spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Joe D
@verizon.net

Joe D

Anon

SAP language for MLS On UniMas

So MLS season starts tonight with first match on UniMas. They have been advertising "English feed via SAP" for months. MLS website lists how to activate for most cable providers. For FIOS, have to go to settings, language, audi and select Spanish to actually get English since that's secondary.

Anyway, of course it does not work on my Quantum box.

Can anyone see if it works for you? It's channel 1524, ch 1539 or also in your locals, for me in Boston, it's 521.

A Nonymous
@verizon.net

A Nonymous

Anon

Not working on FiOS here in NYC. Tried SD, HD and uni deportes. No bueno.

marylander
@verizon.net

marylander to Joe D

Anon

to Joe D
No luck here in Baltimore MD either

SgtOtto
@frontiernet.net

SgtOtto to Joe D

Anon

to Joe D
It took 3 different calls to finally get an answer as to why I had to watch the game in Spanish. The channel provider (Unimas) is not transmitting in English. No joy in Washington state.

je0000
@t-mobile.com

je0000 to Joe D

Anon

to Joe D
Didn't work for me. Fios, tampa Fl.

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
join:2001-12-28
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt to A Nonymous

Premium Member

to A Nonymous
At least you guys get Unimas in HD. Yet another shortcoming for the VHO8 subscriber.
nlk10010
join:2007-06-27
Great Neck, NY

nlk10010 to SgtOtto

to SgtOtto
said by SgtOtto :

It took 3 different calls to finally get an answer as to why I had to watch the game in Spanish. The channel provider (Unimas) is not transmitting in English. No joy in Washington state.

It's possible I'm not understanding you, but Unimas is broadcasting a 2nd audio channel in English. They previewed it briefly during the telecast and kept flashing a notice on the screen. It's just that FIOS boxes aren't capturing it. Again, I may have misunderstood your post or you got the usual ignorant answer from a CSR who hasn't got a clue.
dfwguy
join:2013-10-24

dfwguy to Joe D

to Joe D
The Univision Deportes channels (1524/1539) do not have a second audio track, just the primary Spanish one, at least on FiOS at this moment. Local UniMas affiliates may or may not have secondary tracks, it depends on who runs the station in your local area and how they have their equipment configured. Here in Dallas, the UniMas station is owned and operated by Univision and has a secondary track (didn't catch the MLS game so I don't know if it was in English). The NYC and LA stations are also O&Os and should presumably have a second track. The affiliates in Boston, DC/Baltimore, and Tampa are run by Entravision, and it wouldn't surprise me if they don't.
nlk10010
Great Neck, NY

nlk10010

I was talking about the NY UniMas (517). The FIOS equipment isn't capturing any second audio channel, changing Audio in Menu->Settings to "English preferred" does nothing. So we're left to infer that either the O&O here doesn't broadcast it (as you point out, unlikely) or FIOS simply doesn't bother implementing SAP (more likely).
dfwguy

dfwguy

Or option 3, it's not flagged as English. The Dallas station has the primary track flagged as Spanish, but no language specified for the secondary because it seems to be a copy of the main Spanish track most of the time. I don't remember if the Verizon box has an option to switch tracks that isn't based on language (Options button maybe?), but that's what you should use if it exists. If you want to see if the language-based setting works right, check a channel like FX or Disney that has proper flagging and actually broadcasts a lot of stuff with multiple languages.
nlk10010
Great Neck, NY

2 edits

nlk10010

In which case we can conclude UniMas O&O, who would presumably be responsible for the flagging, doesn't broadcast SAP (or they broadcast something that doesn't meet a "standard" which means it won't be decoded). If a tree falls in a forest and no one's there to hear it, does it make a sound?

Edit: It apparently does, DisneyHD seems to work. Thus, wonderful, it looks like UniMas screwed up. Did ANYONE receive SAP?
dfwguy

dfwguy

No, it just means that they have no language specified for an audio track that doesn't have a consistent language. If it's Spanish 95% of the time, but has English audio for a couple hours a week during MLS matches, then what do you suggest they mark it as? It's not something that can be switched easily. Marking it as Spanish would be wrong, and might cause decoding equipment to incorrectly select it instead of the primary track. Marking it as English is wrong because it's not English most of the time.

Decoding equipment should be able to select an audio track independent of language. Personally, I use Windows Media Center with an HDHomeRun Prime CableCard tuner. When I tune the UniMas station and press the Audio button on the remote, I get a choice of "Spanish" or "Language 2", and Language 2 should have the English audio (will have to check on Friday). On a channel like BeIN Sports, which has both English and Spanish on their broadcasts, but doesn't signal the languages, it shows Language 1 and Language 2. Like I said, there should be some way on the Verizon box to select the audio track independent of the preferred language. From when I had a Verizon box, I seem to remember accessing it by pressing the Options button on the remote. I used to use it on Fox all the time, because Fox often had a second track without announcers on their sports broadcasts.
nlk10010
Great Neck, NY

nlk10010

My statement is simple. It is that when a station advertises that it offers English on a separate audio channel, then it provide that service in a manner that allows a large chunk of the intended audience to access it. So far (and there may be more) neither FIOS nor CV subscribers are able to do that. I don't care if it's UniMas' fault or Verizon's, I'm assuming the former because the track isn't marked suitably.

What do I suggest they mark that second track? Why English, of course. Where is it stated that "English" must mean the English language 100% of the time? It can simply mean the channel that is used for English when it is offered. Unless you're saying that when there is no English the track carries nothing (that would be a problem).
dfwguy

dfwguy

I'm still not convinced there's a problem with anything other than the instructions for how to activate it, which should indeed be fixed. Have you actually tried going into the Options and switching the track there, instead of trying to make the language settings work?
nlk10010
Great Neck, NY

nlk10010

Well, to be fair, I don't remember whether I did that during the broadcast. You may be right, but if you try Options you get just one choice, labeled essentially the same as the one in Menu->Settings. I did use both avenues to successfully switch languages again today, on TLC, which does NOT always have SAP (some programs do, some don't). Frankly, I would be surprised if Menu->Settings->Audio Language and Options->Audio Language were different, but I've been surprised before. Thanks for your offers of help, I'll try again on Friday (as I say, this is also an issue with CV, from what I've heard, and I don't know what their boxes have or don't have).

Joe D
@verizon.net

Joe D

Anon

Well I listen to the Soccer Morning pod-cast every day and today's show was a recap of the weekend and they mentioned that there was an issue with the English feed on the Uni Mas broadcast not working. So appears it was a network issue, not local affiliate issue, nor FIOS issue. When they advertised the English broadcast and had the guys speaking in English that was not a "switch over", that was just them talking in English on the same main language feed.

According to various online sources (search Watch MLS on UniMAS in English) with FIOS -
"English Preferred" is the normal main audio feed on every network, "Spanish Preferred" would actually be the SAP secondary channel, so that for the Uni Mas games you would have to actually select Spanish to hear English...kind of contradictory. Also, English feed would not start until kickoff, so pregame is in Spanish. Anyway, let's hope it's fixed for week 2!
Joe D

Joe D

Anon

By the way, try changing to "Spanish preferred" for a prime time network show and you will see it's basically the SAP...because I still had it on Spanish for the game Friday night (to get English)...a regular show that was recorded that night picked up "SAP" secondary audio which was that descriptive video service audio for the vision impaired. It was a voice over describing the scene when actors were not talking. So SAP does work on FIOS.
Joe D

Joe D

Anon

So UniMas fixed issue for week 2 as game is in English tonight, without having to change any SAP settings since English is the default option.

ism
@verizon.net

ism

Anon

Really? I'm on Univision and having no luck listening in English (Fios, NY).
nlk10010
Great Neck, NY

nlk10010

If you look on mlssoccer.com you'll see that MLS has finally copped to the SAP problems. They now admit that for some services (FIOS among them) SAP does NOT work and you need to listen on the web if you want English commentary. They say they are going to fix it but who knows? For FIOS you will eventually need to select "English" for preferred audio language (you can check this with a channel that provides a proper SAP) but right now both selections (English and Spanish) provide Spanish on both 517 and 1539.
chitchatjf
join:2008-07-13
Lawrence, MA

chitchatjf to Joe D

to Joe D
In Boston Unimas SD (21) had Spanish and center cut while Unimas HD (521) had English
gunn55
join:2015-03-15

gunn55 to Joe D

to Joe D
Ok week two OTA in english worked fine in the NYC area, my Cablevision box and my tivo box with cable card did not work nor did it work in week one. Cant be 100% sure if OTA worked in week one but i think i did check it and it did not work (maybe my error in using it). My cousin has Fios also in the NYC area and his did not work either in week two so lets hope they resolve this issue in week three as we all know this is new for UniMas to broadcast in english for soccer on Friday nights.

Joe D
@verizon.net

Joe D to chitchatjf

Anon

to chitchatjf
said by chitchatjf:

In Boston Unimas SD (21) had Spanish and center cut while Unimas HD (521) had English

Oh so that's why I got English! Wonder if that's their work around for now?
dfwguy

dfwguy to Joe D

to Joe D
FWIW, the English track is present and working for the Philadelphia Union-FC Dallas match that just started (postponed from yesterday) on 1524 (SD)/1539 (HD). No language is flagged on either track so language-based selection probably won't work. Not being broadcast on UniMas.

bohratom
My Jersey Giants finally winning again..
join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ

bohratom to Joe D

to Joe D
Found a site that mentions UNIMAS is providing English for MLS games but not yet for FIOS.

»www.philadelphiaunion.co ··· work-sap

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
join:2001-12-28
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

Yesterday's match may have been the worst home match in my 6 years of being a season ticket holder. It was ugly in any language.
dfwguy

dfwguy

Looked pretty good from here, at least as far as MLS matches go.
blue_trooper
join:2007-04-17
Exton, PA

blue_trooper to SeattleMatt

to SeattleMatt
said by SeattleMatt:

Yesterday's match may have been the worst home match in my 6 years of being a season ticket holder. It was ugly in any language.

I think Wenger and LeToux have lost the plot. With Chaco out nobody seems to be able to create anything. Maybe Pfeffer could have if he'd kept his elbows in. With his likely suspension the lineup should be pretty interesting the next couple of weeks.

At least the weather was good. There was no way I was going to go sit in that mess on Friday night.

dampfire
@verizon.net

dampfire to Joe D

Anon

to Joe D
Yeah, not working here either in Pittsburgh, Quantum TV DVR....
nlk10010
Great Neck, NY

nlk10010

What's funny is that I THOUGHT SAP might start working on FIOS because MLS' SAP page was changed and no longer indicates that SAP isn't available on Verizon. Unfortunately, MLS is clueless when it comes to this, still no SAP on FIOS on either 517 or 1539 (this is in VHO5).