Premium Member
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON

JC_ to Lil_miss

Premium Member

to Lil_miss

Re: How can Bell Compete?

said by Lil_miss:

Correct. FTTH will be installed in Kingston and Peterborough instead of conditioning the current copper cable. But I assure you that Bell still designs copper networks. Greenfield is all fiber yes, but there are several other programs.

No where did I say that Bell doesn't still design copper networks.

Your original posts was;
said by Lil_miss:

Bell still lays copper to meet prior FTTN commitments.

In which my response was to correct your incorrect blanket statement, if it's Bell greenfield there will be no copper.
Lil_miss
join:2015-03-10
Peterborough, ON

Lil_miss

said by Lil_miss:

No they don't, all new subdivisions that Bell fibre is being laid in will have no Bell copper.

*you added Greenfield after.

JC_
Premium Member
Nepean, ON

JC_

Premium Member

said by Lil_miss:

said by Lil_miss:

No they don't, all new subdivisions that Bell fibre is being laid in will have no Bell copper.

*you added Greenfield after.

That sentence is pretty self explanatory, I just added the correct terminology.

New subdivisions with Bell fibre will not have Bell copper, regardless of the FTTN agreements.
Lil_miss
Peterborough, ON

Lil_miss to Mish

to Mish
I think we agree lol
greenfield=fiber
brownfield=copper
lowping
join:2013-08-04

lowping

said by Lil_miss:

I think we agree lol
greenfield=fiber
brownfield=copper

Brownfield is underground ?
Lil_miss
Peterborough, ON

Lil_miss

No, brownfield is existing copper network. Greenfield is new network in new subdivisions.

JC_
Premium Member
Nepean, ON

JC_ to Lil_miss

Premium Member

to Lil_miss
said by Lil_miss:

I think we agree lol
greenfield=fiber
brownfield=copper

Nope;
Greenfield = new fibre no existing copper plant
Brownfield = new fibre with an existing copper plant.
JC_

JC_ to lowping

Premium Member

to lowping
said by lowping:

said by Lil_miss:

I think we agree lol
greenfield=fiber
brownfield=copper

Brownfield is underground ?

Brownfield is new fibre in an area with an existing copper plant; it can be either aerial or buried depending on the permits, easements, ect...
Lil_miss
Peterborough, ON

Lil_miss to JC_

to JC_
so yes.....we agree.
lowping
join:2013-08-04

lowping to Mish

to Mish
ok thanks!
daeron
join:2012-05-11
Ottawa

daeron to Anzio

to Anzio
Click for full size
connection
Click for full size
Other mess
This is how it was connected.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

That's not fibre. That looks like RG11 that they converted to RG6.
daeron
Ottawa

daeron

There is def fibre there. I saw it before it was connected.
Plus why can I get 150/150 service from Bell?

LondonDave
Premium Member
join:2011-09-05
London, ON

LondonDave

Premium Member

You have coax with rogers and fibre with bell
daeron
Ottawa

daeron

that makes sense i suppose

JC_
Premium Member
Nepean, ON

JC_ to LondonDave

Premium Member

to LondonDave
said by LondonDave:

I'd be interested in seeing the RFoG node you have in the basement. Care to snap a pic?

Not the best picture but you can see the RFoG adapter in the top right.

RFoG
daeron
Ottawa

daeron

i can take a picture of the cabinet if it helps?

JC_
Premium Member
Nepean, ON

JC_

Premium Member

said by daeron:

i can take a picture of the cabinet if it helps?

Won't make a difference, you have Rogers over coax coming into your house.

LondonDave
Premium Member
London, ON

LondonDave to Mish

Premium Member

to Mish
Thanks for the pics guys. I've seen a similar RFoG Media converter out west in Calgary. If I recall correctly it was made by Aurora networks.
daeron
Ottawa

daeron to JC_

to JC_
Ah ok, I think I understand (still learning as I go, thanks for the pointers).
So if i were to order from Bell would they pull something inside the home?

LondonDave
Premium Member
London, ON

LondonDave

Premium Member

It looks like you have some fibre coming out of the second conduit and coiled up. They would just need to splice an end on in that case and install the ONT which converts the fiber to Ethernet and pots phone ports.
abcxyz123
join:2012-01-17
k2k0h2

abcxyz123 to Mish

to Mish
Click for full size
Click for full size
The 2nd pic is the fibre. That is exactly what mine looked like in a Minto build. Same conduit and everything. The Bell tech added and extension to reach my network panel and then installed the ONT and the battery backup next to the panel. I took the home hub out and just set the VID directly on my router for the internet.
annayya
join:2012-01-29

1 edit

annayya to taraf

to taraf
said by taraf:

A few things...

4) Bell still offers the Unlimted usage package on *all* of their products for $10/mo in a triple play ($30 without 3 services, but since Cellular counts as part of the triple play, most of their customers qualify for the $10/mo price point)

Bell no longer requires a trio budle (three services) to be eligible for the $10 unlimited deal.
All you need is a TV and Internet. They call it the duo bundle now.

»www.bell.ca/Bell_Interne ··· Internet

Read the fine print: (2) $10/mo. extra based on $30 monthly fee, less a $20 monthly credit. Available to Internet customers with continued subscription to two eligible Bell services, including Bell Internet and Bell TV; see bell.ca/bundledetails.
annayya

annayya to Mish

to Mish
Bell is slowly losing the battle of retaining internet customers, especially people in areas with FTTN.

Rogers ignite 100 with unlimited bandwidth is only $67.49 if you also subscribe to their TV service.
Ask for the $17.50 discount for having TV.
I almost moved to Rogers ignite 100 until they told me their scary TV prices which includes monthly $7.50 line fee for having any more than 1 TV, $17.50 for their Nextbox 3.0, No seperate bundle discounts like Bell has.
The Nextbox 3.0 at one point used to be offered for free but not anymore with their new packages.
annayya

annayya to daeron

to daeron
said by daeron:

There is def fibre there. I saw it before it was connected.
Plus why can I get 150/150 service from Bell?

Is it true that if you have FTTH, you get the same upload speed as download speed regardless of your package.
For example if you subscribe to Fibe 50, you would get 50 Mbps upload as well.

However, the prices are the same for both FTTN and FTTH.
In other words, I get an upload of 10 mbps max with Fibe 50 as I am on FTTN but I would pay the same as Fibe 50 FTTH.

If yes, how does Bell justify the pricing. CRTC should definitely look into this as unfair treatment of customers with FTTN. Its bad enough that they are not investing in improving our technology but also charging us more for an inferior service.

LondonDave
Premium Member
London, ON
·Acanac

LondonDave

Premium Member

I wouldn't say FTTN customers are treated unfairly. If you are eligible for 50/10 FTTN then you are at the limitation of the technology based on the distance you are from the remote you are connected to. FTTH doesn't have this limitation as it is direct fiber.

Keep in mind the symmetric speed packages bell offers are just a gimmick as most folks will never need equal upload speeds. 50/25 or 100/50 would be a more realistic package offering.

Many folks are still only eligible for 6/800k legacy DSL so you could have it worse.
annayya
join:2012-01-29

annayya to Gone

to Gone
said by Gone:

said by LZYKNOWLEDGE:

I have talked to the CEO from Bell who lives in my area and it's not cheap material

Fibre itself and the support equipment is far cheaper than copper and its equipment.

And FTTH is how Bell will compete with Rogers. This is just a preemptive strike before Bell gets serious in the GTA.

I have been wanting Bell to get serious in the GTA for years. I was asking about Fibre to Home from a time when they didnt even start advertising Fibe TV.

Unfortunately, NO ONE IN BELL can tell me even a rough estimate of when I can expect to have FTTH in my area. I understand its hard to predict construction delays and such but then I asked them to at least tell me the year and they couldn't do that either which means they don't have a firm plan in place for expansion in Toronto.

I read an article about Bell FTTH stating that the city permits may also slow the process down, so I asked (probably the wrong person) to provide an update if there are city permit issues in my area for updating the cables and I couldn't get a confirmation. I could ask the councillor and Mayor for an explanation if I know certainly that Bell's applications for upgraging to FTTH are being denied or delayed as I am paying thousands of dollars of property tax. Any advancements in technology or infrastructure should be supported by the city, not opposed in any way. The last I heard through a Bell agent is that they are really not serious about their expansion in old areas of GTA (which is most of Toronto), and are focusing on the new areas and areas where new developments (condos, several houses) are taking place within the city.
annayya

annayya to LondonDave

to LondonDave
said by LondonDave:

I wouldn't say FTTN customers are treated unfairly. If you are eligible for 50/10 FTTN then you are at the limitation of the technology based on the distance you are from the remote you are connected to. FTTH doesn't have this limitation as it is direct fiber.

Keep in mind the symmetric speed packages bell offers are just a gimmick as most folks will never need equal upload speeds. 50/25 or 100/50 would be a more realistic package offering.

Many folks are still only eligible for 6/800k legacy DSL so you could have it worse.

I have a personal server that I maintain and I occasionally access large files remotely.
An upload of 50 Mbps would have a huge difference vs 10 Mbps.

I understand your point though, as I was once a DSL legacy customer with less than 1 Mbps upload and frequent disconnection issues, but that doesnt mean I will be happy with 10 Mbps when someone else with 50 Mbps is paying the same price. Bell should adjust pricing according to the services they provide. FTTN should be priced lower than FTTH.

JC_
Premium Member
Nepean, ON

JC_ to annayya

Premium Member

to annayya
said by annayya:

Unfortunately, NO ONE IN BELL can tell me even a rough estimate of when I can expect to have FTTH in my area. I understand its hard to predict construction delays and such but then I asked them to at least tell me the year and they couldn't do that either which means they don't have a firm plan in place for expansion in Toronto.

I think the bigger reason why no one is giving you an answer is that if Bell upgrades an area to FTTH they want to have the ROI, however if they give out a time frame for the upgrade it's possible that a competitor may try to beat Bell to the upgrade in the area.

Also pretty much anyone that you will ever get on the phone will not have any of that information available.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by JC_:

I think the bigger reason why no one is giving you an answer is that if Bell upgrades an area to FTTH they want to have the ROI, however if they give out a time frame for the upgrade it's possible that a competitor may try to beat Bell to the upgrade in the area.

While one can understand this, it's still frustrating when Bell is the only telco in the entire country that is completely silent with their fibre plans. Even Telus has provided detailed information and timelines to their customers, and one would think that they're in a similar competitive arrangement with Shaw.