uniqs
fartness (banned)
Donald Trump 2016
join:2003-03-25
Look Outside

4 edits

fartness (banned)

[Appliances] Which dishwasher?

Will be getting my kitchen done and want a built in dishwasher. Which one would you pick? I went to Home Depot and both feel solid and are in my price range.

Lowes is cheaper:
$494 Maytag:
»www.lowes.com/pd_632513- ··· 1&rpp=32

$539 Whirlpool:
»www.lowes.com/pd_623213- ··· 7&rpp=32

I could probably go to Home Depot and tell them I want them to match Lowes' price and give me 10% off since that's what they do on price matches. Not sure if they'd do the additional 10% off since it's Lowes' sales price. Regardless, which one would you pick? Both get great reviews on Home Depot's website (the Maytag is unreviewed on Lowes' website). The Whirlpool has a washable filter in it for food and crap. The Maytag has some feature IIRC that will basically filter it on the fly I think without ever needing to clean a filter.

If I don't open the dishwasher after a few hours, will it be like a washing machine and get moldy/musty/mildewy if it stays closed?

If it makes a difference, I live alone and probably would run it once every week or two. Could make food get stuck to the dishes even more since I wouldn't run it that often. I've had a hard time cleaning some dishes by hand since I never felt like getting around to manually cleaning them since I can easily just take a clean plate out of the cabinet.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed

MVM

said by fartness:

If it makes a difference, I live alone and probably would run it once every week or two. Could make food get stuck to the dishes even more since I wouldn't run it that often. I've had a hard time cleaning some dishes by hand since I never felt like getting around to manually cleaning them since I can easily just take a clean plate out of the cabinet.

Most dishwashers will allow you to run a quick rinse. Usually used for keeping smells down but can be used to get off loose food.

The newer detergents work quite well and unless the food is extremely stick (like dried melted cheese/eggs) then there should not be an issue with food.

All newer detergents will actually tell you to not wash the kids ahead of time as well - they work better not cleaned first.

nightdesigns
Gone missing, back soon
Premium Member
join:2002-05-31
AZ

nightdesigns to fartness

Premium Member

to fartness
Take a look at the Frigidaire 2406. I installed this in a rental property and have been happy with it. Since I was out of state, I called the main Lowe's number and they threw in a few extra discounts. I was able to get it for $420, delivered & INSTALLED, with required hoses. It might be worth a look for you.

Corehhi
join:2002-01-28
Bluffton, SC

Corehhi to fartness

to fartness
I picked up a Bosch at Lowes as a returned item. About a $1,000 bosch for $549, sweet deal. New in box and I was told the wrong color was ordered simple as that. I don't know about your Lowes but mine always seems to have new in box returns dishwashers. ????? Don't know why??? We also have plenty of refrigerators but I know the problem there, people don't measure and they buy refrigerators that are too big.

My biggest concern was noise and I was already looking at lower end Bosch. The only thing I can hear is the water being pumped into the disposal.

jrs8084
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Statesville, NC

jrs8084 to fartness

Premium Member

to fartness
I have never had a problem with any dishwasher getting musty if you didn't unload it right away. But, I have never waited more than 24 hours.

As far as loading, when two of us were here, I ran a cycle every 1-2 weeks. Now that I am by myself, every three. Unless it was an unusual situation, I just loaded the dishes unrinsed and never had a problem with them stinking or attracting insects-That is funny since ants appear to love my kitchen. Or at least they used to. The soils do dry out, but I have rarely had a problem with things not getting clean-and this is with a 32 year old machine.

We do have naturally soft water around here, so that also comes into play-I have not seen any change with the no phosphate detergent switch.

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell to fartness

Premium Member

to fartness
+1 on the Bosch! We installed one last fall and really love it! They are little more expensive but certainly worth it in the long run.

Out of the two mentioned in the original post I would definitely go with the Maytag, they have a lot better reputation than the Whirlpool.
aroberti
Sarcastic? Me? Never
Premium Member
join:2000-12-21
Norwalk, CT

aroberti

Premium Member

Doesn't Whirlpool own Maytag now?

fluffybunny
@teksavvy.com

fluffybunny to fartness

Anon

to fartness
buy a miele. you cant get a better dishwasher.
PrntRhd
Premium Member
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA

PrntRhd to fartness

Premium Member

to fartness
FYI, these days the Maytag and Whirlpool and Kitchen Aid dishwashers are 3 brands from the same company (Whirlpool).
It all depends on whether you like the features of one vs the other.

The Bosch is a different unit, primarily because Bosch features condensate drying vs heated drying.
fartness (banned)
Donald Trump 2016
Look Outside

1 edit

fartness (banned)

Not sure of the major differences between the two other than one is cheaper.

I see this Bosch, but it's $200 more than what I'm looking at:
»www.lowes.com/pd_632516- ··· WidgetID
GusHerb
join:2011-11-04
Chicago, IL

GusHerb to fartness

to fartness
Whirlpool owns just about everything (Including Maytag), but the Maytag dishwasher is still a different design then the Whirlpool (and KitchenAid).

The Maytag is the older tried and true Whirlpool design with a 1/3 HP motor and the newer Whirlpool design uses something like a 50 watt pond pump type of motor (I've seen pictures and they look horrible) The Maytag has the food grinder, whereas the Whirlpool has a filter since it doesn't have any means to grind up such particles. The Whirlpool also only cleans on one rack at a time and makes frequent stops during the cycle (since again it only uses a weak little pump with no power whatsoever), the Maytag cleans all racks at once and doesn't stop multiple times through the cycle.

The Maytag is an all around better design, my vote goes for that hands down.
dbamber
join:2003-02-07
Bandon, OR

dbamber to fartness

to fartness
We have had Bosch dishwashers in the last 3 houses we owned. The last 2 had a 3rd rack that made for great flexibility IMO. I bought the newest one last November. As the 10 year old Frigidaire started having the cycle timer sicking in the house we bought in Oregon. Our water was a little on the hard side, so we got a unit with a built in water softener. As a previous poster stated the unit is QUIET! Ours has a small spotlight that shines on the floor below the unit showing the time remaining on the cycle, as you can't hear when it's running . Also, the Bosch dishwashers are made in North Carolina. Which is a plus to me. I also looked at the Miele's, but they were a little pricier! But owning a couple of their vacuum cleaners makes me a fan of them. I know my sister bought a Bosch for her house on Cape Cod, and that was about $450 a couple of years ago.

mityfowl
Premium Member
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX

mityfowl to fartness

Premium Member

to fartness
I've got about a 3 year old Maytag »www.maytag.com/-[MDB6769 ··· 6769PAB/ that replaced a 24 year old brute of a Kitchen Aid.

I like everything about it except the hide away controls.

What you will notice is it takes about 2 hours to do a normal wash and dry cycle.

Asiabound
Ex-Pat
Premium Member
join:2002-12-21
Mabinay

2 recommendations

Asiabound to CylonRed

Premium Member

to CylonRed
said by CylonRed:

All newer detergents will actually tell you to not wash the kids ahead of time as well - they work better not cleaned first.

Well, you raise your kids as you see fit, and, I will do the same.

Jack in VA
Premium Member
join:2014-07-07
North, VA

4 edits

Jack in VA to GusHerb

Premium Member

to GusHerb
said by GusHerb:

Whirlpool owns just about everything (Including Maytag), but the Maytag dishwasher is still a different design then the Whirlpool (and KitchenAid).

The Maytag is the older tried and true Whirlpool design with a 1/3 HP motor and the newer Whirlpool design uses something like a 50 watt pond pump type of motor (I've seen pictures and they look horrible) The Maytag has the food grinder, whereas the Whirlpool has a filter since it doesn't have any means to grind up such particles. The Whirlpool also only cleans on one rack at a time and makes frequent stops during the cycle (since again it only uses a weak little pump with no power whatsoever), the Maytag cleans all racks at once and doesn't stop multiple times through the cycle.

The Maytag is an all around better design, my vote goes for that hands down.

That sure as hell doesn't describe any of the Whirlpools I've ever had or the one I've had since 2004. Uses weak pond pump? Wow. Also note image of Whirlpool food chopper and weak pond pump.
Perhaps your bias is showing?

OP go to some sites that do actual ratings of the dishwashers instead of personal bias and preferences. That might protect you from buying a lesser rated and more expensive appliance.

lacibaci
join:2000-04-10
Export, PA

lacibaci to fartness

to fartness
Whirlpool warranty - 1 year
Maytag warranty - 10 years

I'd go for Maytag.

Jack in VA
Premium Member
North, VA

1 edit

Jack in VA

Premium Member

What's covered: for 10 years labor is not covered

Stainless Steel Tub
Nylon Racks
Chopper

Everything else standard 1 year warrenty
Details here

»www.maytag.com/other-ass ··· hers.pdf

Boricua
Premium Member
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto

Boricua to fartness

Premium Member

to fartness
I needed to replace my dishwasher and I ended getting one from Sears. It takes a longer to wash when using Smart Wash but at least it saves me on wasting water because of the drought in my area. Also, it's very quiet compared to the previous one.

EDIT: I found this one that has a stainless steel tub, which I've read is better. I don't know if that Maytag is cheaper than your listed one.

rzaruba
join:2000-08-04

rzaruba to Jack in VA

to Jack in VA
quote:
What's covered: for 10 years labor is not covered

Stainless Steel Tub
Nylon Racks
Chopper
Thanks! That just saved me a lot!

Both of my racks are starting to corrode out and are missing vertical pieces.

Since they are discontinued, they cost an arm and a leg. The labor would be a bargain!

chamberc
Premium Member
join:2008-08-05
Addison, TX

chamberc to fartness

Premium Member

to fartness
Same company same parts. I will never buy Maytag/Jenn-Air, etc again.

PSWired
join:2006-03-26
Annapolis, MD

PSWired to fartness

to fartness
General note: modern dishwashers use less powerful pumps and smaller amounts of water to reduce energy consumption. The tradeoff is that cycle times are longer. My KitchenAid has a "quick" cycle option that runs the pump at a higher power level to cut the cycle time down at the expense of more energy usage. It's handy if you have people over and are doing multiple loads back-to-back, but otherwise I really don't mind the longer cycles since I usually run the dishwasher overnight anyway.

My parents have had several Bosch dishwashers. They're very quiet and seem to hold up well. The stainless interior stays good looking as the units age.

Shopping around for these things is really important. I think the KitchenAid I got back in 2010 retailed around $1000, but by shopping around I was able to find one for $500 something bucks new. I think it was an earlier equivalent to this model:

»www.kitchenaid.com/shop/ ··· E304DSS/

cowboyro
Premium Member
join:2000-10-11
CT

cowboyro to fartness

Premium Member

to fartness
I have a Whirlpool Gold. Washes great, not loud. Detergent makes a huge difference, get the banned one with phosphate. And rinse the food from the dishes before throwing them in...
fartness (banned)
Donald Trump 2016
Look Outside

fartness (banned)

Where do I get that detergent?

SparkChaser
Premium Member
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA

SparkChaser to fartness

Premium Member

to fartness
we bought a maytag a few years ago and if you want a 2 hr wash that doesn't clean that's the one to get

Jack in VA
Premium Member
North, VA

Jack in VA to cowboyro

Premium Member

to cowboyro
said by cowboyro:

I have a Whirlpool Gold. Washes great, not loud. Detergent makes a huge difference, get the banned one with phosphate. And rinse the food from the dishes before throwing them in...

That's what I have a Whirlpool Gold I bought in 2004 after Hurricane Isabel Kitchen repairs. Not the first problem with it in 11 years now.

jrs8084
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Statesville, NC

jrs8084 to cowboyro

Premium Member

to cowboyro
said by cowboyro:

And rinse the food from the dishes before throwing them in...

Is that where your big white dog becomes handy?

BK3
join:2001-04-10
Geneva, IL

BK3 to fartness

to fartness
My family and I use our dishwasher almost daily. We've had several brands, including (but not limited to) Maytag, Kitchen Aid and Whirlpool. Some were expensive models. None lasted more than 3 years. So, the last time we needed to replace it, we bought the cheapest we could find. A Roper for $199.99. This machine has proven to be the most reliable we have ever had. It is now in it's 5th year, going on 6 and shows no signs of stopping. It does not have any fancy features, and is not especially quiet (but not too noisy), but it cleans VERY well. Drying is not so great, but that is trivial to us.
Parneli
join:2004-12-28
Naperville, IL

Parneli to SparkChaser

to SparkChaser
Have you ever cleaned out the filter screen thing? When I notice our wash quality going down it has meant it's clogged. Happens about three year intervals or so. Get's weird stuff in there like dog hair...

I have yet to figure out why the dog is taking showers in there or how he gets out.

mityfowl
Premium Member
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX

mityfowl to fartness

Premium Member

to fartness
Roper=Whirlpool

BK3
join:2001-04-10
Geneva, IL

BK3

said by mityfowl:

Roper=Whirlpool

Which just goes to show that buying a brand name does not mean you are getting a better unit. Sometimes a Plain-Jane model without the name brand on it is the best choice.