uniqs

Rickkins
join:2004-04-05
Mtl, Canada

Rickkins to Gone

to Gone

Re: Zazeen Cable TV

said by Gone:

Their advertisement is fully compliant with the Canadian Code of Advertising Standards, as they aren't making an inaccurate or misleading claim. Their service functions identical to cable TV.

No sir. Not even close. Cable tv is a stand alone product, period. Iptv, is not. Apples and oranges. Night and day.

I'm not knocking the service itself, which I have absolutely no knowledge of. As far as I know, the service itself is perfectly fine.

But it is not, in any way shape or form, "Cable Tv".
69230940 (banned)
join:2014-12-10

1 recommendation

69230940 (banned)

Guess you've never had a friend say "Ya, watched that on cable" even though they have FibeTV?

It's not about the technical definition but about public perception.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to Rickkins

Premium Member

to Rickkins
Cable TV is enough of a generic term that can be used to describe any subscription television service. There was once a time where Look TV (man that brings back memories!) described their service as "Wireless Cable TV" for that exact reason. Everyone knows what cable TV means to them. Contrast this with IPTV, where most people haven't got the slightest clue.

Hell, cable is a a generic enough term that "cable" and "basic cable" is used to describe certain television channels, despite being delivered via services beyond just CATV.

Nitra
join:2011-09-15
Montreal

Nitra

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ca ··· levision

Yes, it fits "Cable TV"

Rickkins
Mtl, Canada

Rickkins

Sorry guys, I won't be convinced. And I'd be damn well cheesed to find out the cable tv I called to order was, in fact, iptv.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

1 recommendation

Gone

Premium Member

said by Rickkins:

Sorry guys, I won't be convinced.

That's okay. There's people who still aren't convinced the moon landing was real or that the Earth is round, too.
said by Rickkins:

And I'd be damn well cheesed to find out the cable tv I called to order was, in fact, iptv.

The vast majority of people don't even know what a coax cable is. To those people, all they care about is turning on their TV and watching what they want.

Rickkins
Mtl, Canada

Rickkins

said by Gone:

said by Rickkins:

Sorry guys, I won't be convinced.

That's okay. There's people who still aren't convinced the moon landing was real or that the Earth is round, too.

Which one are you...??

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

1 recommendation

Gone

Premium Member

said by Rickkins:

Which one are you...??

Neither. But I'm not the one who isn't convinced of something that to most people requires no convincing.
Anzio
join:2008-11-22

Anzio to Gone

to Gone
said by Gone:

the Earth is round

Blasphemy!

Seriously though, I see nothing wrong with calling it Cable TV. Certainly wouldn't be wise to publicly display it at IPTV. If my mother saw an ad for IPTV, she wouldn't even take a second glance or store it in her mind; however, if she saw Cable TV for $19.95- she'd jump on it. She probably represents a lot of Canadians.

Rickkins
Mtl, Canada

Rickkins to Gone

to Gone
said by Gone:

said by Rickkins:

Which one are you...??

Neither. But I'm not the one who isn't convinced of something that to most people requires no convincing.

I suspect that you're presuming to speak for "most people", which you most certainly do not.

And "most people don't know what a coax cable is".....???

Seriously...??? You may be hanging around with the wrong people. I don't know anybody who doesn't know what a coax cable is, except for young children....
Rickkins

Rickkins to Anzio

to Anzio
said by Anzio:

said by Gone:

the Earth is round

Blasphemy!

Seriously though, I see nothing wrong with calling it Cable TV. Certainly wouldn't be wise to publicly display it at IPTV. If my mother saw an ad for IPTV, she wouldn't even take a second glance or store it in her mind; however, if she saw Cable TV for $19.95- she'd jump on it. She probably represents a lot of Canadians.

Oh you're probably right about that. But how happy will mum be when she finds out that it is not "cable tv" as she would remember it, and that she also has to subscribe to their internet service to even get this...??

I know my mother would have been looking for someone's butt to kick.
Anzio
join:2008-11-22

Anzio

That's an excellent point. I don't think that's the same argument as what they call the service in the advertisement. Most "real" cable providers would have similar surprises (be it an increased price without a bundle, or something else).

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

1 recommendation

Gone to Rickkins

Premium Member

to Rickkins
said by Rickkins:

I suspect that you're presuming to speak for "most people", which you most certainly do not.

If we use this discussion here as a snapshot of the wider world, I'd say that you are firmly placed in the minority seeing as that you are the only person here is takes issue with their use of the phrase. So in this instance, I feel pretty comfortable and confident with such a presumption.

And yes, seriously, most people don't know or give two shits about anything we're discussing here. Just because you, I and other people may have a technical background or an interest in technology does not mean that most people who aren't posting here have the same knowledge. To them, they turn on the TV and it shows a picture. That's all they care to know about.

Rickkins
Mtl, Canada

Rickkins

I'll say it again, you give "most people" far too little credit, but then that often happens when you take it upon yourself to presume that you can speak for "most people".

Perhaps it may be true about most people YOU know. It is certainly not true about most people that I know.
Rickkins

Rickkins to Gone

to Gone
Using your logic, check out my new Cadillac...
»motoburg.com/images/lada ··· a-04.jpg

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

1 recommendation

Gone to Rickkins

Premium Member

to Rickkins
said by Rickkins:

Perhaps it may be true about most people YOU know. It is certainly not true about most people that I know.

If that's the case then I suggest that you expand your social circle beyond people who only share the same common interests as you. And having actually worked in the industry for more years than I wish to count, I am pretty confident in my opinions being the reality of the world we live in when it comes to technology and an understanding of how these things work.

We are not the average cross-section of the world we live in. If you operate on the assumption that we are, you must be very frustrated and disappointed.
Gone

Gone to Rickkins

Premium Member

to Rickkins
said by Rickkins:

Using your logic, check out my new Cadillac...
»motoburg.com/images/lada ··· a-04.jpg

I'm glad you used Cadillac as an example, because it is a generic term used to describe things well beyond that of cars - as in, it describes the best of the best, regardless of the type of object. To you, that may be the best you could ever achieve in life and to you it is your own personal Cadillac.

Just like how "Cable TV" is used to describe more than just television delivered over a CATV network. Thank you for proving my point!
Expand your moderator at work

Rickkins
Mtl, Canada

Rickkins to HiVolt

to HiVolt

Re: Zazeen Cable TV

At the end of the day, when all is said and done, the bottom line is really very simple.

Is it:

A) Cable TV

or

B) IPTV

Pick one answer, and one answer only.

The answer is, of course, "B) IPTV" ergo, it is not, in fact, cable tv.

Not really rocket science.

Not that I really care, mind you, but I tend to respond when challenged to....

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

When someone tells you that their blender is a Cadillac, it doesn't mean that it is actually a car. It means it is a top of the line blender. And when your kid wants Jello but you whip out a box of Compliments brand Gelatin Desert, you're still going to tell your kid they're getting Jello and that's exactly what they'll think they're getting.

Just the same, when Zazeen calls themselves Cable TV they aren't saying that they are CATV (the technical term), they are saying they are a subscription TV service used in the generic sense the same way we describe "cable channels" even though they are delivered over more than just CATV.

Context is everything. And in this case the context makes perfect sense, and really isn't that hard for anyone to understand - except for you.

Rickkins
Mtl, Canada

Rickkins

I guess this latest nonsense was easier than answering the above question. Fair enough, I've seen all I need to see. As you seem unable, or unwilling to answer the question, I'll just consider the matter closed.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

There is no question to answer. The context is completely different. You said something in one of your earliest posts about Apples and Oranges. What you're attempting to do now is exactly that.

Since you posted earlier about your assumptions about everyone being technically inclined, do you remember back in the day when people said they had an IBM? Even though their computer had Compaq, Dell or whatever else on the front of it? Or when people said they were using MSDOS even though they had IBM PC-DOS on their machine? I do. I guess I'm getting old. Did you throw the same hissy in those situations as you are now?
bt
join:2009-02-26
canada

1 recommendation

bt to Rickkins

to Rickkins
I don't remember the last time I saw someone so unwilling to understand the concept of "common slang usage".

Do you go on rants about the figurative use of the word "literally" too?

dmbcanada
join:2009-06-01
London, ON
Asus RT-AC66U B1
TP-Link TC-7650

dmbcanada to HiVolt

to HiVolt

Rickkins
Mtl, Canada

Rickkins to bt

to bt
said by bt:

I don't remember the last time I saw someone so unwilling to understand the concept of "common slang usage".

Do you go on rants about the figurative use of the word "literally" too?

Oh, I literally do...

That said, you may have hit on my issue. When people are merely using it in conversation, who cares.

HOWEVER, when a company is using it to sell a service, it is another thing all together. At best, it is misleading advertising.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

So when someone advertises spam blocking services, are they engaging in misleading advertising as well?

69230940 (banned)
join:2014-12-10

1 edit

1 recommendation

69230940 (banned) to Rickkins

to Rickkins
FYI:
quote:
Full Definition of CABLE TELEVISION
: a system of television reception in which signals from distant stations are picked up by a master antenna and sent by cable to the individual receivers of paying subscribers also called also cable TV
I won't quote it, and it is a little dated but basically says that any medium that delivers channels to television is considered cable tv:

»www.britannica.com/EBche ··· levision

I would say Zazeen is right on the money....
markie58
join:2009-04-24
Chateauguay, QC

3 recommendations

markie58

Only on DLSR can a single inoffensif word such as cable get more response than the word shit. Get a frigging life people.
forcefed
join:2015-02-26

forcefed to 69230940

to 69230940
said by 69230940:

FYI:

quote:
Full Definition of CABLE TELEVISION
: a system of television reception in which signals from distant stations are picked up by a master antenna and sent by cable to the individual receivers of paying subscribers also called also cable TV
I won't quote it, and it is a little dated but basically says that any medium that delivers channels to television is considered cable tv:

»www.britannica.com/EBche ··· levision

I would say Zazeen is right on the money....

Its misleading because you need another service to get tv, acanac might as well run advertisements with "Home Phone for $0.00" but again you need another service to get that. They can add as many asterisks as they like to cover their ass but none of these services are available without their internet service. Once they get to this page »zazeen.com/iptv-packages ··· -on.html and notice its $109 a month for internet and tv they'll have a heart attack, i thought it was only 19.95...