uniqs

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
join:2001-12-28
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

Are We About to Lose the Weather Channel??

Weird thing -

All my boxes rebooted at 1:30am EST.

Woke up this morning - noticed on the FIOS TV Home screen there was a box that said "Important Message" - TWC.

I clicked on it - it said Loading - and then I noticed that in barely 4pt font along the top of the screen it said:

"Weather Channel has chosen to put their viewers in the middle of business negotiations and has removed their programming".

However, 49, 119 and 619 are all still on this morning.

matcarl
Premium Member
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl

Premium Member

Wow, maybe the contract is up and TWC is demanding more money. We shall see.
This happened to Direct TV last year. TWC was off for three months.
chitchatjf
join:2008-07-13
Lawrence, MA

chitchatjf to SeattleMatt

to SeattleMatt
No notices in Mass

MagScribe
join:2001-08-20
West Chester, PA

MagScribe to SeattleMatt

to SeattleMatt
This would be poor timing for Universal/NBC. We're just coming out of the season where TWC gets the most eyeballs. From mid-March on, they could disappear any many viewers might not notice for months.

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
join:2001-12-28
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

They're probably pissed b/c VZ is one of the few MSO's that are too cheap to pony up for HD local forecasts. LOL.

bhan261
join:2001-02-12
New York, NY

bhan261 to SeattleMatt

to SeattleMatt
If they remove TWC, perhaps they'll substitute WeatherNation instead. That's what DISH did.

johnf2
VHO8
Premium Member
join:2001-12-31
Feasterville Trevose, PA

3 edits

johnf2 to SeattleMatt

Premium Member

to SeattleMatt
said by SeattleMatt:

All my boxes rebooted at 1:30am EST.

Same reboot here occurred around around 1:30 am, am also in VHO8, and also have that real tiny message about TWC being removed. As of now, TWC is still on.

JohnF
Expand your moderator at work
dfwguy
join:2013-10-24

dfwguy to MagScribe

to MagScribe

Re: Are We About to Lose the Weather Channel??

said by MagScribe:

This would be poor timing for Universal/NBC. We're just coming out of the season where TWC gets the most eyeballs. From mid-March on, they could disappear any many viewers might not notice for months.

Err, no. Hurricane season is what draws the big numbers. Probably tornado season next after that. Winter is the slow time of year, which is why they went through all the nonsense of naming winter storms. Try to get people interested in storms that generally aren't severe enough for anyone not affected by them to care.

matcarl
Premium Member
Franklin Square, NY

1 edit

matcarl

Premium Member

said by dfwguy:

Winter is the slow time of year, which is why they went through all the nonsense of naming winter storms. Try to get people interested in storms that generally aren't severe enough for anyone not affected by them to care.

Wrong! All the weather geeks come out in winter and live for the snowstorms. There were a lot of snowstorms affecting half the country this winter, don't tell me people weren't glued watching the devastation that was caused and wondering if they were in the path or not.

johnf2
VHO8
Premium Member
join:2001-12-31
Feasterville Trevose, PA

johnf2

Premium Member

said by matcarl:

There was a lot of snowstorms affecting half the country this winter, don't tell me people weren't glued watching the devastation that was caused and wondering if they were in the path or not.

Totally agree, matcarl!
RobertMets12
join:2010-10-16

RobertMets12 to SeattleMatt

to SeattleMatt
I searched everywhere I can't find any info maybe this is a mistake. Because usually when it says that it has been removed it usually is removed. Why can't we hardly see the words and why is it still on I don't understand this.
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

elefante72

With the WU app I haven't tuned into any weather channel for some time. That and a quick link to noaa.gov or you local TV station is all you really need unless you are into weather events for sport. It's more of a weather entertainment channel now..

I think they are a causality of technology and smartphones doing a more personalized job with on demand info.

matcarl
Premium Member
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl

Premium Member

People still like to see the live updates when storms hit, like Sandy, or all the snow we had this winter. Local News won't show you the whole country. It may be a niche channel, but aren't they all now?

amarryat
Verizon FiOS
join:2005-05-02
Marshfield, MA

1 recommendation

amarryat to matcarl

to matcarl
said by matcarl:

All the weather geeks come out in winter and live for the snowstorms.

True. But does anyone watch TWC any more? 15 years ago I always had it on, even for background noise. Then it become reality TV. I never watch any more - if I want weather, I either go to the web, or watch the actual local forecast on the local TV stations.
DAVIDGR
join:2005-03-08
Mount Pleasant, SC

DAVIDGR to SeattleMatt

to SeattleMatt
No notice in VH05 - NY
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

2 edits

elefante72 to matcarl

to matcarl
local news does in my area, but if not noaa does. Where do you think your TV station gets its data from? NOAA.

In any case this is just another channel in the Comcast empire. I am happy to see them suffer.

I just tuned. No notice (VHO15) However they were talking about Hillary Clinton using personal email. Not sure that is weather related...
blue_trooper
join:2007-04-17
Exton, PA

blue_trooper

said by elefante72:

However they were talking about Hillary Clinton using personal email. Not sure that is weather related...

That depends. Could have been "Bill, sleet forecast for tonight. Get milk, eggs, bread. Thanks! - HRC"
RobertMets12

RobertMets12 to elefante72

to elefante72
The notice is in the home screen the wording is so small you can hardly see it.
Myzteziz
join:2014-06-26
Port Richey, FL

Myzteziz

No reboot or notice here in FL.

nycdave
MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY

1 recommendation

nycdave to SeattleMatt

MVM

to SeattleMatt
Matt, that message must be a glitch. There is nothing pending for TWC or any announcements around a carriage issue.
RobertMets12

to SeattleMatt
I'm in a Verizon live chat the rep is saying there's no change so your right it's probably a glitch.
RobertMets12

to SeattleMatt
I have further Info from technical support the rep is telling me to ignore that message it's a technical issue.
Acct101
Premium Member
join:2011-09-20
Bensalem, PA

Acct101

Premium Member

I saw that message this morning, but could not read it. Let the weather channel go...

Too much other programming on there anyway.

Branch
:D
Premium Member
join:2014-07-22
VHO 4

Branch

Premium Member

Ok, so I think it is fair to say that this message was a bug and FIOS SUBSCRIBERS WILL NOT BE LOSING TWC in the near future.
ansky
join:2009-05-18
West Orange, NJ

ansky to Acct101

to Acct101
said by Acct101:

I saw that message this morning, but could not read it. Let the weather channel go...

Too much other programming on there anyway.

Some of that "other programming" is actually pretty good.
billhere
join:2011-10-21
Santa Monica, CA

billhere to SeattleMatt

to SeattleMatt
I have pretty much given up on the Weather Channel, which has way too many commercials. I may watch it briefly when there's a big hurricane or snowstorm.

Southern California weather doesn't change much from day to day, although we did have hail at the beach on Sunday.
bobscho
join:2005-12-12
Morrisville, PA

bobscho to SeattleMatt

to SeattleMatt
said by SeattleMatt:

They're probably pissed b/c VZ is one of the few MSO's that are too cheap to pony up for HD local forecasts. LOL.

HD is great, but how important is it for a couple minutes of local weather?
Timothy28
join:2006-05-13
Lewisville, TX

Timothy28 to SeattleMatt

to SeattleMatt
Got the reboot here but no message.
webcobbler
join:2013-03-09
Rumson, NJ

webcobbler

Timothy28,

No reboot for me.

Did this also happen at the same time as JeepMatt? 1:30AM?