uniqs

SYNACK
Just Firewall It
Mod
join:2001-03-05
Venice, CA

SYNACK

Mod

Network change last night in California?

Shortly after midnight I lost internet access for quite a while. WIFI and router were fine but internet access was completely broken. On the router, the coax interface was listed as "up" (in red) instead of "connected" (in green).

When the network came back on, I was on a completely different IP subnet, even the first octet had changed. (now 108.x.x.x).

I wish they would announce these things beforehand. Was there a notification I missed?

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

VZ doesn't announce those things.

If you're not on a business IP account with a static IP address, VZ will hand out DHCP addresses in a variety of IP blocks. You have no control over what IP block they assign you, nor should you care.
PJL
join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA

PJL to SYNACK

to SYNACK
We've been on the 108 segment since mid-last year, so they're probably consolidating -- perhaps, regretfully, in advance of the sale to Frontier.

birdfeedr
MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI

birdfeedr to SYNACK

MVM

to SYNACK
Look at the FiOS Monitors. The first two octets are posted for each account. I don't think the IPs are geographic or regional.
Darrin
join:2009-02-28
Venice, CA

Darrin to SYNACK

to SYNACK
Also in Venice, I had the same outage. Just after midnight and down for 20-30 minutes I think. I got a new IP, but with the 71.165 network prefix. I wouldn't read too much into the IP address change, its probably just their DHCP server losing its bindings and then allocating fresh addresses.

But today there seems to be niggling fleeting routing issues. Nothing too major. I guess they must be messing around with the network here. It's been really good for me lately, so I hope they don't screw it up.

WalterWhite
@verizon.net

WalterWhite

Anon

They probably upgraded their Gateway/Edge router to MX960. I went thru same thing in Philly few weeks back. Expect few things to break if you use Action Rev I in bridge mode with another router.

SYNACK
Just Firewall It
Mod
join:2001-03-05
Venice, CA

SYNACK to More Fiber

Mod

to More Fiber
said by More Fiber:

You have no control over what IP block they assign you, nor should you care.

No, I don't care. I have dynamic DNS working just fine (I need it to access my security system, etc.). Mentioning the subnet change was just another bit of information that apparently something got reorganized on their end during the downtime. Typically I keep the same IP for very long times. Maybe it does not mean anything, but the downtime was definitely real .
Kelbo
join:2002-09-08
Huntington Beach, CA

Kelbo

I'm in Huntington Beach, and have had an open ticket with FiOS for a month regarding low upload speeds. Things have improved over the last day and a half (which might or might not be related to this OP), but I received an update from Verizon last night that they are still working on the issue, so I take it that more work is planning to be performed.
ScrawnyB
join:2004-05-18
Mechanicsburg, PA

ScrawnyB to SYNACK

to SYNACK
I've been on the 108.55.x.x since September, so I wondered the same thing.

I believe mine changed when I finally moved to GPON.