RIP lilhurricane and CJ
Premium Member
join:2002-01-30
Canon City, CO

GadgetsRme

Premium Member

Is this code compliant?

drawer outlet
I know what I think but would like to hear from the pros.

PoloDude
Premium Member
join:2006-03-29
Aiken, SC

PoloDude

Premium Member

How is the outlet connected?

GadgetsRme
RIP lilhurricane and CJ
Premium Member
Canon City, CO

GadgetsRme

Premium Member

said by PoloDude:

How is the outlet connected?

Good question. The wife saw this and showed me the pic. What you see is what I got.

tp0d
yabbazooie
Premium Member
join:2001-02-13
Bulger, PA

tp0d to GadgetsRme

Premium Member

to GadgetsRme
Compliant if its attached to a GCFI outlet/breaker. Also there should be a box attached to the back of that drawer, and some sort of approved flex wire connection, prob something coiled

-j

PoloDude
Premium Member
join:2006-03-29
Aiken, SC

PoloDude to GadgetsRme

Premium Member

to GadgetsRme
My daughters night table has a power strip in the draw. The strip is mounted in the draw and the cord just feeds out over the top back of the draw.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
·Charter

2 recommendations

nunya to GadgetsRme

MVM

to GadgetsRme
The instance you posted probably is not code compliant (what's behind there?). It's probably a kludge somebody came up with from Pintrest or LifeHacker. If I were an inspector, I would fail it for an unlisted assembly. That's probably the best I could come up with.
Sometimes common sense has to take over where code leaves off. I can think of a few things that could go terribly wrong with this scenario.

However, there are UL listed drawer outlet assemblies.

pende_tim
Premium Member
join:2004-01-04
Selbyville, DE

pende_tim to GadgetsRme

Premium Member

to GadgetsRme
Why do we need this? If there are not enough outlets on the counter top, expand one to a double gang box.

Personally I would be very hesitant to put a hair dryer (or any other appliance) away in a drawer while plugged in.
doechsli
join:2003-11-26
Louisville, KY

doechsli

I have a dresser and bedside tables purchased from a major furniture retailer that has power strips in the top drawer. While a hair dryer seems a bit excessive, I do charge my cell phone using the power strip.
Expand your moderator at work

cybersaga
join:2011-12-19
Selby, ON

cybersaga to GadgetsRme

to GadgetsRme

Re: Is this code compliant?

I had looked into this before. I think it's a great idea, if it's done right. As mentioned, code compliance depends on how it was done.

Two things off the top of my head that the code has to say about this:
1. Flexible cord cannot be used in permanent installations. So that outlet cannot be connected with flexible (extension-cord like) cable.
2. If an outlet is in a drawer, the power has to be cut off when the drawer is closed.

Disclaimer: I'm Canadian, and I've read only the Canadian code. But the NEC and CEC have a lot in common.
telco_mtl
join:2012-01-06

telco_mtl

I always wondered about these situations, my barber has been in the same place for 40 years and has outlets on BX floating in his drawers, always looked unsafe to me!

John Galt6
Forward, March
Premium Member
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp

John Galt6 to GadgetsRme

Premium Member

to GadgetsRme
That's been around for 30+ years. As tp0d See Profile indicates, the drawer recep is connected with a flexible cord.

Barring any local AHJ restrictions, it is Code compliant.

Jack in VA
Premium Member
join:2014-07-07
North, VA

Jack in VA

Premium Member

said by John Galt6:

That's been around for 30+ years. As tp0d See Profile indicates, the drawer recep is connected with a flexible cord.

Barring any local AHJ restrictions, it is Code compliant.

We had 600 volt 4 conductor coiled cords running 480 volts for motors all over the plant. They were permanent installations.

John Galt6
Forward, March
Premium Member
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp

John Galt6

Premium Member

No argument from me in that regard.

It's perfectly acceptable. The Code prohibition is generally for extension cords, not circumstances that warrant a flexible cord. People take that prohibition to mean flexible cords in any circumstance.

cableties
Premium Member
join:2005-01-27

cableties to pende_tim

Premium Member

to pende_tim
I agree. How many times I've put the dryer in the cabinet, only to get later, plug in and it comes on! The buttons turned on when placed in the cabinet. What happens when that accidentally turns on when put in drawer?
Chargers for shavers, dental hygiene appliances, hair appliances (woman's curling/straightening irons, hair dryers,...) do need an outlet but should not always be at or on the vanity.

EliteData
EliteData
Premium Member
join:2003-07-06
Philippines

EliteData

Premium Member

i would imagine after awhile the dryer would thermally cut out and turn back on once cooled sufficiently.
depending on what else is inside the draw though could be damaged by heat.
but it would be difficult to be ignorant of the sound of the dryer running inside the draw to begin with.

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

mackey

Premium Member

said by EliteData:

but it would be difficult to be ignorant of the sound of the dryer running inside the draw to begin with.

You vastly underestimate human stupidity

EliteData
EliteData
Premium Member
join:2003-07-06
Philippines

EliteData

Premium Member

said by mackey:

said by EliteData:

in that case, im glad im not married

GadgetsRme
RIP lilhurricane and CJ
Premium Member
Canon City, CO

3 recommendations

GadgetsRme

Premium Member

Thanks to all who replied. I told the wife it is not compliant with the GadgetsRme Electrical Code and no amount of discussion was going to change it.
Nanaki (banned)
aka novaflare. pull punches? Na
join:2002-01-24
Akron, OH

Nanaki (banned) to nunya

to nunya
A friend has a set up like this. While it looks like a outlet and works like one it is actually a coiled extension cord with a outlet like end on it that fastens on by the face plate and a lip around the head of the extension cord. It may be that or a outlet box put in the same way as a reg one in a wall.

tp0d
yabbazooie
Premium Member
join:2001-02-13
Bulger, PA

tp0d to mackey

Premium Member

to mackey
said by mackey:

said by EliteData:

Amen

ArgMeMatey
join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI

ArgMeMatey to GadgetsRme

to GadgetsRme
Click for full size
Click for full size
Does the receptacle really need to be mounted in the drawer?

My bathroom has a duplex receptacle in a Wiremold box, mounted to the inside rear wall of the vanity, directly behind a drawer. One receptacle is live all the time. My toothbrush charger sits in the drawer and plugs in there. The other receptacle is controlled by a red pilot-lighted switch on the wall above the vanity. I can't recall ever using it, but if some future yahoo wanted to leave a hair dryer plugged in there with a long cord, they might as well know that it has power.

I also have six receptacles above the vanity - two unswitched on my side, two switched and two unswitched on my wife's side. The switched ones are controlled by a spring-wound timer, for powering a hair dryer and curling iron or flat iron, whatever is in style this decade.
microphone
Premium Member
join:2009-04-29
Parkville, MD

microphone to GadgetsRme

Premium Member

to GadgetsRme

It would only be a matter of time before I'd have a hurried moment and slam the drawer shut on the cord, cutting it off.
tcope
Premium Member
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT

tcope to pende_tim

Premium Member

to pende_tim
A person might not want all the clutter on the counter. Place the dryer in the draw and the wires are put away at the same time.

Tursiops_G
Technoid
MVM
join:2002-02-06
Brooksville, FL
ARRIS TM1602

Tursiops_G to tcope

MVM

to tcope

Code compliant or not, As long as the wiring is protected from pinching/damage from repeated opening and closing, and there's a Closure Switch (Microswitch) in circuit that shuts OFF the power to the outlet when the draw(er) is fully closed, I'd have no problem with having that in My own home, IMHO...

garys_2k
Premium Member
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

garys_2k to GadgetsRme

Premium Member

to GadgetsRme

If the pigtail connecting that outlet plugs into another, permanently installed outlet then the code stops at that permanently installed outlet and the thing in the drawer is part of a homebrew extension cord.

bobbagels
Just Another Scorpion Mechwarrior
Premium Member
join:2000-11-15
Matawan, NJ

bobbagels to GadgetsRme

Premium Member

to GadgetsRme
Its what I call "home owner genius)