jumpingryan

[Mobile] Bell Turbo Hub Billing Practices - Rounding up & TXT msg

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Text Message charges to Turbo Hub
Click for full size
I am one of those unlucky enough to be stuck on a Bell Turbo Hub (with no other options other than Satellite available - Bell refuses DSL service despite close promixity), with their outrageous usage charges and further up-charge of data.

Turbo hubs/Rocket Hubs are for the most desperate who Bell refuses to service via other means. Bell prefers is that way in my opinion.... they certainly don't have any incentive to upgrade DSL when they have you as a Turbo Hub Customer. I get it, if you are not entitled to a landline, you probably shouldn't be entitled to DSL.... however, I have had up to 3 landlines... with no DSL available... curiously the Bell Turbo Hub rep is more than happy to help get services though. Anyways, I digress on Bell's true lack of interest in the provision of service... something the CRTC will hopefully effect within a few years.... that isn't really on topic for my own post.

I run 2 Hubs (with a total of 3 sim card plans), to get a total of 60 gigs bandwidth. Usually one or more of them have usage charges while I swap out a sim card. Two of my plans are "Loyalty" and the other is a "Flex Promo". Curiously, all of them cost the same in terms of monthly charges, and total overages, minus the way overage usage billing is done....

Being somewhat emboldened by Ben Klass' complaint to the CRTC regarding their mobile TV issues (which uses the same spectrum I do, except mobile TV users got usage at a sharply discounted rate), and the CRTC's ruling on it, I was wondering if there is something to be suggested about tackling these two issues I have noticed about the Turbo Hub:

1) Bell Turbo Hubs with their current billing practices uncharge even further on overages.... A per gigabyte overage cost is $10.00..... and if you use your cap, plus 0.001 gigabytes, Bell automatically rounds to 1 gigabyte in their overage on certain plans.

This applies to 2 of my plans. The Loyalty plans are charged at $10.00 per Gigabyte, and the "Flex Promo" plan is charged at 0.0097 a megabyte.

It seems to me that Bell, on it's overages, can charge up to 99.9% more on some overages without there being actual usage.... in short, you could be paying $9.99 more on a Bill for data you didn't use.

Is there anywhere mandated by the CRTC that Bell has to charge for actual usage down to the megabyte or even byte, and not round up to the maximum of $9.99 per overage?

Is there any standardized method in place for charging for data, and standardized unit of measurement?

I will note, Bell's usage meter goes down to about the megabyte, and all bills are reported that way.

2) The text messaging charge. I have received more than one bill to my Turbo Hub for txt messages that were "received" at $0.40 a text message. I had two text messages recieved alone this bill.... I assume likely to be ads or spamming.

Considering the fact that the Turbo Hub isn't a txt messaging device per say (it is essentially a cellular modem and router in one box).... is billing for received text messages allowed?

I have attached some screen shots from some of my previous bills... cropped to remove personal information.

Thanks for any help.

Ryan

davidjonez
@bell.ca

davidjonez

Anon

thank you for your post, but myself and others are wondering what is your question?
jumpingryan
join:2008-07-27
Pembroke, ON

jumpingryan

1) I was just wondering if there is anything in the wireless code or any other CRTC ruling about rounding up billing?

As you can see, the costs can technically add up to a maximum of $9.99 per month rounding up for overages. This sort of practice adds up

2) Same question about charging for incoming txt messages... are there any rules in the wireless code or other CRTC rulings about charging for incoming txt messages?

JC_
Premium Member
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON

JC_

Premium Member

said by jumpingryan:

2) Same question about charging for incoming txt messages... are there any rules in the wireless code or other CRTC rulings about charging for incoming txt messages?

I'm sure that if you called Bell you could get the charges reversed and have them put a text block on all of your SIM cards.

NorthOntario
@bell.ca

NorthOntario

Anon

JCohen, not that easy to just call BELL and have text blocking at least for me today. I am also (not the only one) receiving text messages on my Bell Hub at .20 cents a pop and have to repeatedly call in to have these removed monthly. It's not enjoyable to have this job of finding the penny pinching or thief robbing my money bowl...

I have had a Rogers Turbo Hub for 5 years and at one point they were inundated with various pay per use texting pranks but successfully engaged it and I had successfully block text messages on the device when they somehow fixed the issue to allow blocking.

I'm hoping Bell will find a way to disable texting on the Turbo Hub MBR1516 and don't understand why it just can't be easy as disabling texting on the sim itself. For now I will monitor my bill monthly and call in.

I just tried replying to the texts while logged into my Netgear routers interface (192.168.0.1) and in the reply I simply typed STOP and hit reply in hopes this helps.