uniqs

moffa
join:2007-10-14
North York, ON

1 edit

moffa to Teddy Boom

to Teddy Boom

Re: [Cable] 100/10 and 250/20 tier availability timeline

Torix: »www.torix.ca/membership.php pricing shows $1,200/year for a SIngle Gigabit line. If you buy the 4x10Gbps lines its obviously cheaper but that's where I was getting the $100/month from. I can't see how it can cost that much more for a port at an aggregated POI compared to a port at Torix. Guess you have to add the costs from the APOI to Front St, but I'm not sure how that costs that much. The CRTC is run by industry who get to file their own costs. It should at least be from a 3rd party auditor.

oshawapilot
join:2005-07-12
Courtice, ON

oshawapilot to v6movement

to v6movement
said by v6movement :

The cable connections are almost always over-provisioned and that 6Mb connection is closer to 5. So yes it is half.

Based on speedtest reports from some I've seen on these new tiers...they are actually getting close to the advertised speeds.

It sickens me to have to say it...but I'm getting really close to pulling the trigger on the 100 meg Rogers service. I'm just finding 25 megs increasingly limiting with the amount of streaming and downloading our house (2 well connected adults and 2 even better connected teens). It was darned fast when I got it years ago, but 2400 baud seemed blistering fast at one point for me as well...in the 1980's. Time marches on.
dallas1
join:2014-04-16
Oshawa

dallas1

You should switch over save money better deal higher speed

v6movement
@pppoe.ca

v6movement to oshawapilot

Anon

to oshawapilot
said by oshawapilot:

Based on speedtest reports from some I've seen on these new tiers...they are actually getting close to the advertised speeds.

Not sure where you're going with that. I said over-provisioned not under-provisioned and many speeds tests I've seen on here show people receiving speeds much faster than advertised which goes back to what I said about being over-provisioned.
sakraycore
join:2008-01-08
Scarborough, ON

sakraycore to Triggahappy

to Triggahappy
that fast of speed isn't really necessary for me, just wish they can give me that speed 24/7 and fix the line stability
marshymarshy
join:2013-08-14

marshymarshy to Triggahappy

to Triggahappy
Any comment from TSI?

Even if it's a "No, we're not planning on offering these tiers" would be appreciated.

TSI Marc
Premium Member
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc

Premium Member

I haven't read the entire thread, just going from the title, yeah for sure. Would love to offer those tiers.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by TSI Marc:

I haven't read the entire thread, just going from the title, yeah for sure. Would love to offer those tiers.

Do you have any insight why the required modems are not available yet? The Cisco DPC3848 24x8 modem has been identified by TekSavvy that will be used for the higher tiers.

We've known about it since October 31st 2014, yet it's almost the end of March and those things are nowhere to be found. Supply issues were said to be the problem, but 5 months later still?

TSI Marc
Premium Member
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc

Premium Member

No news yet
chipface
join:2011-07-13

chipface to oshawapilot

to oshawapilot

said by oshawapilot See Profile
It sickens me to have to say it...but I'm getting really close to pulling the trigger on the 100 meg Rogers service. I'm just finding 25 megs increasingly limiting with the amount of streaming and downloading our house (2 well connected adults and 2 even better connected teens). It was darned fast when I got it years ago, but 2400 baud seemed blistering fast at one point for me as well...in the 1980's. Time marches on.

I just made the switch to Ignite 250 from cable 45. The speeds are just awesome. Most of the speed tests I've done I get at least the 250 down. Downloaded 128MB off of Steam in 5 seconds.

oshawapilot
Courtice, ON

oshawapilot

As I sit here tonight trying to surf while both my teens AND my wife are streaming netflix, and I'm getting the bandwidth scraps left over, these urges are getting stronger. I really hope Tsi gets something at least faster together soon to compete - I'm sticking with them for the time being but as time marches on and bandwidth becomes an increasingly important commodity... this 25 meg connection isn't as blistering as it seemed a few years ago when I got it.
xdrag
join:2005-02-18
North York, ON

xdrag

Data consumption has gotten exponentially greater. Everything is in HD + more online content
Expand your moderator at work

v6movement
@cgocable.net

v6movement to oshawapilot

Anon

to oshawapilot

Re: [Cable] 100/10 and 250/20 tier availability timeline

said by oshawapilot:

I really hope Tsi gets something at least faster together soon to compete

60 is not greater than 25?

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to oshawapilot

Premium Member

to oshawapilot
said by oshawapilot:

As I sit here tonight trying to surf while both my teens AND my wife are streaming netflix, and I'm getting the bandwidth scraps left over, these urges are getting stronger. I really hope Tsi gets something at least faster together soon to compete - I'm sticking with them for the time being but as time marches on and bandwidth becomes an increasingly important commodity... this 25 meg connection isn't as blistering as it seemed a few years ago when I got it.

If you're on cable, you can easily upgrade to 60meg and more than double your speed...

If you're on 25meg VDSL, see if 50meg is available on your line.

diskace
Retired
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21

1 recommendation

diskace to Jay_P

Premium Member

to Jay_P
said by Jay_P:

said by TwiztedZero:

You guys aren't listening.

There Are NO MODEMS!!!

Quoting Ebox's diskace
Well said, as for the 24x4 / 24x8 modems we currently have the DPC3848 from cisco approved but north of 200$ it's ridiculously expensive. We should have better option later this year, until then you probably won't see any 100/10 offer from TPIA.

Just want to clarify this statement. The DPC3848 is difficult to obtain and way too expensive. Supplies are sporadic and not constant making it difficult to start selling officially. Cisco has little interest into TPIA market at the moment and it is currently the only vendor approved for 100 or 250 Mbits TPIA speed. Thomson and SmartRG are working on getting certification from cablelabs on a 24x8 D3.0 modem but we won't see this model hit the market until end of Q2 / beginning Q3 2015. Be patient, things are on their way.
Doonz (banned)
join:2010-11-27
Beaumont, AB

Doonz (banned)

said by diskace:

said by Jay_P:

said by TwiztedZero:

You guys aren't listening.

There Are NO MODEMS!!!

Quoting Ebox's diskace
Well said, as for the 24x4 / 24x8 modems we currently have the DPC3848 from cisco approved but north of 200$ it's ridiculously expensive. We should have better option later this year, until then you probably won't see any 100/10 offer from TPIA.

Just want to clarify this statement. The DPC3848 is difficult to obtain and way too expensive. Supplies are sporadic and not constant making it difficult to start selling officially. Cisco has little interest into TPIA market at the moment and it is currently the only vendor approved for 100 or 250 Mbits TPIA speed. Thomson and SmartRG are working on getting certification from cablelabs on a 24x8 D3.0 modem but we won't see this model hit the market until end of Q2 / beginning Q3 2015. Be patient, things are on their way.

But what your saying is once thats done if an Cableco offers the 250/15 package the tpia should have access for that packge...

diskace
Retired
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21

diskace

Premium Member

As soon as it's on the tariff we can theoretically do it with the right modem (now it's a modem problem). Now some might not want to do it because they are not making money with the current CBB rates. That's why we don't do 120 and 200 Mbits on V-Cable land (too expensive CBB wise) so instead of posting rates higher than the incumbent we prefer to fold until the tariff is revised.

v6movement
@cgocable.net

v6movement to diskace

Anon

to diskace
said by diskace:

Personally I have no problem spending $200 on a modem. It's the month to month cost of the service that is way too high and even more so with the ridiculous caps.
GoRaptors
join:2011-07-22
London, ON

GoRaptors to Triggahappy

to Triggahappy
When is that CBB rate decision forthcoming from the CRTC based on the hearings
late last fall?

We all are anxiously awaiting it!
(I'm with Distributel).

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom

Premium Member

said by GoRaptors:

When is that CBB rate decision forthcoming from the CRTC based on the hearings late last fall?

The wholesale service review is not, in itself, going to include rate changes. It is to set the policy direction in a broad sense. Rogers has applied for revised tariffs for fixed connection costs, and filed new tariffs of course. If the CRTC wanted to be really pro active, they might sneak a revised CBB rate into one of those decision.
Doonz (banned)
Beaumont, AB

Doonz (banned)

200 is cheap for the modem. I just dropped 1700 on a switch for at home. Most users who are looking for these high tiers tend to be the power users of the interwebs.
bluenote73
join:2009-02-17
Canada

bluenote73 to oshawapilot

to oshawapilot
said by oshawapilot:

Are you sure you don't have some other issue going on? According to netflix, their *recommended* speed is 5mbps per HD stream. With 3 streams going, you would still have 10 Mbps to play with. And since that's a recommended number I'm guessing in real life the actual use would be less.

v6movement
@pppoe.ca

v6movement

Anon

said by bluenote73:

Are you sure you don't have some other issue going on? According to netflix, their *recommended* speed is 5mbps per HD stream. With 3 streams going, you would still have 10 Mbps to play with. And since that's a recommended number I'm guessing in real life the actual use would be less.

Well keep in mind the highest bitrate stream from NF (which isn't saying much) is 7 Mbps. So if all 3 were running at the highest bit rate that only leaves 4 Mbps left over.

oshawapilot
Courtice, ON

oshawapilot

said by v6movement :

Well keep in mind the highest bitrate stream from NF (which isn't saying much) is 7 Mbps. So if all 3 were running at the highest bit rate that only leaves 4 Mbps left over.

Yep, that. ^^^

Add in some other network traffic (since teens can not only watch Netflix but use their smartphones at the same time Skyping with friends, etc) that remaining few megs goes away pretty fast.

And yes, I'm aware I can go up in speed and I'll probably do exactly that in the coming days from the 25 meg service to the 50. I'm on dryloop DSL so I'm paying $5/Month for the dryloop fee on top of the monthly fee, however, which bumps the price to $54/Month. THIS is where I'm coming from with regards to saying (comparing price/speed to the new Ignite plans) I'm hoping Tsi comes up with some better option.
xdrag
join:2005-02-18
North York, ON

xdrag to Doonz

to Doonz
said by Doonz:

200 is cheap for the modem. I just dropped 1700 on a switch for at home. Most users who are looking for these high tiers tend to be the power users of the interwebs.

$200 is extremely expensive. Considering the modem is free from Rogers, the TPIA is playing a losing game with modems. This is cost passed on to the customer.

for the most part, most users only need a modern router to get their house set-up. Not a industrial class hub.
Doonz (banned)
Beaumont, AB

Doonz (banned)

said by xdrag:

said by Doonz:

$200 is extremely expensive. Considering the modem is free from Rogers, the TPIA is playing a losing game with modems. This is cost passed on to the customer.

for the most part, most users only need a modern router to get their house set-up. Not a industrial class hub.

And again, the people who will utilize the larger speeds are usually the heavy computer user. not mom and pop who watch 1 stream of netflix.

v6movement
@pppoe.ca

v6movement to xdrag

Anon

to xdrag
said by xdrag:

It isn't for me. It isn't free when you're spending a lot of money on the service. When they ship me a modem without signing up for service or spending a penny then it is free.

MacGyver

join:2001-10-14
Vancouver, BC
·TELUS
Actiontec T3200M
Arcadyan WE410443-TS
Sipura SPA-2102

MacGyver to oshawapilot

to oshawapilot
Well I'm stuck on 6/1 where I am, so I don't have a lot of sympathy for your situation. However, have you considered using QoS on your router to better control the usage of the bandwidth available? I have it set to the kids streaming goofy cartoons don't bog down mom and dad's important stuff, or the VoIP lines.

damir
join:2013-12-12
CANADA

damir to v6movement

to v6movement
said by v6movement :

said by xdrag:

It isn't for me. It isn't free when you're spending a lot of money on the service. When they ship me a modem without signing up for service or spending a penny then it is free.

LoL.