St. John 3.16
Premium Member
join:2005-12-15
Forest Grove, OR

NOYB

Premium Member

Camera Security II

Poll
Do you believe it is possible for your computer's camera to be enable by special software without turning on the indicator light?

Yes

No

Votes:54

19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

1 recommendation

19579823 (banned)

If the indicator is part of the camera,I dont see how it can be disabled IF THE CAM IS ON.... (If its part of the actual camera and not something on your computer that GOES ON if it detects the cam on)

Brano
I hate Vogons
MVM
join:2002-06-25
Burlington, ON
(Software) OPNsense
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO
Ubiquiti NanoBeam M5 16

2 recommendations

Brano

MVM

Unless you've designed the camera board you'll never know if the LED can be separately controlled or not.

Similar example is Read-only HW slider on SD cards. You'd think it's a switch that opens or closes a circuit. But it's not. It's a simple slider that the card reader needs to read and decide whether to write to card or not. There are many systems where on low level you can write to SD card even when the slider is in RO position.
Secyurityet
Premium Member
join:2012-01-07
untied state
·T-Mobile

Secyurityet to 19579823

Premium Member

to 19579823
said by 19579823:

If the indicator is part of the camera,I dont see how it can be disabled IF THE CAM IS ON

Yet I have a Linksys WiFi networked camera on which blanking the "on" LED is a user-selectable setup option...
Nanaki (banned)
aka novaflare. pull punches? Na
join:2002-01-24
Akron, OH

2 recommendations

Nanaki (banned) to 19579823

to 19579823
LED control is separate on many devices from the camera look at android phones as one example.

GuruGuy
Premium Member
join:2002-12-16
Atlanta, GA

2 recommendations

GuruGuy to NOYB

Premium Member

to NOYB

Re: Camera Security II

Article within the last year (one of many using google search) that states that yes, it can be on without the light being activated.

»www.huffingtonpost.com/r ··· 896.html

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude to NOYB

Premium Member

to NOYB
Anything is possible. Hacking!

NOYB
St. John 3.16
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR

NOYB

Premium Member

It's interesting that an overwhelming majority of people say they believe the camera can be enabled by special software with out turning on the indicator light. Yet only about half say they obscure the camera. »Camera Security I

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal

1 recommendation

DocDrew

Premium Member

Maybe it's because we disable the camera in other ways or don't have a camera at all.

NOYB
St. John 3.16
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR

1 recommendation

NOYB

Premium Member

said by DocDrew:

Maybe it's because we disable the camera in other ways or don't have a camera at all.

Could be any number of things. Like just not caring or like me procrastination.

Didn't cover the camera on my notebook for more than a year. Even though I had always intended to do so. But finally as I was working on someone else's notebook and covered their camera, covered my camera too.

It's not anticipation that makes me wait. It's procrastination.
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave to NOYB

Premium Member

to NOYB
If you have no reason to believe you will encounter that 'special software', why go around sticking electrical tape over things?

NOYB
St. John 3.16
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR

NOYB

Premium Member

That could be another one of the number of reasons.

Trouble is how would one know their likelihood of encountering such software. Wouldn't think I'd have to be concerned about drive firmware either. But...
Covering the camera is insurance.