uniqs

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

[Tech] R9 290X 60Hz@4K over HDMI or DPto HDMI adapter possible?

My wife is looking at this LG TV at Costco:

»www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-40U ··· 0-led-tv

It can do 60Hz over HDMI 1.4a, (because it has a 4:2:0 colour output, instead of 4:4:4) what I'm wondering is if I can trick the 290X the output 4K at 60Hz, either via HDMI or with a DP to HDMI adapter.

Has anyone had any success getting 60Hz@4K out of non-HDMI 2.0 Output/Monitor?

EQ

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

I don't think so, I heard it reads the output at point of intake into the device, so even if you use DP-to-HDMI, it will still render at 30 hz. You need a GTX 980 if you want 60 hz over HDMI.

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

Hmm, the HDMI port on the TV say 4K@60Hz, so it makes me think it might be possible even on my 290X, but I'm poking around to see if somebody has tried it yet.

EQ

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

The 290X doesn't support 4K@60Hz over HDMI. Only DP.

Sorry bro. Octavean See Profile has looked into this extensively.

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by Krisnatharok:

The 290X doesn't support 4K@60Hz over HDMI. Only DP.

Sorry bro. Octavean See Profile has looked into this extensively.

Disappointing,

I was hoping I'd be able to improvise with a DP to HDMI 2.0 adapter or something. Do you know if Octavean See Profile has a 4K TV/Display at the moment?

kvn864
join:2001-12-18
Sun City, AZ

kvn864

they need to start including DP on these kinds of 4k TV's. would have been a nice monitor for a number of people, broader market, and I bet it isn't overly complex.

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by kvn864:

they need to start including DP on these kinds of 4k TV's. would have been a nice monitor for a number of people, broader market, and I bet it isn't overly complex.

So far I think the Panasonic ships with it standard, but that's the only one.

EQ

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

1 edit

Octavean to El Quintron

MVM

to El Quintron
I have an LG 55UB8500 55" 4K UHD Smart TV with WebOS 1.x and HDMI 2.0 support. It's a late 2014 model and LG has announced that they won't upgrade these models to WebOS 2.0 which is or will be found on 2015 models with exclusivity. This is obviously much to the chagrin of owners of 2014 WebOS Smart TV models. While I dont like it, I'm not overly distressed about it. However, it might be in the best interests of those looking to buy an LG Smart TV to be sure they buy a 2015 model.

»www.zdnet.com/article/lg ··· upgrade/

Also for what it's worth the UB8500 has no support for HBO-Go or Showtime Anytime since there are seemingly no applications to support this functionality. Why LG has not released such apps is beyond me.

As for the R9 290X and 4K 3840x2160 at 60Hz via HDMI 2.0 on such a UHDTV, I don't know of any way to force such functionality. As far as I know it won't work out of the box and I know of no workaround.

The GTX 980, GTX 970 and GTX 960 all have native HDMI 2.0 support and thus will do 3840x2160 at 60Hz. So while the R9 290X is a great all around card as well as its derivatives, it's simply showing its age by lacking this feature. Having said that, I don't think any single card mentioned here will net you a 4K gaming experience with a comfortable consistent 60Hz plus anyway,......at least not on modern games with all the settings cranked-up.

If that is what you are after.

AMD should be updating their lineup soon so maybe that will bring you the native HDMI 2.0 support you seek. If not The GTX 980 may see a slight price drop when AMD releases their new flagship card.

I returned a 55" Samsung Smart TV before settling on the LG. It had very similar features but the LG had a better screen And image quality IMO. I would suggest shopping around and really evaluating the 4K UHD TV carefully. HDMI 2.0 will soon be avalible on even entry level value cards so I would focus now on being sure the display you buy now is really what you want.

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by Octavean:

As for the R9 290X and 4K 3840x2160 at 60Hz via HDMI 2.0 on such a UHDTV, I don't know of any way to force such functionality. As far as I know it won't work out of the box and I know of no workaround.

OK thanks for letting me know, I was thinking I might hack my way around it with DP to HDMI2 adapter, but it that may not be in the cards.

I figured I'd ask, my wife saw some UB8000's at Costco, so I figured I'd investigate before dropping some cash on them. As much as I like the picture quality, I'm not going to be investing if the only 4K content I can get for it is Netflix.

EQ

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

Octavean

MVM

As with everything,....

If you don't need the thing then why bother,....?

In my case, I wouldn't have a 4K UHD TV now if it weren't for the quasi Black Friday deal I came across at Microcenter that got me into the store, the great relative price at the time and the fact that my old Samsung was showing signs of failure (image retention in the form of ghosting / becoming dim or bright without provocation along with an odd hum).

So unless you are in a similar boat, why bother,....

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by Octavean:

I'm in a similar boat actually, the TV that's currently in that room is on the way out, speakers start sounding "blown out" after the TV's been on for 40ish minutes.

It was a good price, and would have been a decent replacement for the Vizio, but it looks like all the tech surrounding this is going to change this year, so I'm to wait so I don't end up with something I'll get limited use of.

TigerLord

join:2002-06-09
Canada

TigerLord to Octavean

to Octavean
said by Octavean:

As with everything,....

If you don't need the thing then why bother,....?

His wife, a human woman, is behind this purchase.

That's all the explanation you need.

Adalicia
Om Nom Nom
join:2009-10-13
Lincoln, NE

Adalicia

said by TigerLord:

His wife, a human woman, is behind this purchase.

That's all the explanation you need.

Heh.

TigerLord

join:2002-06-09
Canada

TigerLord

Can't tell if this heh is one of disapproval or agreement, but if I let Miss TL buy the tech in the house, she'd choose the TV with the cutest leg stand.

"60Hz@4K" might as well be German for "my dick is hard" as far as she's concerned.

Adalicia
Om Nom Nom
Lincoln, NE

Adalicia

More amusement at the statement than anything. Thankfully I am responsible for all tech purchases in our house hold, she doesn't pretend to know (nor does she seem to really care).

Also I thought "60Hz@4K" was German for "my dick is hard." Guess I need to brush up.

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by Adalicia:

Also I thought "60Hz@4K" was German for "my dick is hard." Guess I need to brush up.

Well... "60Hz@4K" is damn near universal for "my dick is hard".

That being said, Mrs EQ has a CS degree and is fairly proficient in tech purchases on her own accord, however the price was the big draw on this one. Which is why we're doing a bit of digging, rather than just pulling the trigger.

Adalicia
Om Nom Nom
Lincoln, NE

Adalicia

said by El Quintron:

a CS degree

Mine has a BA in History and thus works as a chef. I'm envious.

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by Adalicia:

said by El Quintron:

a CS degree

Mine has a BA in History and thus works as a chef. I'm envious.

She works in her chosen field, but despite it being fairly lucrative it isn't very exciting. She maintains dead software that accountants paid a fortune for in the 90s, so they don't want to upgrade to something newer.

It's along the lines of Crystal Reports at the turn of the millennium, if you've had the pleasure.

Adalicia
Om Nom Nom
Lincoln, NE

Adalicia

said by El Quintron:

It's along the lines of Crystal Reports at the turn of the millennium, if you've had the pleasure.

I know of it but I have never had the pleasure myself.

ekster
Hi there
Premium Member
join:2010-07-16
Sainte-Anne-De-Bellevue, QC

ekster to El Quintron

Premium Member

to El Quintron
Crystal Reports wasn't that bad... I had a great pleasure of working with it before completely abandoning the field of CS and moving to the more exciting pastures of accounting.

I'm curious, what's the program? It's not Caseware, is it?

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron to Adalicia

Premium Member

to Adalicia
said by Adalicia:

I know of it but I have never had the pleasure myself.

I used it to reconcile first generation point of sale terminals at the bank, and it was all about entering parameters correctly.

EQ
El Quintron

El Quintron to ekster

Premium Member

to ekster
said by ekster:

I'm curious, what's the program? It's not Caseware, is it?

I believe it's MRI, she supports and develops modules for it, as needed by clients.

ekster
Hi there
Premium Member
join:2010-07-16
Sainte-Anne-De-Bellevue, QC

ekster

Premium Member

Ah, the thing that even the bloated Intuit didn't want.

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by ekster:

Ah, the thing that even the bloated Intuit didn't want.

That's the one.

She does some stuff with Intuit, but no development that I'm aware of.

Blockgorilla
Sarcasm is my native tongue
join:2010-02-11
Wichita, KS

Blockgorilla to TigerLord

to TigerLord
said by TigerLord:

Can't tell if this heh is one of disapproval or agreement, but if I let Miss TL buy the tech in the house, she'd choose the TV with the cutest leg stand.

"60Hz@4K" might as well be German for "my dick is hard" as far as she's concerned.

my wife refused to let me buy our flatscreen, (two tv's ago?) because it had what she called an "udder" on the bottom portion of the tv. The screen was still a rectangle, it was just the frame of it dipped at the bottom for the buttons.

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

Octavean to El Quintron

MVM

to El Quintron
said by El Quintron:

said by Octavean:

I'm in a similar boat actually, the TV that's currently in that room is on the way out, speakers start sounding "blown out" after the TV's been on for 40ish minutes.

It was a good price, and would have been a decent replacement for the Vizio, but it looks like all the tech surrounding this is going to change this year, so I'm to wait so I don't end up with something I'll get limited use of.

said by El Quintron:

said by Octavean:

Mrs Octavean has a bachelor degree in computer science and is fairly tech savvy but that doesn't necessarily mean she cares one wit about such things.

What got me into Microcenter was an ad for a Samsung UN55HU6840 for ~$898. A name brand 55" 4K Smart TV for well under ~$1000 USD got my interest. The first Microcenter location I went to was sold out but they did have the LG 55UB8500 which was marked down from ~$1500 to ~$1200 (IIRC). I checked out a second Microcenter location and finally found the Samsung UN55HU6840 in stock. I managed to get the last or second to last one. Ultimately I ended up with the LG since IMO it had a better quality screen and Mrs Octavean didn't care either way.

Keep in mind that the Seiki 50" hit the market at ~$1500, had no smart functions, had no HDMI 2.0 60Hz support, wasn't a name brand and was considered a noteworthy well priced option. So natrually both the Samsung and the LG were and still are miles ahead. 40" name brand 4K UHD TVs with HDMI 2.0 support are even more affordable.

So along the lines of what I was saying before, if you have a need to replace a failing TV,.....why the hell not get a 4K UHD TV,.....?

FizzyMyNizzy
join:2004-05-29
New York, NY

FizzyMyNizzy to El Quintron

to El Quintron
Remember, you want to get a monitor that support DP 1.2a or higher. So, you get Free Sync.

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by FizzyMyNizzy:

Remember, you want to get a monitor that support DP 1.2a or higher. So, you get Free Sync.

Noted, I definitely want FreeSync, seeing as I have a buch of AMD cards now.

EQ
El Quintron

El Quintron to Octavean

Premium Member

to Octavean
said by Octavean:

Keep in mind that the Seiki 50" hit the market at ~$1500, had no smart functions, had no HDMI 2.0 60Hz support, wasn't a name brand and was considered a noteworthy well priced option. So natrually both the Samsung and the LG were and still are miles ahead. 40" name brand 4K UHD TVs with HDMI 2.0 support are even more affordable.

I was so excited about 4K dropping to the low 4 figures, that I almost bought that very TV you're talking about

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

Octavean to El Quintron

MVM

to El Quintron
Few TVs have DisplayPort. Displayport wasnt a feature I was looking for with specificity when looking at 4K UHD TVs because of its rarity and the expense of its inclusion. When looking at 4K UHD TVs the feature I wanted and thought to be most reasonable was HDMI 2.0.

If a 4K monitor is more to your liking, Seiki has announced 40" and a 32" 4K monitors both of which will be under ~$1000 USD. Acer has a 32" IPS 4K PC monitor that typically comes in at under ~1000 USD now. 4K streaming typically requires built in applications and third party hardware so you'll get no out of the box 4K media options beyond possibly Youtube if you go this route.

While anything is possible, I don't expect to see FreeSync on any true 4K UHD TV models and DisplayPort will in all likelihood remain like hen's teeth on such products. If not you'll likely have to pay through the nose for it.