1 edit

3 recommendations

MacGyver to oshawapilot

to oshawapilot

Re: [Cable] 100/10 and 250/20 tier availability timeline

Rogers is:
- undercutting TPIAs
- stonewalling the use of certain modems for which no technical reason exists
- taunting TPIA customers by needlessly requiring a new modem any time speeds are changed
- manipulated the system to prevent TPIA access to certain speed tiers.
- dangling a carrot in front of your face

And THIS is a company that somebody wants to do business with? How dumb are we?
xdrag
join:2005-02-18
North York, ON

3 edits

xdrag to Triggahappy

to Triggahappy
yes, rogers is the devil argument..... sure

Well, i'm going to play the devil's advocate and focus on the "value" here as a customer.

but you can't argue that the "value" of the Rogers plan is there.

There will ALWAYS be ways the incumbents will screw with TPIA. It started with throttling. The only solution to that will be stop using their last-mile and build a completely independent network.

I really don't see how the TPIA has taken the fight to the next level.

All the momentum from "UBB" has withered away. the general public doesn't care anymore. What they see are $ on the bill they pay every month.

With the 2015 election coming up, should there be a louder voice? Should there be lobbying for better internet plans (much like the wireless plans?)

Maybe some focus on an "advertising/awareness" division? That was the hope with openmedia but really it hasn't done much since UBB.

What is "THE PLAN". It seems like the TPIA will always be on the defensive/reactionary side.

Roger/Bell fucks them over, TPIA does something to counter (hopefully)

damir
join:2013-12-12
CANADA

damir

War between Rogers & TPIAs doesn't bother me at all. (They all get paid for doing this by the money we spend).
(A lot of money we spent - is used \ was used to "fight" Rogers\Bell - i am sure that money could of be spent in a better ways, for us, customers, but, it doesn't, why? Its how it is here in Canada - and i can't do anything about it - even though people will say - YOU CAN - but, in the end ... its a joke).

What matters in the end is what is the best for my pocket. (and at this time, none of ISPs in Ontario can beat Rogers).

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

1 recommendation

jmck to MacGyver

to MacGyver
I think Rogers is more at war with Bell who has taken away a lot of not only Internet customers but TV with it's Fibe service being superior. Rogers has no reason to actually take away TPIA customers since a TPIA customer is technically a Rogers customer too they probably make more per TPIA customer than their own with these packages.

I'm honestly more excited about what this means for Bell, hopefully pushing out vectoring/bonding to double their speeds.
xdrag
North York, ON

3 edits

xdrag to damir

to damir
said by damir:

War between Rogers & TPIAs doesn't bother me at all. (They all get paid for doing this by the money we spend).
(A lot of money we spent - is used \ was used to "fight" Rogers\Bell - i am sure that money could of be spent in a better ways, for us, customers, but, it doesn't, why? Its how it is here in Canada - and i can't do anything about it - even though people will say - YOU CAN - but, in the end ... its a joke).

What matters in the end is what is the best for my pocket. (and at this time, none of ISPs in Ontario can beat Rogers).

Exactly. We have supported TSI/Start for the reasons being that they were cheaper than Rogers and second, they help create competition for the big 3.

Well now there is competition and the case for TPIA is losing credibility with the same old spin that "rogers are the bad guys" coupled with the fact that there's an absolutely legislative stand-still, price hike and lack of progress.

Blame the CRTC/Rogers/Bell all we want but on the surface, there's nothing going on. Maybe TPIA has a lot of things going on behind doors but the customer doesn't see any of this other than the $$$ on the bill.

Strip away all of that PR and dung flinging, is that all of these companies are looking for profit. TSI just expanded to a 25k sqft new office so they are obviously doing "OK".

Robber/rogers are offering plans that are not offered by the TPIA at prices competitive to TPIA. On top of that, you don't have to play the modem game with them.

Being a TSI customer has "costs" as well. We eat the modem costs. We get slower access to speeds. Slower tech roll out. No "retention" deals.

MacGyver

join:2001-10-14
Vancouver, BC
·TELUS
Actiontec T3200M
Arcadyan WE410443-TS
Sipura SPA-2102

MacGyver to jmck

to jmck
said by jmck:

I'm honestly more excited about what this means for Bell, hopefully pushing out vectoring/bonding to double their speeds.

I'm still on 6/1, so anything here would be an improvement. FTTH is available 500m away.
wayner92
join:2006-01-17
Toronto, ON

wayner92

I have to think that Rogers' new plans are going to put pressue on Teksavvy. From Teksavvy the best I can buy is 60/10 service and to get unlimited the price is $95. WIth Rogers I get 250/20 service for the same price plus addons and I don't have to buy a modem.

IMHO the main reason to go with a TPIA in the past was unlimited data. That no longer applies since Rogers' top two tiers are now unlimited.

damir
CANADA

damir

TPIA is 'excellent' for grandfathered plans, otherwise ... any1 in need of higher speeds then 30 mbit, i doubt TPIA is a good choice atm.
abcjak
join:2012-12-18

abcjak to Triggahappy

to Triggahappy
all this reminds me a lot of when we had the 3rd party contracts available for hydro, natural gas, and long distance telephone calls. Everyone who got on them, did it for the marginal cost savings just like we see with ISP pricing now. Where are those hydro/gas/phone guys now? I'm not even sure they're around anymore, and if they are, they certainly aren't like they were. They too had their extra hassles and hoops because you're 1 step removed from the service just like these ISP's are. If pricing is the same, their only edge is be gone. As far as i see it, there is no other advantage for the consumer.
slvrsi
join:2009-09-08

slvrsi to Triggahappy

to Triggahappy
TPIAs are still providing value for those who want/need lower speeds at a lower cost. If they lose that market; then yes; time to go back to incumbents...
wayner92
Toronto, ON

wayner92

said by slvrsi:

TPIAs are still providing value for those who want/need lower speeds at a lower cost

Yes but this seems to be a bit of a change. A couple of years ago the best reason to get a TPIA was to be able to get unlimited service at a reasonable price. That was, at least in many ways, a premium product vs the incumbents.

But now they are being shoved down to the low end of the market and Rogers looks like they may be shifting to an Apple-like strategy (at least when it comes to Smartphones) where they don't care about the low end of the market and just want the mid-high end.
geokilla
join:2010-10-04
North York, ON

geokilla to Teddy Boom

to Teddy Boom
said by Teddy Boom:

said by geokilla:

Can't we use the same modem that Rogers is using for their 250/20 package?

According to the CRTC's regulations, yes. According to Rogers, no. More here:
»Re: [Cable] SBG6580 Videotron - Teksavvy

Well that doesn't make sense... Plus that's such an old post. Surely something's changed.
said by wayner92:

said by slvrsi:

TPIAs are still providing value for those who want/need lower speeds at a lower cost

Yes but this seems to be a bit of a change. A couple of years ago the best reason to get a TPIA was to be able to get unlimited service at a reasonable price. That was, at least in many ways, a premium product vs the incumbents.

But now they are being shoved down to the low end of the market and Rogers looks like they may be shifting to an Apple-like strategy (at least when it comes to Smartphones) where they don't care about the low end of the market and just want the mid-high end.

Well the new CEO is trying to revive the company and making it better. I like his decisions and what he's doing on the cable and Internet side of things. Not so much mobile.

damir
CANADA

damir

Give it some time

BACONATOR26
Premium Member
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON

BACONATOR26 to MacGyver

Premium Member

to MacGyver
said by MacGyver:

Rogers is:
- taunting TPIA customers by needlessly requiring a new modem any time speeds are changed

This is not specific to TPIA, Rogers has changed modem requirements a few times over the past two years.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium Member
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON

TwiztedZero

Premium Member

said by BACONATOR26:

said by MacGyver:

Rogers is:

This is not specific to TPIA, Rogers has changed modem requirements a few times over the past two years.

Confirmed, they've been doing this to their own rCable customers too as of late in particular for the highest tiers they have.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON

1 edit

Teddy Boom to abcjak

Premium Member

to abcjak
said by abcjak:

all this reminds me a lot of when we had the 3rd party contracts available for hydro, natural gas, and long distance telephone calls.

It is a very important comparison, and it deserves some investigation. The unbundling of those services never really effected me personally, but I always questioned the rational.

In particular..
-For electricity and natural gas, the product is identical
-For electricity, you are reselling the product of a publicly owned utility without much profit motive
-Consumers who did sign contracts for these services did not fair particularly well. I remember reading articles suggesting that more people lost on the third party arrangements than won.

Long distance is the one that made the most sense, and I'm guessing was most successful. It was mostly superseded by VoIP and calling cards more than 5 years ago though.

Roads, data, electricity, gas and water are all natural monopolies that should be served with a public utility model of some description. Unfortunately in the 90s we had some insane policy direction that wanted to privatize all of the publicly owned utilities and deregulate privately owned ones. It was anything from disastrous, like the 407, to merely unsuccessful, like natural gas deregulation.

Two aspects of internet service stand out for me. One, unlike water electricity or gas, the product sold in data pipelines is not inherently identical. Different ISPs can have different peering arrangements, different usage and traffic management policies. Two, internet service is held by a cartel of very profit oriented companies bent on extorting the public to the tune of 50% operating profit margins and 4% dividends for shareholders. Enbridge doesn't come close to those numbers... I'd love to know more about this corporate stuff. I really don't know how to read an annual report at all.

One other off hand note.. I recently saw somebody here at dslreports comparing electric utility and internet service, and questioning why electricity didn't limit your "speed" but internet had all kinds of different speed tiers. That's a misconception. Electricity service to a house comes in many "speeds".. 60Amp service, 100Amp service, 200Amp service.. I believe those only cost different amounts to install, I don't think any portion of the electricity bill charges for the service level you are connected at. Commercial electricity bills include a demand cost though, which is not at all unlike 95th percentile billing used in internet peering--a direct monthly bill against the effective "speed".
Expand your moderator at work

tekSavvyUser
@teksavvy.com

tekSavvyUser to Teddy Boom

Anon

to Teddy Boom

Please read the fine print, maximum data download per hour is 2Gig per hour (true, 2gig per hour) regardless of the plan (even the unlimited one with highest download/upload speed). Please check their full details specs on their website.
ezacarias
join:2008-10-26
Mississauga, ON

ezacarias

Where did you see that? That 2 Gig/hour is an estimate of data bandwidth if using the their shomi service
wayner92
Toronto, ON

wayner92 to tekSavvyUser

to tekSavvyUser
said by tekSavvyUser :

maximum data download per hour

For Rogers? Where did you see that? I have been using their 250 service for over a year and I download way more than 2G per hour on a very regular basis. I have many days when I have done over 50GBs which is an average of over 2GB per hour.
Anzio
join:2008-11-22

Anzio

It seems like he may have skimmed through the fine print at the bottom of the packages page and just read the Shomi usage per hour (as ezacarias mentioned).
dallas1
join:2014-04-16
Oshawa

dallas1

I have used 2tb in a month last month before that was 1tb

XxAjithxX
join:2014-03-12
Scarborough, ON

XxAjithxX to Triggahappy

to Triggahappy
Rogers' new pricings are indeed tempting...

However, I can never see myself supporting a company such as Bell or Rogers.
Their corporate ethics(or rather lack of) sickens me.

Just a week ago, Rogers' Senior Vice President David Purdy explicitly stated in a Content Industry Connect conference that he wants to see VPNs banned. Really? Does Rogers really have their head stuck that far up their a**?
morisato
join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON

morisato to Triggahappy

to Triggahappy
I am A Teksavvy lover and user, But The dragging of the modems combined with the Sheer bs rogers pulls for repairs and many The time a Pricing review of Costs for Indies is has Forced me to make a Tough Decision to switch to rogers. - Going over to there 250/20 for Almost the same as i pay for my 150.. to make this Decision i went ahead and Removed Company names from the pricing. And Showed them to some friends, Most Told me i would be nuts to not get the 250/20 And then i told them that was robbers. most = Shocked i would even consider it..

Teksavvy if You need Any Pieces to support the problems with The Crtc and legislation and the BS time and Modem crap and all the Fake walls rogers Puts Up Actually harming your Business and costing you Customers who Would rather be Your Customer in every way But due to all the BS end up back with rogers. I am more than willing to speak on your behalf.
xdrag
North York, ON

xdrag to XxAjithxX

to XxAjithxX

plenty of companies have grey tactics.

it's just whether the public knows about them and how much they can keep it "under wraps"

if you think anything else, it's ignorance

Anyways, I think there's growing frustration and dissatisfaction among TPIA/TSI customers. Rogers is pushing back hard and I can see a flood of customers moving back to Rogers if things don't improve soon.

As, I said, I was the first TSI DSL customers and supported them through these many years. However, TSI also had issues in the past (overselling capacity - network went to a crawl).

People should keep an open mind... Hopefully TSI is recognizing these concerns.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium Member
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON

TwiztedZero

Premium Member

Don't drink the incumbent coolaid.
xdrag
North York, ON

xdrag

said by TwiztedZero:

Don't drink the incumbent coolaid.

I've been a TSI customer as long if not, longer than you. I don't know who you're saying is drinking coolaid

I've supported TSI and my intentions is not to bash TSI. But for the record, TSI has their faults.
I've done my part in voicing my concerns and submitted my comments to the CRTC (in support of the TPIA). As a consumer, I've done more than enough.

I can point out some TSI coolaid if you want to continue but I prefer not. Quite frankly, i'm very neutral.
wooi
join:2002-03-11

wooi to Triggahappy

to Triggahappy

I was like ... "wow" with Rogers newest offer. I called Rogers last thursday and was given a quote (waived installation fees *and* $100 credit). I didn't sign up and the rep gave me a quote # in case I change my mind. I called back the next day and I was told the note on the quote said $100 credit but no free installation.

That totally reminded me the nightmare I had with rogers years ago -- they keep changing their stories and wanted me to threaten to leave before giving me discounts. Having said that, I still like their speed.

I will stick with teksavvy for a few more months until they have their newer speed tiers. Cheers.