spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Timothy28
join:2006-05-13
Lewisville, TX

Timothy28 to webcobbler

to webcobbler

Re: Are We About to Lose the Weather Channel??

It did. I remember because i was watching one of my shows on the DVR and had to start it over.
webcobbler
join:2013-03-09
Rumson, NJ

webcobbler

Timothy28,

It's weird how some have reboots, and others don't. In this regard, that is.
Timothy28
join:2006-05-13
Lewisville, TX

Timothy28

It is, you would think it would've been system wide reboot.
Expand your moderator at work
webcobbler
Rumson, NJ

webcobbler to Timothy28

to Timothy28

Re: Are We About to Lose the Weather Channel??

My VMS rebooted last night, right around 1:30AM.

I wonder if it is related to your reboot at the same time the previous night, and JeepMatt's reboot as well?

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt to amarryat

Premium Member

to amarryat
said by amarryat:

said by matcarl:

All the weather geeks come out in winter and live for the snowstorms.

True. But does anyone watch TWC any more? 15 years ago I always had it on, even for background noise. Then it become reality TV. I never watch any more - if I want weather, I either go to the web, or watch the actual local forecast on the local TV stations.

Sure I still watch it on occasion. But like all other channels I certainly don't watch it live. The last thing I want to do is see a bunch of commercials.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

Subaru to amarryat

Premium Member

to amarryat
said by amarryat:

said by matcarl:

True. But does anyone watch TWC any more? 15 years ago I always had it on, even for background noise. Then it become reality TV. I never watch any more - if I want weather, I either go to the web, or watch the actual local forecast on the local TV stations.

The weather channel back in 1995 was great.. no BS.. I think I stopped watching the station back around 2003 or so
webcobbler
Rumson, NJ

webcobbler

Subaru,

The News in general is poo. Putting it nicely. Now especially the weather. They make you think that is will be cold as Hell outside with wind-chill (and they never give the true temperature) , or whatever scenario you will like.

I just use the actual app. I don't trust what they say in TV anymore.

YMMV

BTW, I like your handle.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

I just go to the NOAA app on my phone or the website.. I rather just get it from the source

iNick
Premium Member
join:2012-12-11
Joliet, IL

iNick to amarryat

Premium Member

to amarryat
said by amarryat:

said by matcarl:

I turned on TWC three times in the past few months and once they were inside a football stadium talking about FOOTBALL, My Dad over on the couch saying Nick turn on the damn weather channel I didn't ask for ESPN.
TonyD79
join:2010-04-08
Ellicott City, MD

TonyD79 to SeattleMatt

to SeattleMatt
The Weather Channel reeks but I do use weather scan on channel 49, which we would also lose if we lost the weather channel.
bsangs
join:2002-08-21
Montclair, NJ

bsangs

said by TonyD79:

The Weather Channel reeks but I do use weather scan on channel 49, which we would also lose if we lost the weather channel.

Our local Weather Scan channel mainly gives us the forecasts for Central and Southern NJ. Beyond useless.
ansky
join:2009-05-18
West Orange, NJ

ansky

said by bsangs:

said by TonyD79:

Our local Weather Scan channel mainly gives us the forecasts for Central and Southern NJ. Beyond useless.

That's not true. They include forecasts for Denville, Ridgewood, and Newark. That's a pretty good sampling from north Jersey. They do include some Central NJ towns like Toms River, but I have never seen any South Jersey towns.

Drunkula
Premium Member
join:2000-06-12
Denton, TX

Drunkula to SeattleMatt

Premium Member

to SeattleMatt
IF it does go away, I'd miss Prospectors. I dig that show.
bsangs
join:2002-08-21
Montclair, NJ

bsangs to ansky

to ansky
said by ansky:

said by bsangs:

said by TonyD79:

That's not true. They include forecasts for Denville, Ridgewood, and Newark. That's a pretty good sampling from north Jersey. They do include some Central NJ towns like Toms River, but I have never seen any South Jersey towns.

Sorry, my bad. Showing my Jersey geography ignorance I guess. It's not fair to consider anything below me Central or Southern NJ. But my point was I see forecasts for other areas much more than I do mine. Granted, I hardly watch it anymore, but when I did, that was the case.

seaquake
MVM
join:2001-03-23
Millersville, MD

seaquake to Drunkula

MVM

to Drunkula
said by Drunkula:

This is my problem with the Weather Channel. I've watched it every morning for the past 15 or 20 years before leaving for work. In November, they dumped the morning show and expanded their reality TV showings. And now Al Roker comes on at 5am. Comcast/Universal is driving TWC into the ground just like they did with the SciFi channel.

I also saw the replacement for TWC on Direct TV when it first switched. It was so bad I couldn't watch it. Maybe it got better?
ansky
join:2009-05-18
West Orange, NJ

ansky

said by seaquake:

said by Drunkula:

This is my problem with the Weather Channel. I've watched it every morning for the past 15 or 20 years before leaving for work. In November, they dumped the morning show and expanded their reality TV showings. And now Al Roker comes on at 5am. Comcast/Universal is driving TWC into the ground just like they did with the SciFi channel.

I also saw the replacement for TWC on Direct TV when it first switched. It was so bad I couldn't watch it. Maybe it got better?

The new morning show is America's Morning Headquarters. How is that any worse (or different) than what they had in the mornings before?

seaquake
MVM
Millersville, MD

seaquake

MVM

You're thinking of the 7am offering. I watched the early morning show that started at 4:00 or 4:30 am. They focused on weather and not general news and crap like they do with Al and AMHQ. Looking back, I didn't specify I was watching ~ 5am
dewdude
pfSense on xcp-ng Asterisk geek
join:2010-03-27
Manassas, VA
·voip.ms
(Software) pfSense
(Software) DD-WRT

dewdude to SeattleMatt

to SeattleMatt
I for one don't care. I was watching WeatherNation put out by one of the OTA locals; but they dropped it in favor of more niche programming.

I have to flip to 49 if I want any kind of weather; every time I flip on weather channel they're talking about something else besides weather; or showing reality crap.

they're turning in to the next MTV....where they focus on everything except what thier channel name is. If they think viewers want to see prices go up for their crap; forget it.

What would you expect from a channel that's basically owned by Comcast?

Good riddence; I fully support Verizon dropping TWC, picking up WeatherNation; and never looking back. If TWC is just too self-absorbed to care.

matcarl
Premium Member
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl

Premium Member

said by dewdude:

Good riddence; I fully support Verizon dropping TWC, picking up WeatherNation; and never looking back. If TWC is just too self-absorbed to care.

Verizon is not dropping TWC, I guess you didn't read the entire thread.

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium Member
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ

dennismurphy to webcobbler

Premium Member

to webcobbler
Click for full size
said by webcobbler:

wunderground.com

dcowboy
join:2012-05-10
Pequannock, NJ

dcowboy to webcobbler

to webcobbler
said by webcobbler:

I did....they said snow 1-3 inches....we got 6....theyre all morons.

Branch
:D
Premium Member
join:2014-07-22
VHO 4

1 edit

Branch

Premium Member

We could go on all day about whether TWC is good or not.

Bottom line... Jeep's message was a glitch, and whether you like it or not, TWC is NOT being dropped from the FiOS lineup.

EDIT: Jeep's message was for real! Bye bye TWC!

Cy
@verizon.net

Cy to matcarl

Anon

to matcarl
It's official:

Dear Valued Verizon Customer,

Verizon’s agreements to carry The Weather Channel and Weather Scan have expired, and have not been renewed. In today’s environment, customers are increasingly accessing weather information not only from their TV but from a variety of online sources and apps. Verizon is therefore pleased to launch the new AccuWeather Network, which will be available on FiOS® TV on channel 119/619 (HD) and on our free FiOS Mobile App starting March 10, 2015. Verizon will also provide the FiOS TV WeatherBug “widget” application, which features hyper-local weather, on FiOS TV channel 49. WeatherBug can also be launched by pressing the “widget” button on the FiOS TV remote.

Sincerely,

Your Verizon Team

bohratom
My Jersey Giants finally winning again..
join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ

bohratom to SeattleMatt

to SeattleMatt
Anyone know what the facts are yet as I trust NYCDave 100% as everything he has said turned out to be true...

seaquake
MVM
Millersville, MD

seaquake

MVM

said by bohratom:

Anyone know what the facts are yet as I trust NYCDave 100% as everything he has said turned out to be true...

As of 0500 this morning, Weatherscan local is gone with a message that it is no longer available and that my FiOS service is working properly. The Weather Channel is GONE and has been replaced by "Accuweather". The channel has some audio quality problems which hopefully will be fixed.

Bye Bye Jim Cantore

matcarl
Premium Member
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl

Premium Member

I got the same email. Maybe NYCDave wasn't aware of this at the time?
mikeluscher159
join:2011-09-04

mikeluscher159 to SeattleMatt

to SeattleMatt
I'm in NYC/VHO-5 and just got the same email.

TWC was going down hill, let's see if AccuWeather is any better.

Funny, I'm on 619 right now and its still showing in the guide as TWC and associated info, but it's the AccuWeather channel. Major audio issues, but I assume it'll be fixed.

matcarl
Premium Member
Franklin Square, NY

1 edit

matcarl

Premium Member

Yeah, the audio is all messed up