spc
Search similar:

uniqs
chuckkk
join:2001-11-10
Warner Robins, GA

chuckkk

[GA] Cox and low speeds/intermittent speeds

I really think that there are network problems causing my lower than normal speeds.
This is based upon multiple tests of speed, trace routes, ping tests and even back tracing.

Anyway when I asked about updating the firmware, cox says they have the update, but no longer update any modems purchased at retail. (Only rented modems?) And that I'd have to go to Motorola
for an update.

Quote from Motorola Arris Web site
Question
Can I upgrade the firmware on cable modems & gateways?
Answer
The Cable Operators (MSOs) have complete control of what cable modem/gateway hardware they
will allow installed and the firmware it uses, on their cable plant. This means anything directly
connected to the cable plant (COAX) in your house. They do this to ensure that nothing happens to
anyone upstream from your connections. Cable Operators follow the DOCSIS Specifications that
control this methodology of firmware upgrades as well as providing security for the firmware
upgrades.
Cable Operators also run both the products and firmware through their own test cycles to approve
any manufacturers’ modems, wireless gateways, and the associated firmware updates for
deployment. This is not an ARRIS only implementation, but the required implementation of any
cable device manufacturer. After an MSO has tested and approved a new version of firmware for a
cable device, they will then “push” that new firmware out to the devices.

SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.12-SCM00-NOSH (now at)

SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.14-SCM01-NOSH March 2014 Available, but have no information as to changes or if they might have any effect.
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman

Premium Member

This is why we cannot have nice things. Greedy bickering idiots. Cox wants a rent seeking solution for modems from all subscribers. Arris Motorola will not provide firmware updates because they cannot be sure the cable company does not use some kind of network software that can render a modem dead if Arris Motorola upgrades the firmware independently from the cable company. So to preserve CPE sales to cable companies you cannot get firmware upgrades from Arris Motorola(AM). But Arris Motorola still gets profits from retail sales.

DOCSIS 3.0 is supposed to be an international STANDARD. Proprietary firmware solely designed to create a modem rental environment is not in the spirit of a universal technical standard. Imagine if USB was used this way.
chuckkk
Warner Robins, GA

chuckkk

To add to the mystery, Cox did something yesterday that vastly improved the speeds. Now it's a wait and see if it's a fix or just a temporary improvement.
I still see some problems that seem to be the result of how cox routes things in the Atlanta area.

Hard Harry7
join:2010-10-19
Narragansett, RI

Hard Harry7

Cox can still upgrade the firmware. It should be a quick fix, even if you do have to escalate to Tier 2. Thats assuming they have the firmware ready/available which, by their own admission, they do.

With that said, if you want simplicity, get a gateway, if you want performance or control, stay far away.
chuckkk
Warner Robins, GA

1 edit

chuckkk

The real problem is finding out what a firmware upgrade "upgrades". Only then is it reasonable to push for the upgrade.

Back to the original speed problem. It looks like cox had multiple problems and somehow "fixed" the majority of them. I'm getting decent speeds to many places across the country. The exceptions seem to be west coast sites. This is an old problem that resurfaced recently. More curious is the behavior in the Atlanta area. Sites such as some GT sites are still slow, and others very good.
For instance, just outside of Atlanta, I saw speeds as high as 115Mbps down. Upload speeds are generally consistent with what cox limits 100Mbps service to - - ~12-15 Mbps, even with sites showing slow download speeds. Also interesting is that a back trace peters out before it reaches the CMTS I'm connected to. Yet, I can back ping and reach my IP4 address.
chuckkk

chuckkk

"We can not / do not update retail modem software"
Yah, right! They did!
Shows that cox customer service right and left hands don't know what is really going on???

Model Name: SB6141
Vendor Name: Motorola
Firmware Name: SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.14-SCM01-NOSH
Boot Version: PSPU-Boot(25CLK) 1.0.12.18m3
Hardware Version: 7.0

I'm almost afraid to rock the boat for a few days!
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman

Premium Member

I thought these upgrades to firmware were supposed to be automatic. Once the modem is accepted it is upgraded just because it answers as a compatible modem to a query from Cox. Especially the Motorola Arris models. When I give advice to people about purchasing a modem or gateway at retail I would like to be accurate about how it is treated by Cox. Glad it worked out for you.

Hard Harry7
join:2010-10-19
Narragansett, RI

Hard Harry7

said by davidhoffman:

I thought these upgrades to firmware were supposed to be automatic.

Supposed and actually being automatic are two completely different things. Anyone below Tier 2 usually will have no idea what firmware even is, never mind how to upgrade it. I refuse to even talk to tier 1 anymore. Only Tier 2 and Supervisors from now on.
chuckkk
Warner Robins, GA

chuckkk

An update. Speeds have been back to more or less normal. Still have speed problems with west coast, OK central, south and east. Something is still going on that impacts the older speed tests.
They can show 1/2 the rates (download only) ???? that the newer ones show.
chuckkk

chuckkk

Back to poor consistency in data transfer.
Download speeds vary from about 75 to 105Mbps
Upload speeds below 10Mbps. Was about 12.
chuckkk

1 edit

chuckkk

Click for full size
Cox Warner Robins GA
This seems to be Cox's idea of local 100Mbps service!
The link CMTS, etc are capable of 100Mbps down, and about 1/2 that up using 8 down and 4 up channels.
All RF noise and signal levels are well within spec, and are stable.
The down waveform shows why I've been having trouble with video downloads.

Luke_
Its all in your head
join:2015-08-27
Tempe, AZ

Luke_

said by chuckkk:

All RF noise and signal levels are well within spec, and are stable.

Out of curiosity, how do you know all RF noise on the line is well within spec?
chuckkk
Warner Robins, GA

chuckkk

The RF noise shows up as both a noise to signal ratio in DB and also indirectly in the ratios of codeword errors.
chuckkk

chuckkk

Lovely! It looks like somewhere between Nov 13 and last week COX mis-configured the upload data rates to 1/10th that is called for!

I've been too busy running around with pre Christmas tasking, trying to get a Raspberry Pi B setup for my grandkids, and getting the lawn vacuum working properly. (it runs, but has an electrical problem that may trace back to the diode in the charging circuit, or a starter solenoid with a to case/ground short. The safety interlock circuit compounds the problem, as does all the junk that builds up around the various components. (Take battery out, clean out the crud, get out the DVM and trouble shoot.) This old man does not like to bend over any more that absolutely necessary!

I first noticed something was going on when Far Cry 3 started having some odd problems. We (I think) have an older CMTS, and past testing of the modem and router makes me think that the CMTS may be part of the Issue. But, virtually 99% of the problems I've had in recent years go back to network misconfiguration by Cox. Further, the problems usually start in time frames that Cox has traditionally used to muck around with things. I have very little patience with the usual customer support "scripting" answers.
1.3 - 1.8 Mbps upload rates on 100Mbps service? Come on!
I've also noticed in the last few months that Cox has intermittently? done something that really impacts continuity/quality of service data based testing.
chuckkk

chuckkk

Looks like I have to eat some words! Turns out that the router is likely going, going, gone south! A direct to modem connection brought back expected download speeds.
That's the second router failure in maybe ten years! Noticed that the bottom of the router was hotter than normal. It works ok on the user and wi-fi side, but fails to connect properly to the modem for some reason.
chuckkk

chuckkk

Confirmed! New Router, speeds back to "normal'.
I had to play around with DNS service, and use non cox dns servers to get reasonable time resolution.