spc
Search similar:

uniqs

netjinkxing
@xplornet.com

netjinkxing

Anon

Small Wisp Startup

Hello like many others I am trying to gather information on starting a wisp in my area. Right now i am looking at around 50 customers tops to begin with. The reason for starting a wisp is that my community/ area is locked into horrible plans by the few rural providers in my area and I want this to change. Right now I am so confused by all the information I have read and just need some help. I want to use UBNT for the majority of my setup as I have read many great reviews for their equipment. I am stuck on what each piece of equipment does or what i need for a bare minimum to get started. Sorry the repetitive thread.
Thanks for any help you can lend me

John Galt6
Forward, March
Premium Member
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp

John Galt6

Premium Member

Where are you located?
raytaylor
join:2009-07-28

raytaylor to netjinkxing

to netjinkxing
You need to start going back through every post in this forum and start learning.
It goes back a couple of years and there are heaps of questions that you would never have thought to ask.

once you have read through every post, and read the replies to anything that has peaked your interest, come back and ask some more questions.

It takes about 6+ months of research in these forums and planning before you are ready to deploy.

DaDawgs
Premium Member
join:2010-08-02
Deltaville, VA

1 recommendation

DaDawgs

Premium Member

said by raytaylor:

You need to start going back through every post in this forum and start learning.
It goes back a couple of years and there are heaps of questions that you would never have thought to ask.

once you have read through every post, and read the replies to anything that has peaked your interest, come back and ask some more questions.

It takes about 6+ months of research in these forums and planning before you are ready to deploy.

Ray is right. If you go it completely alone and you trust nobody and you refuse help. You can learn everything you need to know in six months of reading this forum.

On the other hand, you can ask. People will answer. You can cut that to maybe 8 weeks plus or minus. If you have the money and don't mind contracting, you can have someone on the ground before next Monday who can start building you out before the following Monday.

itcrew.com

netjinkxing
@sts.ab.ca

netjinkxing to John Galt6

Anon

to John Galt6
I am located in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. Postal code is T2j5g5. I am 5 minutes into the countryside from my mail box. I specifically wanted to know since I am not close to a bandwidth wholesale tower, would I be able to beam the bandwidth to my main tower and then redistribute the signal to clients? Thanks for the help.

John Galt6
Forward, March
Premium Member
Happy Camp

John Galt6

Premium Member

The short answer is yes...but that depends on a lot of factors, the primary ones being where is this bandwidth source located, and do you have clear LOS to it?
John Galt6

John Galt6

Premium Member

I found four datacenters in Calgary...

Netjinkxing
@xplornet.com

Netjinkxing

Anon

Would you mind listing them for me? I can check tomorrow to see if any data centres could supply me with the direct line of site needed for this to work. I will also take everyones advice and read more articles on this forum about starting a wisp. Do data centres commonly resell bandwidth to small isp's or would i look into a different way of receiving bandwidth and re distributing it? Thanks for all the help I've gotten so far
raytaylor
join:2009-07-28

raytaylor to netjinkxing

to netjinkxing
Dont just look at the ones about starting a wisp - we usually tell those people to read and come back just like we told you.
Read all the topics because there will be questions that you didnt think to ask.

Usually you can rent some rackspace in a data centre and host say a router and couple of POE injectors. Then rent some roofspace and run a cat5 cable between the radio on the roof and your router/poe in the rack.

Bandwidth providers will deliver the bandwidth to your rack in the data centre.

John Galt6
Forward, March
Premium Member
Happy Camp

John Galt6 to netjinkxing

Premium Member

to netjinkxing
Here you go...

»www.datacentermap.com/ca ··· calgary/

KaylaIT
FTTB
Premium Member
join:2012-07-26
Calgary, AB

KaylaIT to Netjinkxing

Premium Member

to Netjinkxing
I know there are several more datacenters than in the link above, however which direction are you looking at servicing? I am in Calgary as well and depending on where you are located it is possible to have the connection back fed to a POP that is closer to the main distribution site instead of trying to run it from the datacenters in the city.

John Galt6
Forward, March
Premium Member
Happy Camp

John Galt6

Premium Member

Yes...this ^^

netjinkxing
@xplornet.com

netjinkxing to KaylaIT

Anon

to KaylaIT
Well if you know spruce meadows I live in the countryside near by. I am looking to service the limited people around me that want better service. Like before around 50 customers. My hope was to setup two towers one at the data center to beam bandwidth and the other to recieve it and disturbed to the area around myself. Nice to see you live in Calgary:)

KaylaIT
FTTB
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

KaylaIT

Premium Member

I don't believe there is any datacenters that would allow a tower to be installed, they may allow a mast with a radio but that may not be enough. Typically with that setup you will also need to be renting colo space for the gear and still pay for an internet connection which varies depending on the datacenter. One idea is depending on what needs to be achieved maybe consider getting a more established WISP to provide a back haul link to your tower with required bandwidth and then redistribute the service to the end users. This would save on the costs associated with the datacenter unless space is already required for the gear. Would the distribution point be on your property south of the city?

Netjinkxing
@sts.ab.ca

Netjinkxing

Anon

I'm not totally sure yet but the tower for re distribution would either be on my property or on a hill nearby that can cover the areas surrounding it. I have contacted rig star data centre as they seem to be the closest data centre that may be able to supply bandwidth to me. Once I get a response on what my options are from them I will put another message on this thread with an updated response. Thanks for the help.

KaylaIT
FTTB
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

KaylaIT

Premium Member

No problem
xjinkxing
join:2015-03-29
Calgary, AB

xjinkxing

Hey I made an account now so this is what I will be using from now on. Rig-star sadly never got back to me after 3 emails. Seems like they just do not care. I am looking into a couple other data centers but may be out of luck since most seem to be near downtown making beaming to me very hard to do. If I wanted to look into local wisps in my area how could I find some? If you have a service or something to bring up a list of them around Calgary that would be great, thanks for the help.

KaylaIT
FTTB
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

KaylaIT

Premium Member

My recommendation would be someone like CCI, there is also Hybrid Wireless and Platinum communications.

CCI has their own infrastructure so they do not rely on Axia to get to site normally.
prairiesky
join:2008-12-08
canada

prairiesky to xjinkxing

to xjinkxing
said by xjinkxing:

Hey I made an account now so this is what I will be using from now on. Rig-star sadly never got back to me after 3 emails. Seems like they just do not care. I am looking into a couple other data centers but may be out of luck since most seem to be near downtown making beaming to me very hard to do. If I wanted to look into local wisps in my area how could I find some? If you have a service or something to bring up a list of them around Calgary that would be great, thanks for the help.

»yycix.ca/peers.html

Start here. See if you can get into the exchange. Bandwidth will be cheap there. There's a list of people who might be interested in helping you out.

KaylaIT
FTTB
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

KaylaIT

Premium Member

For transit yes however we are trying to get backhaul to his tower, for this case getting service through someone else will be cheaper.