uniqs
howi
join:2005-07-27
Mississauga, ON

1 edit

howi to LZYKNOWLEDGE

to LZYKNOWLEDGE

Re: [Internet] Rogers New Internet Package and Pricing

I bought the CGN3 during a sale at BestBuy, after renting it for months. Now, I have been told the system will automatically deduct the modem rental portion with the IGNITE plans, just like before...

{UPDATE}... until I have told by another 2 agents (1 social media, 1 on the phone) that is NOT the case: the new IGNITE tiers will NOT credit the "included modem rental" portion like as with the Hybrid Fibre tiers! So, forget about the $14/month value on the CGN3ACR or $12/month for the CGN3 we have purchased at FS/BB because it essentially turn these savings into garbage! I am not alone... »communityforums.rogers.c ··· 8#M23148

Acrimonius
join:2014-12-06

Acrimonius to LZYKNOWLEDGE

to LZYKNOWLEDGE
said by LZYKNOWLEDGE:

Did you guys buy the CGN3? .... I believe it is better to rent than to buy as Rogers comes out with something new every 1-2 years

Well @ $12/month + tax that's $325.44 over the course of 2 years you've handed over to Rogers for no apparent reason. $325.44 in rental fees alone.

Over the course of 10 years that comes to a whopping $1,627 you've thrown away with nothing to show for it.

And rental rates are rising...........Me, I got better things to do with my cash...
howi
Mississauga, ON

howi

Acrimonius,

Exactly! When we are offered a choice to purchase the modem, it makes more economical sense to own than rent. The only downside is warranty after a year... we are on our own if we opt to buy it. Someone has mentioned the CGN3ACR actually carries the $14/month rental value...
raphaeld
Premium Member
join:2011-03-20
Scarborough, ON

raphaeld to JC_

Premium Member

to JC_
I didn't. i still have the old one. I called to get the package changed at work and when I got home it was fine. I don't use this device for wifi so there was no need for me to upgrade
LZYKNOWLEDGE
join:2015-03-02
Wasaga Beach, ON

LZYKNOWLEDGE to Acrimonius

to Acrimonius
Really, So owning is cheaper? LOL. Then what happens when DOCSIS 3.1 comes out within the next two years? your modem will be obsolete and slow compared to DOCSIS 3.1 I will buy the docsis 3.1 when it comes out
bdoyledimou
join:2002-08-20
Markham, ON

bdoyledimou to mtbikerjoe

to mtbikerjoe
i just upgraded from the Hybrid 60 plan unlimited to the 250u plan. Kept my (rental) CGN3 modem as i am only using it as a bridge and dont' have any AC devices regardless -- if i want to upgrade i can later -- ended up getting a $5 credit and ongoing saving $3.94 a month on my bill.

For me -- this was the most logical path to take. save money get fast speed.
bigMc
join:2014-01-15

1 edit

bigMc to LZYKNOWLEDGE

to LZYKNOWLEDGE
said by LZYKNOWLEDGE:

Did you guys buy the CGN3? That would explain why you guys are taking it so personal I believe it is better to rent than to buy as Rogers comes out with something new every 1-2 years

Even though newer models come out, Rogers usually support the older models indefinitely. Or they do mass replace at no cost to the customer if the really want to get rid of something, like they did with the Ericsson PipeRider modem that had major signal issues.

Don't be fooled by the talk of warranty. Most cable modems that fail, fail within the first year. Usually, when they last more than a year, they last long enough for you to buy another one. Renting products to customers is an endless cash grab for any organization. Why do you think utility companies like Direct Energy try to force people to keep renting their hot water tanks?

My parents are still using the Motorola 5101 modem that I passed on to them and I am using a CGN2. Rogers will have to pry these from our cold dead hands or offer services cheaper than what we pay today. Also, I highly doubt Rogers will remove DOCSIS 2 and 3 modems since CableLabs always takes steps to ensure new DOCSIS versions are backwards compatible.

oshawapilot
join:2005-07-12
Courtice, ON

oshawapilot to gw280

to gw280
said by gw280:

What I'm hoping is that the TPIAs will see this and use it to prompt a CRTC review of the wholesale prices, because it's clear that they're being price gouged. I have no idea how the tariff process works, though, so that could just be wishful thinking of my part.

I'd like to think that this is exactly where they're headed. I have to think that the bosses at the TPIA's fell off their rockers when Rogers dumped these plans into the marketplace this week.

Unfortunately a lot of people will jump ship before it's sorted out.. Hell, as much as it turns my stomach to have to admit it, despite being a longtime TSI customer myself....these plans are awfully tempting right now - I'm paying $60/month for 25 meg dryloop DSL with 400 gigs. $25 more and I'd get 4 times the speed and no limits at all.

I would, however, switch back to a TPIA in a heartbeat however if/when they offered comparable plans as I do prefer to support the indy's.

metalhawk
join:2007-02-06
Nepean, ON

metalhawk to howi

to howi
said by howi:

I bought the CGN3 during a sale at BestBuy, after renting it for months. Now, I have been told the system will automatically deduct the modem rental portion with the IGNITE plans, just like before...

Told by a phone rep? If they smartened up, I am switching tomorrow...
geokilla
join:2010-10-04
North York, ON

geokilla to oshawapilot

to oshawapilot
said by oshawapilot:

said by gw280:

What I'm hoping is that the TPIAs will see this and use it to prompt a CRTC review of the wholesale prices, because it's clear that they're being price gouged. I have no idea how the tariff process works, though, so that could just be wishful thinking of my part.

I'd like to think that this is exactly where they're headed. I have to think that the bosses at the TPIA's fell off their rockers when Rogers dumped these plans into the marketplace this week.

Unfortunately a lot of people will jump ship before it's sorted out.. Hell, as much as it turns my stomach to have to admit it, despite being a longtime TSI customer myself....these plans are awfully tempting right now - I'm paying $60/month for 25 meg dryloop DSL with 400 gigs. $25 more and I'd get 4 times the speed and no limits at all.

I would, however, switch back to a TPIA in a heartbeat however if/when they offered comparable plans as I do prefer to support the indy's.

A lot of cable customers would do the same if they aren't forced to buy a new modem once they go back to TPIA cable internet services. I'm sticking it out with Teksavvy on 25/2/400 for now solely because if I leave, my SB6120 becomes useless. However if I don't leave, I'll continue getting "gouged" for who knows how long because I'm paying less for significantly less. Plus there probably wouldn't be a package or rate change any time soon since they just raised their prices and adjusted their packages this month. I'd be more than happy to pay a bit more for significantly higher speeds and reduced latency, if applicable. Latency is very important for my games like SC2 for example.

Apparently Rogers doesn't let TPIA use their own Hitron modems either!! Why is that?!
howi
Mississauga, ON

howi to metalhawk

to metalhawk
... until I have told by another 2 agents (1 social media, 1 on the phone) that is NOT the case: the new IGNITE tiers will NOT credit the "included modem rental" portion like as with the Hybrid Fibre tiers! So, forget about the $14/month value on the CGN3ACR or $12/month for the CGN3 we have purchased at FS/BB because it essentially turn these savings into garbage! I am not alone... »communityforums.rogers.c ··· 8#M23148

metalhawk
Nepean, ON

metalhawk

That's ridiculous. People who purchase the modem essentially make a commitment to Rogers, and the reward for that is a big f*** you. Then again, that's typical Rogers.
howi
Mississauga, ON

howi

Exactly! It's a Rogers subscriber equipment sanctioned by Rogers, nothing else! Why not simply let those who have purchased it out right to grandfather the savings until the next iteration of DOCSIS becomes a must? I feel sorry for those only have got it recently as I do know a few in my circle...

Good Deal
@choopa.net

Good Deal

Anon

Called rogers today to renew my 1 years promotion (50/% on 30/5plan). they told me i have to switch my modem from gn2 to gn3 rocket. They added that we have a new plans and that the modem i had was not capable of the new speeds. was upset and asked to cancel.

The called me back and gave me a deal with 60/5 with 350gb plus basic digital tv for 60 bucks and kept my modem.

at the end i am glad i called today..do you guys this is a good deal?

metalhawk
Nepean, ON

metalhawk to howi

to howi
said by howi:

Exactly! It's a Rogers subscriber equipment sanctioned by Rogers, nothing else! Why not simply let those who have purchased it out right to grandfather the savings until the next iteration of DOCSIS becomes a must? I feel sorry for those only have got it recently as I do know a few in my circle...

I got mine 2 months ago during the Boxing Day sale at Best Buy. Now part of me regrets it...

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere to Acrimonius

Premium Member

to Acrimonius
said by Acrimonius:

....Wouldn't be the first time that the rep just said whatever it took to upsell their services.

Sounds great till you get that first bill............

Sounds more like what BHELL did to me, some time ago.
Davesnothere

Davesnothere to vincom

Premium Member

to vincom
said by vincom:

That was my concluding argument, rogers will bend u over and .......well u know what comes next.

You SURE yer not talking about BHELL ?
Davesnothere

Davesnothere to JC_

Premium Member

to JC_
said by JC_:

....Also the [Rogers] CBB rates are still fairly high, which doesn't help.

Interestingly, Rogers' CBB rates began as the lowest of the Ontario incumbents, and AFAIK have not changed, at $1,400/Mbps of bulk transfer.

But now that Cogeco and Bell have reduced THEIRS (Cogeco several times in total), the unchanged Rogers rate has become the HIGHEST.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to mtbikerjoe

Premium Member

to mtbikerjoe
Bait and switch , check out the fine print
quote:
Reflects current regular monthly service fee for reference only. Regular then-current monthly service fees will apply after 3 month promotional period and are subject to change.
In other words, the regular price will be what ever we want it to be.

Dirtyboy
@rogers.com

Dirtyboy

Anon

I just two months ago purchased from Rogers their modem at one of their Rogers stores. I was told then there would be a deduction of $12.00 per month retro to date of purchase on my monthly bill. I am now reading the just double crossed me......again

v6movement
@pppoe.ca

v6movement to LZYKNOWLEDGE

Anon

to LZYKNOWLEDGE
said by LZYKNOWLEDGE:

Really, So owning is cheaper? LOL. Then what happens when DOCSIS 3.1 comes out within the next two years? your modem will be obsolete and slow compared to DOCSIS 3.1 I will buy the docsis 3.1 when it comes out

DOCSIS 3.1 is still quite a ways away and existing modems especially 24x8 will be far from obsolete nor will they be "slow". Total nonsense.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium Member
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON

TwiztedZero

Premium Member

said by v6movement :

said by LZYKNOWLEDGE:

DOCSIS 3.1 is still quite a ways away and existing modems especially 24x8 will be far from obsolete nor will they be "slow". Total nonsense.

Correct. When the time comes for them to enable D3.1 line cards at the interconnects, all the existing 24x8 units will likely recieve a firmware push, because Docsis 3.1 is designed purposefully to be backward compatible with Docsis 3.0 in any case. So no worries on that score when that stage of things roll up to our respective doorsteps.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

1 recommendation

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by TwiztedZero:

Correct. When the time comes for them to enable D3.1 line cards at the interconnects, all the existing 24x8 units will likely recieve a firmware push, because Docsis 3.1 is designed purposefully to be backward compatible with Docsis 3.0 in any case. So no worries on that score when that stage of things roll up to our respective doorsteps.

Yeah, and Rogers updating firmware on 3rd party modems has been a raging success in the past, hasn't it?

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by HiVolt:

Yeah, and Rogers updating firmware on 3rd party modems has been a raging success in the past, hasn't it?

My Sarcasm detector just overloaded !
Window7
join:2011-12-22

Window7 to mtbikerjoe

to mtbikerjoe
Got my first bill, not even close to what was discussed with the agent.
Missing the $25 bill credit as well.

You'd THINK they'd have gotten this right.

abitbent
join:2004-04-23
Brantford, ON

abitbent to Good Deal

to Good Deal
said by Good Deal :

Called rogers today to renew my 1 years promotion (50/% on 30/5plan). they told me i have to switch my modem from gn2 to gn3 rocket. They added that we have a new plans and that the modem i had was not capable of the new speeds. was upset and asked to cancel.

The called me back and gave me a deal with 60/5 with 350gb plus basic digital tv for 60 bucks and kept my modem.

at the end i am glad i called today..do you guys this is a good deal?

Loyal customers having to call in and BEG for good value. Yes, that's Rogers. The kind of great Canadian company I'd like to support with my over-taxed hard-earned dollars.

Without competition, the big 3 have no real motivation to do better. Where else are you gonna go?

damir
join:2013-12-12
CANADA

damir to Window7

to Window7
said by Window7:

I got my bill, and i was charged less then what i was told that i will be charged.
Window7
join:2011-12-22

Window7

said by damir:

said by Window7:

I got my bill, and i was charged less then what i was told that i will be charged.

Called them - they didn't apply the $25 credit for the 1st 3 months but my major issue was my discount for bundling all 3 was only for the first 3 months instead of the quoted full 2 years.

Ended up with a 25% off deal on cable/internet plus another $50 credit - no 2 yr commitment.
All said and done only pay $1 more than what I was quoted.

Just really wish that the sales people were more reliable.

damir
join:2013-12-12
CANADA

damir

Yep Rogers is really "bad" " You'd THINK they'd have gotten this right. ".

Would you ever get something like that from TPIA, even on their own mistake? Nah.
Anzio
join:2008-11-22

Anzio

It's rarely a mistake when Rogers does it.