spc
Search similar:

uniqs

compuguybna
join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN

compuguybna

Prequalified for UVERSE 3mpbs ? ? ?

Hello. Perhaps interested in getting uverse internet.

For the longest, we have been unable to get any AT&T internet service (DSL). About 2 months ago, an AT&T truck was stringing line on a pole. Being curious, I asked what they were doing. The tech said they were stringing FIBER line to help feed a cell phone tower about 7 miles away. I asked him if that meant we might have internet from AT&T soon. He replied "Maybe".

This fiber optic line they strung is different than the normal lines that would carry your traditional home phone service (or regular dsl).

On the picture. the new fiber line is followed by the RED, and the regular telephone lines are in yellow (as they run down our street). I assume the big black connection is some kind of fiber splitter. I do not see any connections of the fiber line running down out street however, it runs solely along the highway.

I would assume the fiber would be what would feed UVERSE, correct?

We've always been told we're TOO FAR away from the "CO" to get traditional DSL. So I would assume something about this new fiber line is supplying UVERSE internet (although at a slower 3mbps)..... I haven't seen any junction boxes along the highway or any "vrads".......

So, we qualify now, did the new fiber line make that possible? Or would the UVERSE 3mbps(highest we qualified for) be coming off the existing yellow wires (in pic)

I wanted to make sure service IS actually available. Does the addition of the fiber lines usually mean uverse internet is available?

thanks in advance. looking forward to service possibly!

I can PM you the service address.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall

Premium Member

If the max you can get is 3 Mbps, you're likely just hooked up to the CO over copper with ADSL2+. They sometimes deploy outdoor cabinets for ADSL2+, but it's not very common. Since you don't see any boxes in your area, it's probably from the CO if I had to guess.

compuguybna
Nashville, TN

compuguybna

Strange, but what would make us suddenly eligible for Uverse 3mbps internet when we weren't previously? Would it have something to do with the fiber AT&T strung (in pics). Would we fed off that fiber line for the uverse package, or would we get it from the typical phone line (yellow line in pic).

I know where the c/o - junction boxes are - - about 5 miles up the road (opposite direction of where the fiber is running)......I can't identify any others. Isn't even UVERSE internet constricted by distance from the c/o?

Guess I'm just wondering how we're suddenly eligible when we haven't been for years, until this fiber line appeared??....

Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall

Premium Member

said by compuguybna:

Strange, but what would make us suddenly eligible for Uverse 3mbps internet when we weren't previously? Would it have something to do with the fiber AT&T strung (in pics). Would we fed off that fiber line for the uverse package, or would we get it from the typical phone line (yellow line in pic).

I know where the c/o - junction boxes are - - about 5 miles up the road (opposite direction of where the fiber is running)......I can't identify any others. Isn't even UVERSE internet constricted by distance from the c/o?

Guess I'm just wondering how we're suddenly eligible when we haven't been for years, until this fiber line appeared??....

I can't tell you for the first questions as I don't work for the company and have no clue how they setup neighborhoods. Maybe someone else might have some more input on that.

U-verse is still DSL, just a different form of it(ADSL2+ or VDSL2), so distance still matters. It may also be fiber to the home, but with only 3 Mbps unavailable, that's not the case for you.

Maybe your neighborhood ports were full and you were just told you were too far?

I know that AT&T is beginning to use pair bonding on ADSL2+ in a few locations, but not sure if Tennessee is one of them.

compuguybna
Nashville, TN

compuguybna

anyone that has UVERSE phone as well??? . . . Are they are the taxes and fees tacked on like a traditional landline.

I don't recall any taxes on DSL alone from a few years at another location.

hyphenated
@mycingular.net

hyphenated to Darknessfall

Anon

to Darknessfall
There was like 10 new boxes around here very recent, probably about 10 that I know of all 18/1 max as far as I can tell. So yes it does happen. About half of these I know had a few extensive fiber runs, but they went with adsl. Meh ( I was hoping for faster upload :/ oh well. Maybe they'll upgrade it 2Mbps. )

compuguybna
Nashville, TN

compuguybna

that's why I am questioning availability. I have seen no new junction boxes, vrads, c/o cabinets. All the sudden we quality when we didn't earlier.

I wouldn't be fed directly off this new fiber line they installed would I? It runs down the highway, but not our street.
compuguybna

compuguybna

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Here's some more information and pics from where the closest "junction boxes" are.
I am about 14,256 feet (2.7 miles from this equipment), which is the only AT&T equipment I see before my house. Took a closer pic of all the feeds going into the equipment. Is this where I'm getting my 3mbps UVERSE connection fed from?

hyphenated
@mycingular.net

hyphenated

Anon

Probably. But a tech or someone would know definitely. If you are that far away that would be about right for 3 Meg.

compuguybna
Nashville, TN

compuguybna

There is another set of those same junction boxes 2.1 miles up the road towards the city. 2 miles before that you're in the city where there is a cabinet hung on a electric pole (in the city).

So looks like we got the main box in the city . . . 2.1 miles out another, another 2 or miles you got these in the pic, and I'm another 2.7 from these.

so, my connection is probably not coming from the fiber feed shown in the first pic that crosses my road, then??
compuguybna

compuguybna

I read this in the FAQ.....so I will be getting IPDSLAM U-Verse via ADSL2+
because TV did not come up in the qualification, so I must be getting my service from the boxes I took pics of.... the fiber might service some of this equipment, but the rest of the fiber line runs to a cell phone tower another 7 miles away.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you are placing an order online you will be directed to: »www.att.com/u-verse/avai ··· ndex.jsp to check the availability of services where you live. When you put your address in and the results come back that you are only able to order Internet and/or Voice Services (The TV service will show not available) then you will be using IPDSLAM U-Verse via ADSL2+.

If you are speaking with an agent on the phone, the sales agent will identify you are qualified for U-Verse Internet and/or Voice only; if you want to double check you can ask the agent if the validation system says "IPDSLAM ACCOUNT" or if the system identifies the address as "IP-CO" or "IP-RT".

Crazy Dave
Formerly known as Seph83
Premium Member
join:2004-04-29
Homer, GA
Askey TM-RTL0102
Ubiquiti UDM-US

Crazy Dave to compuguybna

Premium Member

to compuguybna
The cabinet with the power meter at it is indeed a VRAD, but because of your distance you can only get IPDSL, aka ADSL2+. You'd have to be within 5800 feet or so to qualify for Bonded pair VDSL. But take that VRAD as a good sign, because that means that there is at least a fiber ran that far to feed it, so hopefully you'll be in range of the next one they put on the line.

compuguybna
Nashville, TN

compuguybna

I am about 2.7 miles away from that junction box.... That's about 14,256 feet. so is that a no go?????

Crazy Dave
Formerly known as Seph83
Premium Member
Homer, GA

Crazy Dave

Premium Member

You should be a go for 3mb IPDSL, at that distance. I know the thresholds for VDSL but I'm not sure about IPDSL.

Mr Fel
INTJ - The Architect
Premium Member
join:2008-03-17
Louisville, KY
Asus RT-N66

Mr Fel

Premium Member

Cut off for 3M is 10.8k ft, 1.5M is about 12K ft, 768K after that until 15K which past that is a disqualification. That's based on 26 gauge wiring, if the gauge is 24 or even 22 it makes the estimated wire length shorter. That's pretty much unknown until you try to light up service on it or know a lineman that knows that particular cable.

Crazy Dave
Formerly known as Seph83
Premium Member
Homer, GA

Crazy Dave

Premium Member

I thought those distances were for ADSL not ADSL2+?

Mr Fel
INTJ - The Architect
Premium Member
join:2008-03-17
Louisville, KY

Mr Fel

Premium Member

Those are what we use on IPDSL, basically ADSL2+ on PTM.

Crazy Dave
Formerly known as Seph83
Premium Member
Homer, GA

Crazy Dave

Premium Member

Oh wow, I was thinking that 6M was good for like 9,000 feet. Though that was with a different ISP. I was 1,800 feet from a Fiber Fed RT with that ISP so I never cared about distances. I'm still in training, so thanks for the info!

compuguybna
Nashville, TN

compuguybna

If those boxes are where my service is coming from (which are the only ones I've seen going to my house), then its about 14,000 feet from these. There is a AT&T building which someone suggested might be a co/pop, its about 1/2 mile closer to my house
I'm not very optimistic this will work, but been "prequalified" by two different services.

The pic attached seems to be some hub for wireless.
compuguybna

compuguybna

Install is WEDNESDAY. lets see what happens . . . .

Actually, I'm not too optimistic, but see what AT&T figures out.

Any chance the cable from the pole would need to be replaced? its been here since 1982.
compuguybna

compuguybna

Install cancelled. "ENGINEERING ISSUES".........

The reinstalled for 3/19......... wonder when they'll cancel again.

order notes state NVG510 modem, which, reading reviews, seems to be the WORST modem you could possibly have.

What if I demand a NVG589? will that work with IP - ADSL2+?

ILpt4U
Premium Member
join:2006-11-12
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

1 edit

ILpt4U

Premium Member

An NVG589 would work it IPDSLAM on ADSL2+, but it is not the "typical" modem to use in that scenario.

The NVG510 is the modem designated for use with Single Pair ADSL2+ U-Verse. If you are not getting Static IPs nor U-Verse Voice, you could request the Motorola/Arris 2210 modem only unit -- if your local techs even have them on their trucks. But the 2210 requires internet only Single Pair ADSL2+, and no static IPs. Or you could try to source your own 2210 via 3rd parties (eBay, Amazon Marketplace, Craigslist, etc). If you try that route, you need the "Black" 2210, not the "Gray" one.

UverseRocks
@sbcglobal.net

UverseRocks

Anon

I have the NVG510 modem works great no issues.

compuguybna
Nashville, TN

compuguybna to ILpt4U

to ILpt4U
Reading online, the NVG510 is just a big box of trouble. Already had trouble actually "qualifying" for the service"..... I'm sure something will bomb out when they get here.
said by ILpt4U:

An NVG589 would work it IPDSLAM on ADSL2+, but it is not the "typical" modem to use in that scenario.

The NVG510 is the modem designated for use with Single Pair ADSL2+ U-Verse. If you are not getting Static IPs nor U-Verse Voice, you could request the Motorola/Arris 2210 modem only unit -- if your local techs even have them on their trucks. But the 2210 requires internet only Single Pair ADSL2+, and no static IPs

ham3843
join:2015-01-15
USA

ham3843

They don't even make the motorola 2210 anymore the successor and a much better option is the motorola 3360. It works much better and unlike the 2210 will not fail after one year due to heat and ventilation issues.

ILpt4U
Premium Member
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

ILpt4U to compuguybna

Premium Member

to compuguybna
Other current modems that would work with IPDSLAM ADSL2+ include the 2Wire/Pace 5031NV and 5168NV

The 5031NV is typically used with single pair VDSL2 internet and/or voice circuits, and the 5168NV is typically used with Pair Bonded ADSL2+ internet and/or voice circuits

Either will sync and work with Single Pair ADSL2+ U-Verse, but they are not the current "standard" for Single Pair ADSL2+
ILpt4U

ILpt4U to ham3843

Premium Member

to ham3843
said by ham3843:

They don't even make the motorola 2210 anymore the successor and a much better option is the motorola 3360. It works much better and unlike the 2210 will not fail after one year due to heat and ventilation issues.

Is there a U-Verse version of the Motorola 3360, though? The Black U-Verse 2210 is different than the normal Gray DSL version

compuguybna
Nashville, TN

compuguybna

guess I'll see what the tech arrives with . . .

I just checked the address near the junction boxes, and everything qualified for UVERSE 45mbs, TV, and Phone . . . 2.6 miles down the road(where I am), it drops to 3.0mpbs internet only (and phone).

I might just end up keeping my other ISP, and just eat the $30 extra I'm paying (at least it works)......trying to save a little on the budget.

not very optimistic at this point about uverse. At least I cancel within 30 days if its awful!
ham3843
join:2015-01-15
USA

ham3843 to ILpt4U

to ILpt4U

Is there a U-Verse version of the Motorola 3360, though? The Black U-Verse 2210 is different than the normal Gray DSL version

I have the latest Motorola 3360 and it is compatible with both ADSL, ADSL2 , and ADSL2+.

ILpt4U
Premium Member
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

ILpt4U

Premium Member

said by ham3843:

I have the latest Motorola 3360 and it is compatible with both ADSL, ADSL2 , and ADSL2+.

That is only part of the equation.

Is it compatible with PTM and 802.1x Certificate authentication that the U-Verse network uses, as opposed to ATM and PPPoE that the old DSL network uses?

If not, then the modem will not work with U-Verse ADSL2+