join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA

1 edit

SparkChaser to schinjay

Premium Member

to schinjay

Re: [HVAC] Problem with odors caused by UV light in Air handler

said by schinjay :

Can any of you that have experiece with UV lights in your HVAC system tell me exactly where they were mounted? I think this a key ingredient since this one is not mobnted in any off the locations suggested by the light manufacturer.

didn't you say right above the heat exchanger. like this

»www.freshaireuv.com/blue ··· ube.html
quote:
Germicidal UV kit installed just above the V juncture of the coil

garys_2k
Premium Member
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

garys_2k to schinjay

Premium Member

to schinjay
I put mine right above the A-coil, like shown above. Never an odor.
lutful
... of ideas
Premium Member
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON

lutful to schinjay

Premium Member

to schinjay
said by schinjay :

brand new Lennox system ...
Aprilaire Filter assembly at the intake of the air handler up in our attic
... Ultravation UltraMax EZ-UV Germicidal UV kit
... just above the V juncture of the coil, just before the fan motor

After turning off the UV lamp, take a few photos showing the lamp, filter and fan motor wiring. The root cause is probably right there.

schinjay
@sbcglobal.net

schinjay to SparkChaser

Anon

to SparkChaser
Yes, that's basically where it is mounted. The blower fan motor wiring is right under the fan assembly, in the open, running into the next section of the cabinet where the control panels are. Couldn't the UV light possibly be attacking that wiring?

garys_2k
Premium Member
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

garys_2k

Premium Member

The light won't penetrate through the A coil. But yes, pictures would help.
lutful
... of ideas
Premium Member
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON

lutful to schinjay

Premium Member

to schinjay
said by schinjay :

The blower fan motor wiring is right under the fan assembly, in the open, running into the next section of the cabinet where the control panels are. Couldn't the UV light possibly be attacking that wiring?

Since UV wavelength is really short, and metal reflects it very well, the whole area gets flooded, and some UV can even leak out through tiniest gaps. That is why you must turn off the lamp each time before checking that area.

Furnace makers don't count on internal cables and components being exposed to sunlight, so UV protection is not applied. The cable insulation or internal painted surfaces could certainly be affected by UV exposure.

But my hunch is the air filter assembly, because it has plastic in addition to mold/fungus/dirt.

schinjay
@sbcglobal.net

schinjay

Anon

The filter is not exposed to the UV light. It is beyond the coil I checked the filter media and did not see or smell any adverse effect on the filter.