquiti NSM5

travelguy

said by Cjaiceman:

Looks like it was a Level3 routing issue, nothing to do with Comcast blocking anything. It should be restored now, it's working after being down for a while.

Not for me, unfortunately. Going through a VPN in another country, no problem.
Moffetts
join:2005-05-09
San Mateo, CA

Moffetts to grumpy guy 3

to grumpy guy 3
OP is about merely about 62% of a network engineer.

Cthen
Premium Member
join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI

Cthen to Cjaiceman

Premium Member

to Cjaiceman
said by Cjaiceman:

That can't be! It just has to be a Comcast conspiracy. Just like with all the new "Comcast is throttling" threads. It can't be something else, it just has to be Comcast!
nysports4evr
Premium Member
join:2010-01-23

nysports4evr to grumpy guy 3

Premium Member

to grumpy guy 3
said by grumpy guy 3 :

Its a fact.

You heard the man.
travelguy
join:1999-09-03
Bismarck, ND

travelguy

Working again this morning.
Beck38
join:2014-05-12
Centralia, WA

Beck38 to grumpy guy 3

to grumpy guy 3
Problems with (apparently) L3 routing have been reported across the globe some 24-48 hours ago. Exactly where in the internet this is occurring (or did occur, most folks are now reporting things are 'back to normal') is/was a good question.

The L3 routing problems that occurred in the SF/SJ area some 4+ months back is a good example of hw/sw failures occurring in L3 systems, in that case it was older Cisco routers with lean RAM where, when the routing tables reached a certain size, the boxes began acting 'weird'.

L3 did a 'quick fix' by routing all the SJ bound traffic to LA, then back again to SJ (a round trip of only a few hundred miles) which forced it to go through newer routers that didn't have the 'problem'. That gave them a few days to quickly 'upgrade' the older boxes, and switch back around the routing (cutting the SF/LA/SF routing) and putting things back to 'normal'.

Where it's been ever since.

Since this newest 'wobble', it appears to have been 'fixed', at this point we may never know exactly what went 'off the rails'. Bit it does appear that L3 realized pretty quickly the error.