All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
tonynh
join:2015-02-17

tonynh

When is the ZyXel needed?

On the heels of my first thread and getting rid of coax moca setup, before I replace my DVR for skipping and slo mo issues, today I just plugged in the cat5 directly from the ONT into the WAN port of the DVR set top box and changed the stb setting to dhcp. Its working great, no DVR playback issues. There's still some blocking with fast movement, but its not terrible.

The dvr stb is in the living room. If I run cat5 from the bedrooms nondvr to the living room DVR stb's LAN port, will this allow separate viewing and DVR functionality/whole house?

Then I would just run a second cat5 from the ONT to the living room and to the zyxel to facilitate internet and wireless. I'm ok with this versus a switch since there's already 2 holes in my floor from where the coax was.
CVGNet
join:2012-04-10
Cincinnati, OH

CVGNet

This works - but beware that the public IP is now directly on the STB which is not desirable from a security perspective.

The ZyXel provides the firewall functionality unless you provide your firewall.

Plugging a second cable into the ONT will not work - those ports are capable of being provisioned separately so they are not automatically in a switch group.
tonynh
join:2015-02-17

tonynh

Thanks for the insight, cvgnet. I spoke too soon, I was just still seeing some slow mo issues. I hooked the stb back up to the zyxel, the stb doesn't appear to care if its setup as dhcp vs lan?

I'm trying to do as much as I can from home, I have anxiety issues and trying to get out of the house to a cinbell store is my last resort.

When my cat5 is delivered from amazon, do you think it'd be worth running a new line from the ONT as well? The techs line looks fine, though it is pretty taught in a few of the clips. The connecters looks crimped correctly.
CVGNet
join:2012-04-10
Cincinnati, OH

CVGNet

The DVR playback issues seem to be somewhat unpredictable, but when you are playing from the DVR to the attached TV the DVR's connection to the ONT isn't really in us for that playback, so I wouldn't focus on that connection for now.