Sentinel
Premium Member
join:2001-02-07
Florida

1 edit

Sentinel

Premium Member

[Updated] Avast anti-virus engine 2214

Looks like Avast anti-virus updated the program itself yesterday to 2015.10.2.2214 . Looking for more info about it now ...

»www.avast.com/en-us/index

The announcement:
»forum.avast.com/index.ph ··· 167184.0

What's new:

- Improved Windows 10 Compatibility

- Browser Cleanup integrated to Avast UI and added to Smart Scan

- WebShield improvements for faster browsing and fixed issues with expired certificates

- Avast NG virtualization – performance and stability fixes

- AccessAnywhere feature is removed and replaced with remote connection feature available through Account screen in all editions(not limited to Premier)

- New design of Chrome plugin

- Better license activation during setup
Sentinel

Sentinel

Premium Member

I don't know if anyone else noticed this or not but on my machines the update added 2 new firewalls rules for itself in the inbound side. Avast NG Front End.

Anyone know what that is for?
computerman2
Premium Member
join:2002-04-20
Trenton, MI

1 recommendation

computerman2

Premium Member

Some Information here It takes a snapshot of your drive thereby enhancing "Deepscreen";)

Some information about new avast! NG component: our classic sandbox technology (used for DeepScreen, Sandbox and SafeZone components) restricts a sandboxed application to modify your system. As Windows OS is quite rich for various APIs and frameworks, we need to monitor more and more OS functions invoked from the unknown applications. This works perfect for Sandbox/SafeZone, but it's not enough for DeepScreen analysis. When a malware is analyzed in DeepScreen, we'd like to allow it to behave freely without any restrictions and monitor only its activities. Unfortunately, we might end up very soon if it tries e.g. to load a kernel-mode driver (you can't monitor kernel-mode, and if it gets there, it can control your entire OS, hide itself, connect to internet, ...), or use some undocumented system calls on 64-bit OSes (we use own hypervisor driver to fully protect 64-bit OSes, but this doesn't work on older PCs or with disabled VT-X/AMD-V feature in BIOS).

Avast! NG helps us to analyze malware real-time totally without any restrictions - it can load a kernel driver, it can delete any Windows files, format your volume, everything it wishes. The malware is executed on your OS using VirtualBox engine and the entire OS with malware is monitored. NG was heavily tested for a few months by our user base and we have fixed various HW/SW conflicts and tuned performance. After avast installation, it takes a couple of minutes to prepare NG (this is executed in the background with normal priority in this Beta, it'll be on idle priority in final release).

Avast! NG system requirements:
- physical machine
- Vista+ (32-bit OS with 1.5GB+ RAM, 64-bit with 2.5Gb+ RAM), XP will be supported in final release
- VT-X/AMD-V must be enabled in BIOS for all Win8+ 32-bit OS and for all 64-bit OSes (NG will work correctly on other OSes without VT-X/AMD-V)
- 10% free space on system disk, not less than 2GB (this won't be required in final release)
- in RTM, NG will be disabled on slower computers
If NG components is missing in custom installation, you can check "setup.log" why NG can't be installed on your computer.
Sentinel
Premium Member
Florida

Sentinel

Premium Member

That helps. Thanks.
computerman2
Premium Member
join:2002-04-20
Trenton, MI

computerman2

Premium Member

Your Welcome, glad it helped

gwalk
Premium Member
join:2005-07-27
West Mich.

gwalk to Sentinel

Premium Member

to Sentinel
How much has changed in the amount of data that version of Avast uses ?
That is a big issue for me with a ISP with very tight data caps (Hughesnet satellite Internet)
Sentinel
Premium Member
Florida

Sentinel

Premium Member

Data? I'm sorry I don't understand the question.
My anti-virus uses no data if you mean connecting out to the internet. I have a firewall that blocks all traffic out and in unless I specifically allow it.

Do you mean when I update the virus definitions during an update?

gwalk
Premium Member
join:2005-07-27
West Mich.

gwalk

Premium Member

Any anti-virus program is going to consume data ... program updates, virus definition updates that can occur several times per day, any "feedback" will consume data as information is sent up to the program publishers.

I pay a comparative fortune for Internet Service .. $90.00 per month and I am one of the lucky ones with a "generous" data allowance of 50GB per month between 8am and 2am and another 50GB they is used between 2am to 8am

Like I said .. I'm lucky, other Hughes users have plans as low as 5GB for the entire month ...
If you exceed your allowance your speeds are throttled to nearly nothing.

Those of use on metered plans are vitally concerned with the amount of upload and download totals for essential services.
Sentinel
Premium Member
Florida

1 recommendation

Sentinel

Premium Member

said by gwalk:

Any anti-virus program is going to consume data ... program updates, virus definition updates that can occur several times per day, any "feedback" will consume data as information is sent up to the program publishers.

I agree ... IF ... you leave it set up default and do nothing to stop it. But I don't.
As I said, I turn off everything like auto updates and any type of communication that it has. Also I have a firewall that blocks all traffic unless I specifically allow it. Thus no data consumption other than updates that I allow and only when I allow them.