spc
Search similar:

uniqs

damir
join:2013-12-12
CANADA

damir to c0d3r

to c0d3r

[Modem/Router] Re: Rogers New Internet modem CGN3ACR?

Tomato can't do it, i doubt any of them can.

I stopped using Tomato a long time ago, i really can't answer that.

Using R7000 with DD-WRT atm.
Datalink
Premium Member
join:2014-08-11
Ottawa ON

Datalink to c0d3r

Premium Member

to c0d3r
The problem is most likely the Hardware Acceleration function which is Broadcom's Cut Through Forwarding. The Asus firmware has an enable / disable feature. Don't know what tomato has. Try that for a starting point for your search.

damir
CANADA

damir

+ Slow CPU.

There is no hardware acceleration in DD-WRT (R7000) , but, i was able to use 320+ with Rogers without any issues.
LZYKNOWLEDGE
join:2015-03-02
Wasaga Beach, ON

LZYKNOWLEDGE

"damir" is right No hardware aceleration in most if not all 3rd party firmware!!!

damir
CANADA

damir

Kong was \ is working on Hardware Acceleration, it was available in some of his releases, but, in the end, it did not work properly (don't remember details). I am sure Kong and BrainSlayer will in the end add Hardware Acceleration to DD-WRT.
c0d3r
join:2011-11-16
Richmond Hill, ON

c0d3r to LZYKNOWLEDGE

to LZYKNOWLEDGE
Well, looks like in order to get full 250/20 speeds, I will have to upgrade my router.

damir
CANADA

damir

Yep, if their speed boost is still going as before new tier, its gonna be 320 actually
c0d3r
Richmond Hill, ON

c0d3r

question: If I get most recent router like R7000, ac88u, ..., flashing Tomato will still not getting that speed?

damir
CANADA

damir

Never tried, i cannot answer it.

There were tons of issues with shibbys firmware, due to high ping to the router, so, i tried it once, and moved to dd-wrt.
Datalink
Premium Member
join:2014-08-11
Ottawa ON

Datalink to c0d3r

Premium Member

to c0d3r
The question is, does Tomato support Broadcom's Cut Through Forwarding (CTF). This is Broadcom's proprietary hardware design, which is poorly documented and poorly understood at this level. Essentially it acts as chip level data forwarding, with little or no processing of the passing data by the router processor. Even with this on the router, if you enable functions such as QOS, traffic monitoring, and a few others, you will automatically disable the CTF function, as the data is then run through any number of processes within the router processor prior to leaving via one of the LAN ports or via wifi. The CTF functionality is incompatible with functions requiring data processing. So the choice you have is to run the data through the router as fast as it will run, or slow the data throughput down by enabling one or more functions that are incompatible with CTF. And, if you are looking at third party firmware, this is something you will have to look for.

damir
CANADA

damir

I just tried accessing »192.168.100.1 from bridge in this new modem, and it works as it was before.
morpheus69
join:2006-04-17
canada

morpheus69

Doesn't work for me. 8(

damir
CANADA

damir

Which Router\Firmware?
morpheus69
canada

morpheus69

CGN3m, the new Rocket one, in Bridge mode.

damir
CANADA

damir

Not sure i understand properly, sorry.

You are unable to log in to the modem while in Bridge mode? If you are in Bridge mode, you should have a Router as well behind the Modem? Which Router\Firmware is that?

Or maybe i completely misunderstood you?
morpheus69
canada

morpheus69

I do, it's a Linksys EA4500. Maybe I am misunderstanding you. It sounded like you can access the status page at 192.168.100.1, yet I get nothing from that ip, and haven't been able to on any of the hitron modems in bridge mode.

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

mozerd

MVM

said by morpheus69:

I do, it's a Linksys EA4500. Maybe I am misunderstanding you. It sounded like you can access the status page at 192.168.100.1, yet I get nothing from that ip, and haven't been able to on any of the hitron modems in bridge mode.

Make sure to clear your Internet cache on the Browser you use to access 192.168.100.1 ... after you clear your cache try that address again. You may also have to clear your DNS cache on your computer. In Windows to clear DNS you open a command window and type ipconfig /flushdns

damir
CANADA

damir to morpheus69

to morpheus69
said by morpheus69:

What kind of firmware do you have? stock? Sometimes u gotta apply specific rules in order to be able to access the Modem while in bridge mode.
c0d3r
Richmond Hill, ON

c0d3r to Datalink

to Datalink
I fully understand, thanks. since I'm not familiar with DD-WRT, so does DD-WRT solves all the problems you metioned?

damir
CANADA

damir

DD-WRT (At this time) doesn't have hardware acceleration working properly (some firmwares do not support it at all) but, R7000's CPU is a lot faster compared to N66U and it can handle the speeds (even without hardware acceleration).

I have my R7000 overclocked to 1400MHz from day one, no issues at all, and been running like this for months.
c0d3r
Richmond Hill, ON

c0d3r

even you turns on QoS, ..., etc? Hmmm how can I reply with Quote

damir
CANADA

damir

QoS is available in DD-WRT, but, i doubt its really needed with 250 service.

Window
@cna.com

Window

Anon

So I have an AC66U at home - would that work with the ASUS firmware to get me the 250mbps speeds or would I be throttled due to the limitations of that router?

damir
CANADA

damir

AC66U has exactly same cpu as N66U, only difference is wifi radios (AC support).
damir

damir

Also, i believe (not 100% sure) that, both N66u and AC66u with Asus's firmware or Merlin's firmware would be able to push 250 service.

Window
@cna.com

Window

Anon

Thanks, reply greatly appreciated.

Didn't want to have to get a new router.

damir
CANADA

damir

No problem.

If you don't mind, once you upgrade to 250 (if you :P ) , can you please let us know if it worked?

Thanks

Window
@cna.com

Window

Anon

Will do, making the switch tonight and hopefully have an appointment for a tech over the weekend (getting cable/homephone bundled with it - don't ask, not for me)

damir
CANADA

damir

Not asking! LoL - Good luck!
Jeff1462001
join:2003-10-26
St John'S, NL

Jeff1462001 to LZYKNOWLEDGE

to LZYKNOWLEDGE

Re: [Modem/Router] Rogers New Internet modem CGN3ACR?

Anyone having issues switching modems but keeping their old plan as I don't want to lose any credits.