All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Cloneman
join:2002-08-29
Montreal

Cloneman

difference between VOIP Providers and SIP Trunks?

I'm a bit confused as to what kind of service is suitable for which purpose... and where the responsibility falls for things like the dialplan, and codecs.

I have a Polycom phone (IP335) which seems to be designed to be configured by a PBX system moreso than by me in the web interface. I get around, but not without undue difficulty. I get the impression it is designed to be used and configured with an in-house PBX rather than VoIP Provider located on the internet. For instance, I can't have a different dialplan or a different set of codecs for each line; it's one set for both lines. I'm assuming this is because Codec priority and Dialplan is normally expected to be configured by the PBX and not on these phones themselves.

Then there's the providers. When I get SIP account with some providers (ex. didlogic, sigmavoip) the calls don't work if I don't dial a 1 before dialing a north american number. So I have to configure this on my local dialplan to add a 1. Which took me 30 minutes to figure out with Polycom's scattered PDFs.

Then you have guys like VoIP.ms which dial the 1 for you even if you omit it, which makes me think they are offering a service that is "designed" to be used for customers who don't have their own in-house PBX.

tl-dr; There's a lot of hidden questions in my post, I'm not sure which one(s) I should be asking. I'll try anyway:

- What could go wrong with using a VoIP provider with a PBX?
- What's could go wrong using a "SIP Trunk" provider directly on a IP Telephone?

- Should I be using something more suitable than a Polycom phone if I want to use it without a PBX, and have per-line codec and dialplan control?

- How can I more easily configure polycom phones? Is there a turnkey or even paid solution to push firmware and settings (not necessary connected to the PBX ?)
Mango
Use DMZ and you get a kick in the dick.
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
www.toao.net

1 recommendation

Mango

Premium Member

You ask some good questions. I can answer some of them.

Traditionally, the phrase "trunk" refers to a T1 or PRI or similar line that can handle multiple calls at the same time. This term was adopted for use with SIP. Some people say that "SIP trunk" is merely a marketing term. In essence, it refers to calls delivered from one point to another via SIP. To answer the question from your subject, I think it would be correct to say a VoIP service provider could provide you with a SIP trunk, or to use other words, could provide you with incoming and outgoing calls via SIP.
said by Cloneman:

- What could go wrong with using a VoIP provider with a PBX?

Security is the primary issue that comes to mind. Hobbyist PBX devices are targets for hackers who want to route calls via your service provider on your dime. It is certainly possible to secure a PBX, but it will take a moderate amount of studying to learn how.

I think a secondary issue is that your PBX becomes another point of failure. If it has a hardware or configuration problem making it inoperable, your phone won't work.
said by Cloneman:

- What's could go wrong using a "SIP Trunk" provider directly on a IP Telephone?

Many of our forum members use IP phones without a PBX. This is a relatively common thing to do. If you don't require the features of a PBX, or if the PBX features of service providers like VoIP.ms and Anveo meet your needs, it may be easier/more reliable/more secure to work without one.

m.

VexorgTR
join:2012-08-27
Sheffield Lake, OH

VexorgTR to Cloneman

to Cloneman
A Sip trunk provider.... provides a path to send/receive calls using the Sip protocol. Popular with business users with a PBX, and also call centers.

VoIP provider is a more generic term... as a Sip trunk provider is providing voip too. Usually businesses calling themselves VoIP providers have extra features and such for you to use. Some like Vonage are turn key. They may or may not use the open sip protocol.
juleso
join:2009-06-04

juleso to Cloneman

to Cloneman
What is your end goal here? How many phones or how many users do you eventually expect to have?

Re a device more suitable that the Polycom, I have a Polycom 330 and would agree that the it seems these devices are more suited to bulk provisioning. For a simpler setup, I personally would recommended Yealink devices. For the price point and what you get, I think there are a solid value.

bitseeker
join:2014-03-05

1 recommendation

bitseeker to Cloneman

to Cloneman
Regarding Polycom provisioning, you can configure the phones centrally without a PBX. All you need is a place to store the XML configuration files and make them available via FTP or HTTP.

I use a laptop with an FTP server program and point the phones to it to download configurations. If my laptop isn't on the network or not running the FTP server when a phone boots/reboots, then it uses its stored configuration (although bootup takes a bit longer this way as it waits for the server).

Polycoms aren't super-easy to set up, even through a central server, but you do get access to a lot more functionality by modifying XML rather than using the on-phone UI.

I haven't used Yealink phones before, but they do seem to be well-liked on this board.

VexorgTR
join:2012-08-27
Sheffield Lake, OH

VexorgTR to Cloneman

to Cloneman
The configuration is the reason I don't like Polycom.

I'm coming from a 3CX background (Advanced Certified BABY!!).... so it's all about rapid fire deployment.

Yealink is the best value in phones that are a snap to deploy. Grandstream used to be on that list... but no longer... (they broke up with 3CX).

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop to Mango

to Mango
"but it will take a moderate amount of studying to learn how."

Not really if you use a strong SIP Secret. 99.99999999999% of hacked accounts I've come across were always because of some weak sip secret like using the password 100 for ext 100. Most PBXs will allow you to lock down the IP that the end point is registering from.