dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

gojets
join:2014-07-25

gojets

[rCable] New Rogers Pricing and Speed Tiers.

I see Rogers has posted some new pricing and speed tiers on there web page today. Will Start.ca be offering these tiers and new pricing also?

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
join:2008-11-16
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

We will be reviewing them and their impact. We received first notice of them only a couple hours ago.
wilsonlam97
join:2010-12-08
Scarborough, ON

wilsonlam97

I'm looking forward to the new plans.
MichelR
join:2011-07-03
Trois-Rivieres, QC

MichelR to gojets

to gojets
Things get a lot less interesting when you click on "Details" to see what happen$ after the first three months.
lbonnell
join:2013-02-21

lbonnell to gojets

to gojets
quite the change in pricing.

currently you can receive unlimited 60mbps/10mbps from start for $80+tax
rogers has 100mbps/10mbps unlimited for $85+tax or 250mbps/20mbps unlimited for $95+tax
MichelR
join:2011-07-03
Trois-Rivieres, QC

MichelR

Didn't notice the unlimited part (I never use my full quota...)

damir
join:2013-12-12
CANADA

damir

I doubt this will be available on TPIA yet, at lease not until TPIA gets 'access' to new modems.

newmodems
@shawcable.net

newmodems

Anon

There is an approved modem that will work on the new tiers. it's just too expensive for them to want to offer it (at over $200). probably some stock issues too
newmodems

newmodems to damir

Anon

to damir
fwiw, i believe it's the DPC3848
faidwen7
join:2006-04-03
London, ON

faidwen7 to lbonnell

to lbonnell
$95 + tax, I'd pay that in a heart beat! Technically, I'd pay $150 / month for this easily!
chrisl83
join:2011-06-21
Almonte, ON

chrisl83 to gojets

to gojets
I just looked at them.. woah, those prices. Includes game center and shomi as well.

huh_wha
@start.ca

huh_wha to faidwen7

Anon

to faidwen7
said by faidwen7:

$95 + tax, I'd pay that in a heart beat! Technically, I'd pay $150 / month for this easily!

Right?

Complimentary NHL Gamecenter Live.
Know what that is?

TPIA killer. Rogers is going to war.

Now let's see what CNOC is made of.

LondonDave
Premium Member
join:2011-09-05
London, ON

LondonDave to chrisl83

Premium Member

to chrisl83
Sign me up for 100/10. Although there is no way I'm dropping more than 100bucks for a new modem.
jibby
join:2008-03-31

jibby

with these prices i dont see the appeal of TPIA - the prices are about the same, TPIA has bigger caps generally but now Rogers comes w/gamecenter and shomi, gets better service (when it comes to installs/fixes) and has much faster speeds available

i'm still on TSI but most people i talk to see TPIA as a cheap, inferior product now and the price difference is pretty marginal
Anzio
join:2008-11-22

Anzio to gojets

to gojets
To us, the TPIA appeal (specifically speaking about Start) is the service and honest no-BS communication from the company. I will happily support Start so long as they keep up what they've done so far. Start has openly said that they've never tried to be the leader of a race to the bottom. There is also so much more beyond the last-mile service that makes us proud to have Start run our office and home connection.

We don't watch NHL Game Center Live, but it's included in our Share Everything plan from Rogers. So our NHL fix is there if we need it.

LondonDave
Premium Member
London, ON
·Acanac

LondonDave to jibby

Premium Member

to jibby
That's the problem with the current rules in place for TPIA. It is all in favour of Rogers. They can drop the price or offer unpublished rates in a heartbeat. TPIA on the other hand is at the mercy of the rates they are charged by in this case Rogers. I like knowing when I call support I'm a customer and not just a number.

TypeS
join:2012-12-17
London, ON

1 recommendation

TypeS to jibby

to jibby
While it's true that a good number of people whom switch to IISPs seem as simply a cheaper alternative, others more than just dollar value: better customer service, call wait times, technical skill of support staff, network management, routing, getting an account change done. etc.

And I am by no means telling anyone to not vote with their wallet however there is more to some of us then the price.
jdrom
join:2008-03-02
East York, ON

jdrom to gojets

to gojets
That's an amazingly low price for unlimited, especially at 100Mbps.

It definitely looks like this is the easiest way for Rogers to push TPIA's out of the market. Most people are looking for value, so if Rogers can win on that too, not as many people will bother switching.

That being said, I'd much rather stick with Start, but if this trend continues, that will become harder to do.
mikee
join:2012-12-21
Gloucester, ON

mikee to gojets

to gojets
hmm maybe this explains why rogers came to my house and told me they will be installing a 'fiber pole' in the yard behind my backyard? I don't know what a fiber pole is but thats what the guy called it. He also left me a piece of paper saying they will be doing the installation within the next 3 months.

Could a Fiber Pole mean real fiber to the house? Or is it just their way of getting stronger cable packages to the house?
jibby

jibby to TypeS

to TypeS
said by TypeS:

While it's true that a good number of people whom switch to IISPs seem as simply a cheaper alternative, others more than just dollar value: better customer service, call wait times, technical skill of support staff, network management, routing, getting an account change done. etc.

And I am by no means telling anyone to not vote with their wallet however there is more to some of us then the price.

im sure everyones experience is different, but i don't think TPIA customer service is better - sure the person i talk to might be more knowledgeable but they still submit the tickets to Rogers, then you have to wait 48 hours for Rogers to not read your ticket and close it - then reopen that ticket and wait another 48 hours, rinse and repeat until someone at Rogers decides to treat you like a real customer instead of a TPIA annoyance, etc

TypeS
join:2012-12-17
London, ON

TypeS

That's not exactly how the ticket process between TPIA and their vendors but not the actual point. Not all trouble calls require a ticket to a vendor to begin with and with Start they are willing to assist even beyond just the services they sell. So yes, their customer service on many levels is better.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

1 recommendation

rocca to huh_wha

Premium Member

to huh_wha
said by huh_wha :

Rogers is going to war.

I don't think any of this would be happening without IISP's, ie these are directly aimed at stemming the exodus from Rogers to alternatives. Obviously the CRTC wanted competition but I don't think what they wanted was for Rogers to be able to extort the rates that TPIA are paying with CBB to the point where competition disappears again and it'll be back on track to regular quarterly price increases and subpar service for customers. Even now their entry level product is still $65/mo - that's crazy.

The CRTC has a number of costing issues before them (some for almost a year now) and I'm really hoping we see some positive decisions on those in the near future because it's tough to hold the line with rising costs at the same time Rogers is able to slash pricing and offer services that TPIA's have no ability to match because of the rates they pay.
said by jibby:

most people i talk to see TPIA as a cheap, inferior product

In my opinion the main issue with service is with the intervals which is something currently in bilateral negotiations between the cable carriers and CNOC through CISC and overseen by the CRTC. Hopefully we'll see a resolution in the roughly 2 months left without the Commission having to come and step in to mandate it. Once that's resolved and TPIA is on par with service intervals (install, repairs, etc), then I'd say that the IISP's have the opportunity to deliver a superior product that Canadians deserve (especially if the BAS product gets approved) - and of course this will force Rogers to step up their soft services too.
said by jibby:

the price difference is pretty marginal

As others have said, our goal isn't to compete strictly on price - rather it's to deliver a better experience, great support and an excellent network at the best price we can. Once there is no self-preferential treatment with the incumbent last-mile operations and pricing then real competition will help improve service and lower prices for Canadians.

gojets
join:2014-07-25

gojets

I love Start and my service has been great, their support has been great. But I will admit the rogers offer is tempting. Right now I am getting 30/5 unlimited from Start for $60. Rogers is offering the following 100/10, unlimited, 2 year contract with a guarantee rates will not go up, NHL gamecenter for 2 years, shomi free for 2 years. First 3 months 59.99 after that there deal through customer relations is $67.49 for months 4-24. I'm not saying Start has to be the cheapest, They provide excellent service but right now the price point for an unlimited plan seems to have tilted in Rogers favour by a fair margin, especially at the higher bandwidth tiers. My fear is that if it takes 2 months or more to come up with adjusted plans from Start that it may be too late for some.
imtiax
Premium Member
join:2014-05-24
Toronto, ON

imtiax

Premium Member

I'm paying rogers $61 including taxes for 60 down 10 up with unlimited bandwidth right now, with free modem rental, with no contract.

Gonna give them a call. I wouldn't mine paying $6 more for 100/10 locked for 2 years. That's amazing.

Only issue I have with Rogers is that when it comes to gaming, such as League of Legends, the latency always goes from 72 to 300+ for a few seconds, every few minutes.

And in Multiplayer games those lag spikes / disconnects can cost you a lot.

I can't use DSL in my building due to wiring issues, so I'm stuck with cable.

LondonDave
Premium Member
London, ON
·Acanac

LondonDave to gojets

Premium Member

to gojets
It's wrong that Rogers can offer you 100/10 unlimited for 67.49 yet they charge tpia's 28.65 as the wholesale tarrif rate for 60/10 plus the usage charge. Now they release the 100/10 tariff of 23.32 which looks like a better deal until you look at the fact that we need to buy an over priced cisco modem vs rogers which just gives a 24x8 modem out for nothing.

How do you compete with that?

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca to imtiax

Premium Member

to imtiax
said by imtiax:

for 100/10 locked for 2 years. That's amazing

For what it's worth, from the small print:

"7. Reflects current regular monthly service fee for reference only. Regular then-current monthly service fees will apply after 3 month promotional period and are subject to change."

...emphasis added.

iw
@start.ca

iw to rocca

Anon

to rocca
Just got off the phone with a Rogers salesperson.
Told him I was interested in the 250/20 plan for $95/month
The price includes the modem rental.
He could not waive the $50+15 installation+activation fees but offered a $100 credit after activation that will be applied towards my second bill.
This is really tempting and gut-wrenching as I really like Start.
jibby

jibby to rocca

to rocca
said by rocca:

In my opinion the main issue with service is with the intervals which is something currently in bilateral negotiations between the cable carriers and CNOC through CISC and overseen by the CRTC. Hopefully we'll see a resolution in the roughly 2 months left without the Commission having to come and step in to mandate it. Once that's resolved and TPIA is on par with service intervals (install, repairs, etc), then I'd say that the IISP's have the opportunity to deliver a superior product that Canadians deserve (especially if the BAS product gets approved) - and of course this will force Rogers to step up their soft services too.

As others have said, our goal isn't to compete strictly on price - rather it's to deliver a better experience, great support and an excellent network at the best price we can. Once there is no self-preferential treatment with the incumbent last-mile operations and pricing then real competition will help improve service and lower prices for Canadians.

Don't get me wrong - i 100% agree that Rogers wouldn't be offering deals like this if you guys weren't around. I appreciate everything the wholesalers have done for internet in Canada.

And i don't know how those negotiations are going, so i can't say with any certainty, but imo:

I don't think that Rogers is going to play nice in the 90 days they were given to resolve this. They haven't played nice yet - and they don't seem to have any fear of the CRTC. If Rogers doesn't like their decisions, they have mountains of lawyers that can tie up CNOC and the CRTC for so long that they could put an end to your business entirely if they wanted to. But they don't even have to - they can just lie to the CRTC - who's gonna challenge their hidden ### numbers?

and imo the wholesalers used to compete on price, but now your costs are so artificially inflated you simply can't anymore

and what, you're gonna throw an army of lawyers at Rogers if they dont play nice? seems to me like they have an office building full of their own 'regulatory' lawyers just waiting for you to try it
jdrom
join:2008-03-02
East York, ON

jdrom to imtiax

to imtiax
said by imtiax:

Only issue I have with Rogers is that when it comes to gaming, such as League of Legends, the latency always goes from 72 to 300+ for a few seconds, every few minutes.

Funny you mention that, about a month ago, I was playing CS:GO with some people on Rogers and the rest on TSI (myself on Start), the Rogers players kept dropping from the game every couple minutes, rest of us continued along fine. All in the Toronto area too.

The Rogers network definitely isn't as well maintained or managed, that much is for sure.

Yoorie
join:2011-11-22
Toronto, ON

Yoorie to gojets

to gojets
This is quite interesting. Most certainly, Rogers wouldn't be doing this without IISPs around. Hooray for competition! Hopefully this will also provide ammunition to adjust wholesale rates further.

I'm in no rush to jump ship, as I appreciate the technical aspects of the work Start has been doing (e.g. tweaking routing, direct peering to content provider networks, etc.)

I would like that 20 Mbps upload, but 250 Mbps download isn't useful to me. Any chance we could get a 20 Mbps on a more affordable package once the dust settles?