spc
Search similar:

uniqs

cdr1000
join:2004-02-18

cdr1000

Equipment: can I use my own cable box with cable card

Getting ready to switch to FIOS.

I want to rent a cable card and to use my own Samsung GX-SM530CF box.

Verizon says:

"Can I purchase the equipment instead of renting it for a monthly fee?

Rental is the only option for Verizon FiOS TV Set-Top Boxes. The equipment we provide is state-of-the-art, and we ensure you have the latest technology without having to spend hundreds of dollars for each box up-front."

»www.verizon.com/support/ ··· 4837.htm

Another one:

"Can I hook up multiple TVs with Verizon FiOS TV Service?

Yes. Set-Top Boxes are required for each television where you would like to receive digital programming (all packages and channels beyond the FiOS TV Local Package). You can install FiOS TV on up to seven televisions with Set-Top Boxes. Our representatives and technicians will work with you to set up the best FiOS TV network in your home."

What about HD Homerun + cable card + Samsung TV with SiliconDust app?
fcfc2
join:2014-05-17

fcfc2

Yes you can use this equipment but you will probably have to call Verizon to order the cablecards after you setup your initial install online. They will force you to add at least on of their STB's initially, but you can immediately return it. You will also need to have a Verizon router for the initial install and for future trouble shooting. You can buy from them, rent one, or better, buy one off of Ebay. Some have said you need to have either the new G1100 ($199 or $10 rent) or an Actiontec Rev I ($75 or $8 rent) for the initial install. Unless you run Ethernet from the ONT you will need to have a Verizon router in your mix. There is conflicting information regarding using the older Actiontec's with up to the 50/50 tier, some posts say you need the newer one's but the guys in the Direct Forum say the older Actiontec's are ok for the lower tiers.

cdr1000

cdr1000

So, I have to tell Verizon before they install to enable ethernet port and to bring and activate a cable card?
JPL
Premium Member
join:2007-04-04
Downingtown, PA

2 edits

JPL to fcfc2

Premium Member

to fcfc2
Why would he need Ethernet connectivity? If you want to avoid using Verizon's router, for whatever reason, there are ways around it. You certainly don't need Ethernet for your TV signals. That goes through the cable card, which means QAM, which means coax.

For internet connectivity, you would need to either use their router, get hooked up as Ethernet, so you can use your own router, or you can get a MoCA bridge, which will convert the MoCA signal to Ethernet for you without having to use the Actiontec.

Next, if he gets the Actiontec, why does he need the rev I or above? I don't think you need a router for activation, and even if he did, that's what the installer is going to do. The installer would activate the cable card for you. And you really don't need the Actiontec for QAM only TV service, at all. BTW, to the OP, unless you have a desire to save on the rental fee for the Actiontec, I would recommend putting it into your mix anyway. Verizon has a in-home network app that lets you stream a bunch of channels over any device that runs the app (your smart phone, e.g.) which is a nice add on. The authentication happens through your Actiontec, so it would need to be in the mix.

Again to the OP, if you desire to hook up with Ethernet, you can certainly do that. Just ask them to install you that way. Or, you can always do it yourself at a later time, should you need. You would just run a cat-5/cat-6 cable to the ONT, plug it in, and call Verizon to reprovision your ONT to Ethernet. And then you can always use a MoCA bridge. I'm not sure how much they cost, but they would serve the needs of going MoCA to Ethernet should you need. All without having to be provisions for Ethernet at all.

Point is, the Actiontec is not needed at all, even if he doesn't go Ethernet with his connection. To get internet connectivity without Ethernet, he would need a MoCA bridge to hook up his own router, but it can certainly be done. The reason, btw, I'm stressing this is because Verizon's moved away from Ethernet installs. The installer may charge you extra to do it. Or they may not have the cat-5 cabling needed to hook you up that way. Wherever possible, their standard is to use MoCA (coax) for your internet connection.

Just to sum up, for the OP, if you are ok with using the Actiontec, you don't need to tell them anything. There is a rental fee associated with it, though. If you don't want to use the Actiontec, then you have a couple choices. You can ask them to hook you up as Ethernet, so you can use your own router, or you can pick up a MoCA bridge that will convert the MoCA signal to Ethernet, all without using their router.
fcfc2

fcfc2

said by JPL:

Why would he need Ethernet connectivity?

The assumption was that he was getting internet plus cable TV, so he will need either a Verizon router or an ethernet install. The QAM issue you mention is clearly not the OP's issue as he is asking if he can use cablecard devices. I did not mention trying to find, configure, or use a MoCA bridge for his WAN connection because frankly it is far easier and cheaper to get an older Actiontec to do the job. The only WAN MoCA bridge which seems to be occasional available on ebay are the older Netgear units and these, according to the guide can introduce interference on other channels.
said by JPL:

Next, if he gets the Actiontec, why does he need the rev I or above?

Since you seem to have missed it, there have been at least 2 relatively new posts saying that there is a new policy for all new installs requiring only the new G1100 or the Rev I. I challenged this actually and got 2 responses from the direct forum that said this was not necessary if the tier ordered was compatible with the older Actiontec units. I clearly and succinctly stated this in my post. What the truth is for certain, I don't know. Same thing with ethernet installs, although coax is the general policy, some have been able to get ethernet installs on the lower tiers when the installer was "cooperative" and the install was relatively "easy". The point is, the policy is one thing the practice may be different but I don't tell a new OP to plan on "exceptions" to the policy.
fcfc2

fcfc2 to cdr1000

to cdr1000
said by cdr1000:

... So, I have to tell Verizon before they install to enable ethernet port and to bring and activate a cable card?

Hi again,
As mentioned the standard install for 75/75 and below is coax, 150/150 and up is ethernet. If you are in the lower catigory, you will either have to run ethernet to the ONT yourself, or perhaps pay extra to have Verizon do it. Some have been lucky with the installers and / or had "easy" runs and have been able to get the installer to do it. Best bet, pick up some good CAT 6 and run it from your equipment to the ONT before the installer arrives. If you ordered online, you will probably have to call in to get a cablecard added to your order. The installer if willing, can complete the ethernet install and get the ONT switched over to ethernet from coax. If you do it yourself later, you can just call Verizon or use the Direct Forum to get it switched over to ethernet. If the installer brings the cablecard, he probably will help get it activated if your equipment is setup, if not there is an online activation and a phone number to call for the activation. You will need one cablecard per for the Samsung units and one for the Prime.

cdr1000

cdr1000

So - Verizon provides cable service over coax. Cable box or cable card tuner is required to only to decrypt channels that customer is paying for. Customers can use their own equipment but must rent a cable card.
Verizon provides internet service over Ethernet. Router is not required. Customer can use any means of connecting to internet, such as PC with two NIC cards and pfSense.
fcfc2

fcfc2

said by cdr1000:

So - Verizon provides cable service over coax. Cable box or cable card tuner is required to only to decrypt channels that customer is paying for. Customers can use their own equipment but must rent a cable card.

Yes, but you may have to initially accept one STB, which you can return and you will likely need to call to add cablecards to your initial order, I don't think you can do it online.
said by cdr1000:

Verizon provides internet service over Ethernet. Router is not required.

It is a bit confusing, standard installs up to 75/75 use coax to Verizon router via MoCA WAN, but the ONT can be switched to use ethernet from the ONT. You will need to provide the ethernet run from ONT to your router for the lower tiers. If you go to 150/150 and above an ethernet install is required for the internet. If you were not using Verizon's boxes you do not need a Verizon router in the mix, but it still may be required at the time of the initial install. Once your ethernet install is complete, you can just release the IP on the Verizon equipment and connect directly to your own router via ethernet. You can return the Verizon router then if you don't own it, but if you have trouble with your setup, Verizon usually requires one of their routers be setup as primary to trouble shoot it.
JPL
Premium Member
Downingtown, PA

3 edits

JPL to fcfc2

Premium Member

to fcfc2
Even getting internet service he doesn't need the actiontec even with moca service. He can get away with using a moca bridge. I made a point about not going Ethernet because its no longer a standard install and may have trouble getting such an install.

I was simply countering the assertion that he had to go Ethernet. Yes it would be easier but he may have trouble getting such an install unless he ran his own cat 5.

As for the need to go rev I or higher... There is no need unless you go with a quantum TV set up. That may be their practice now but up until a year ago when I upgraded to quantum I had a pre rev I version of the actiontec. I also know several customers who have actiontecs even older than the one that I had.
fcfc2

1 edit

fcfc2

said by fcfc2:

I did not mention trying to find, configure, or use a MoCA bridge for his WAN connection because frankly it is far easier and cheaper to get an older Actiontec to do the job. The only WAN MoCA bridge which seems to be occasional available on ebay are the older Netgear units and these, according to the guide can introduce interference on other channels.

Did I not make this clear enough?
EDIT, EDIT, EDIT: I admit and acknowledge that I did not include the possibility of using a MoCA WAN bridge for reasons already stated. It's absolutely great that you pointed this out. All other points, asked and answered. Perhaps, it would be good if we both focused on answering the OP's questions.
JPL
Premium Member
Downingtown, PA

3 edits

JPL

Premium Member

Calm down. I was just explaining my post. Relax.

And for the record there are other units that will do the job. Heck just a quick check of amazon pulls up a bunch, e.g.
»www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B ··· 82012702

I was also btw pointing out something you didn't - asking the installer to do ethernet can be an issue. Since its not a standard install anymore trying for such an install may not be all that easy. Shoot me for trying to save the op some money and frustration.
joeb99
join:2010-03-18

joeb99

Unfortunately you can't use that Actiontec MoCA bridge you linked for the WAN connection from the ONT. The Verizon routers used for Coax installs from the ONT operate on the MoCA C band at 1000MHz I believe, while the product you linked operates on the MoCA D band from 1125 - 1525MHZ. The bridge is only for LAN connections.
JPL
Premium Member
Downingtown, PA

JPL

Premium Member

Good point . I didn't give the specs that close of a read .

Xela18954
join:2000-10-06
Richboro, PA

Xela18954 to cdr1000

to cdr1000
You can rent a CableCARD from Verizon to use in a 3rd party set-top (like the above mentioned Samsung or Tivo). You don't specifically need to have an Internet service. CableCARD will be in a 1-way mode. Activation is done either over the phone by CSR or via a Verizon website.

Verizon may try to tell you that they require you to have a cable box from them but that's a BS. FCC regulations are quite clear on that and they obligated to provide a Cable Card without any other pre-conditions. If they persist tell the CSR that you will file a grievance/complaint with FCC.