mbender71
join:2003-08-31
Orlando, FL

mbender71

[Internet] Official : 300Mbps/15Mbps Tampa + Central Florida

Well I guess it's official now. BrightHouse press statement :

03/06/2015

Orlando, FL
Bright House Networks is bringing its customers one of the fastest residential online experiences available with the launch of a new 300 Mbps broadband service throughout its full Florida service area. The new ultra-fast speed tier, offering download speeds of up to 300 Mbps and upload speeds of up to 15 Mbps, will be available to all residential customers in Tampa Bay and the Central Florida region beginning later this month.

»brighthouse.com/about/ab ··· =article

I do wish though that they would at least double the uplink speed just as they doubled the downlink. So odd. I wonder what this tier will cost....

mixdup
join:2003-06-28
Alpharetta, GA

6 recommendations

mixdup

Wow, severely disappointed in that upload speed. I bet the price will be double, too.

Probably won't be getting it when it makes it to Birmingham if the upload doesn't improve.
wbrightfl
join:2004-07-15
Fort Lauderdale, FL

5 recommendations

wbrightfl to mbender71

to mbender71
Yes the upload speed is a disappointment. I don't feel 15 Mbps qualifies to be called Ultra-fast.
RickM
join:2010-10-06
Winter Springs, FL

RickM to mbender71

to mbender71
can't wait for pricing, will jump on it if it is $25/ month or less price difference

mixdup
Alpharetta, GA

5 recommendations

mixdup

said by RickM:

can't wait for pricing, will jump on it if it is $25/ month or less price difference

I'll eat my hat if it's only $25 more.

that upload speed makes it almost unusable. You're going to saturate most of that with TCP overhead when downloading at 300mbps.

mbender71
Orlando, FL

5 recommendations

mbender71

I just upgraded to 150/10 since the uplink was a doubling of my previous 75/5. I don't mind paying but the continuing divide in the uplink/downlink speeds (wildly asymmetrical) is not giving me the warm fuzzies. Perhaps BrightHouse will announce another tier for those that are more interested doubling (or more) of their uplink rather than their downlink speed. There must be a reason for this wide spec division other than "customers haven't wanted more uplink speed." Honestly, how many HD video streams does BrightHouse think a household needs to simultaneously stream? I didn't think the average household had *that* many kids!

mixdup
Alpharetta, GA

4 recommendations

mixdup

said by mbender71:

There must be a reason for this wide spec division other than "customers haven't wanted more uplink speed."

What I'm worried about is that people will not buy this package, because of the poor upload speed, but then BHN will use that as an excuse to stop increasing speeds completely.

"well, we offer a 300mbps tier but hardly anyone buys it!"
ksmith9506
join:2006-07-07
Orlando, FL

1 edit

1 recommendation

ksmith9506 to mbender71

to mbender71
That upload. Bare minimum it should be 20 for the 15 dollars a month more (speculation) over 150 they will probably charge. Not worth it at all for the just the upload.

mixdup
Alpharetta, GA

4 recommendations

mixdup to mbender71

to mbender71
It's funny, Gary wanted us to give them examples of why we wanted increased upstream. The press release lists several things that could benefit greatly from more upstream

Telecommuters will appreciate faster access to online cloud storage; students will benefit from expanded digital learning opportunities while parents and teachers benefit from improved communications through video conferencing; and residents can enjoy peace of mind with the ability to connect and communicate remotely with their physicians via the Internet.
utopia
join:2013-04-17
Hernando, FL

1 edit

5 recommendations

utopia to mbender71

to mbender71
15? Passing on principle. This will be the first tier upgrade I've declined in my life... Who is this person I'm becoming. I'm already maxing 10mbps overhead on the current ~170 mb downstream... 15 is not enough. In all honesty, I find this a bit insulting this day and age.

300mbps is nice, though.

tlg
Premium Member
join:2001-08-23
Melbourne, FL

3 recommendations

tlg

Premium Member

said by utopia:

15? Passing on principle. This will be the first tier upgrade I've declined in my life...

Same here. I don't care about the download as most services come no where close to filling it. Netflix 1080P video takes just a small portion of the 150. I was really hoping for upload speed as I have 1TB of OneDrive storage, 1TB of Google storage, and 1TB of dropbox storage. Dropbox is for service manuals and tech docs, One Drive is for documents and files I share with clients, Google drive is for photos & Video.

The UL / DL ratio gets wider as more and more people are creating large video and photo (RAW) content, and the very reasons they state in the PR as to why people may need the new tier, is exactly the same reasons people need more upload speed.
Michael_D
join:2013-02-17
Indianapolis, IN

4 recommendations

Michael_D to utopia

to utopia
said by utopia:

15? Passing on principle. This will be the first tier upgrade I've declined in my life.

Same here. Ridiculous and insulting to us as customers.

OpTiC
Premium Member
join:2014-03-08
West Covina, CA

OpTiC to mbender71

Premium Member

to mbender71
Seriously 15 up you can atleast do 20 up like TWC.
fabianvs8
join:2009-09-30
Orlando, FL

fabianvs8 to mbender71

to mbender71
will the SBG6580 support 300mbps?
DuneT
Premium Member
join:2004-12-11
USA

1 edit

1 recommendation

DuneT to Michael_D

Premium Member

to Michael_D
said by Michael_D:

said by utopia:

15? Passing on principle. This will be the first tier upgrade I've declined in my life.

Same here. Ridiculous and insulting to us as customers.

its a damn slap in the face... specially for people who went out to buy a new modem... so that their modem would handle the new speeds and now they have to cough out more money for this new tier service and....

so much for brighthouse saying they're for the customer and not for profit haha.. so funking funny...
I wish Timewarner wasn't replaced by Brighthouse in my town... I mean i know that the same people would be there but the service would be alot better when it comes to speed up grades
and as I said in my other post timewarner gives 300 Mbps free updrage and brighthouse thinks that their 150Mbps upgrade is a nice UN-complainable free upgrade ... what a joke.... and to only have a new tier service with an upload speed of only 5 Mbps is the worst .
ziptaco
join:2014-01-25

ziptaco to mixdup

to mixdup
Disappointed? Why? They are the provider. They know what you need, not you. /endsarcasm

bobjohnson
Premium Member
join:2007-02-03
Spartanburg, SC

bobjohnson to utopia

Premium Member

to utopia
I'm in Charter territory for another few months... You guys should try them out for a month, you'll appreciate BH a lot more. Anyway, I think bright house is being smart by not giving so much upload seeing how big the nodes are and the limitations of docsis. It makes more sense from a business perspective to set the upload at 15 and everyone get 15 instead of doing as the others are, giving everyone 20-25 and when they get 15 at night and on weekends getting a bunch of calls about it.

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium Member
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL

John97 to utopia

Premium Member

to utopia
said by utopia:

15? Passing on principle. This will be the first tier upgrade I've declined in my life... Who is this person I'm becoming. I'm already maxing 10mbps overhead on the current ~170 mb downstream... 15 is not enough. In all honesty, I find this a bit insulting this day and age.

300mbps is nice, though.

Same here. I've got no need for more than I have now without a meaningful increase in upload.
idniki3
join:2014-10-28

idniki3 to mbender71

to mbender71
I normally don't post very much but under the circumstance I feel that it is warranted. Before we go off on Bright House maybe we should give BHNtechXpert the chance to weigh in before we all go crazy. Maybe this is a stepping stone to something better down the line. I remember that BHNtechXpert mentioned about REAL WORLD Conditions. Maybe Bright House doesn't want to over commit to something that hasn't been fully tested in a real life situation. I know you want to compare to TWC and how they offered the free upgrade. Well remember Bright House didn't need to give us anything. So the way I see it is I'm thankful for the free upgrade to 150, and I will take a wait and see stance to see what Bright House does in the future. Remember that you need to crawl before you can walk, and walk before you can run
ziptaco

ziptaco to John97

to John97
said by John97:

Same here. I've got no need for more than I have now without a meaningful increase in upload.

I think the upgrade in upload was in part done so that people can get the now famous line "But, you are not subscribed to our highest tier." Therefore, you can't complaint about upload speed. Check all the "upload speed" related threads and you will see the same line over and over. You can't complaint about speeds because well you are not paying for the high tier, and just as often the "I know what you need, not you." response just hide the fact that they are lacking.
rmcbride
join:2014-06-13
Livonia, MI

1 edit

rmcbride to bobjohnson

to bobjohnson
I have Charter at the cottage in East Tawas Michigan and get 60/5 for about the same price as my BHN 35/2.
And they don't charge me $1.00 to mail me a paper bill!
ziptaco

ziptaco to idniki3

to idniki3
said by idniki3:

I normally don't post very much but under the circumstance I feel that it is warranted. Before we go off on Bright House maybe we should give BHNtechXpert the chance to weigh in before we all go crazy. Maybe this is a stepping stone to something better down the line. I remember that BHNtechXpert mentioned about REAL WORLD Conditions. Maybe Bright House doesn't want to over commit to something that hasn't been fully tested in a real life situation. I know you want to compare to TWC and how they offered the free upgrade to 150. Well remember Bright House didn't need to give us anything. So the way I see it is I'm thankful for the free upgrade, and I will take a wait and see stance to see what Bright House does in the future. Remember that you need to crawl before you can walk, and walk before you can run

Wow. This reply wins.
idniki3
join:2014-10-28

idniki3

ziptaco I'm not trying to win. I'm just stating my opinion. Nothing personal here. I understand people are upset and feel that there should be more upload speed. I just feel before we jump on the burn the Bright House bandwagon we should let BHNtechXpert weigh in.

bobjohnson
Premium Member
Spartanburg, SC

bobjohnson to rmcbride

Premium Member

to rmcbride
I had Charter in Greenville, SC and I had 60/4 until my internet went down about 7 times in a month so I switched to Uverse 24/3 and it works so I pay more...
Michael_D
join:2013-02-17
Indianapolis, IN

2 recommendations

Michael_D to idniki3

to idniki3
said by idniki3:

I just feel before we jump on the burn the Bright House bandwagon we should let BHNtechXpert weigh in.

BHN has already spoken, through its press release. Customers are perfectly reasonable to react accordingly (i.e., upset) especially when competitors (TWC) are offering 300/20 at half the price of BHN's 150/10.
ziptaco

ziptaco to idniki3

to idniki3
said by idniki3:

ziptaco I'm not trying to win. I'm just stating my opinion. Nothing personal here. I understand people are upset and feel that there should be more upload speed. I just feel before we jump on the burn the Bright House bandwagon we should let BHNtechXpert weigh in.

And that will change what fact? "Real world conditions"? Do you even know why such language is used? That's language for the technically challenged and not for the technically inclined. I do not think people are upset. People are mostly disappointed simply because they had expectations. They had expectations because well they thought their provider will perhaps be up to par this time. So called experts can weigh in all they want but that will not change the sentiment people have. Actually it will most likely upset people. The worst any business can do, aside for what someone here does already, is to come up with excuses for anything they can fulfill. Especially, when it comes in the form telling people they are the low percentage, and they don't go by what you they might want. While a reality, is funny this business uses it to rub it on peoples faces here all the time.

bobjohnson
Premium Member
Spartanburg, SC

bobjohnson to Michael_D

Premium Member

to Michael_D
Really bright house's only real competition is Verizon... If were comparing other cable companies then yeah, TWC has Maxx in 2 markets and Comcast has a gigantic mess of randomly upgraded markets...

PacketHauler
Premium Member
join:2014-04-11
Rockledge, FL

PacketHauler to mbender71

Premium Member

to mbender71
I guess I'm glad I just activated my new SB6183 modem tonight...

gigahurtz
Premium Member
join:2001-10-20
USA

gigahurtz to mbender71

Premium Member

to mbender71
I don't subscribe to the higher tiers but I have to say this is disappointing. Only 15 Mbps upstream and I'm sure the price will be at least another $15-20 a month from 150. That would be at around ~$120/mo for 300/15 service, which is nearly TWICE the amount that Time Warner Cable is offering for 300/20 service. That is disappointing to say the least.

mbender71
Orlando, FL

1 recommendation

mbender71

Click for full size
Reflecting on the current downlink/uplink speeds, there is a constant pattern of at *least* doubling the uplink speed as the downlink speed increases. Again, I'm baffled at how BrightHouse intends to market (justify) only 15Mbps uplink instead of at least 20Mbps. Let's hope that things change before the rollout since I will not upgrade until it is at least 20Mbps (and my guess is neither will a lot of tech-savvy people).