spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Mark9007
@teksavvy.com

Mark9007

Anon

[DSL] Sync, no Surf, AGAIN

Every few months this happens. NOTHING has changed at my house but I get rapidly diminishing speed, ending in Full sync but no surf.
TS will say (and have said this time) that here is no problem they can see, even when testing from their end while I have sync-no-surf.
Historically, I will have to jump through a million hoops with tech support for several days or maybe even weeks, and this will end for no reason that they can identify.
WHile overall I like techsavvy, it's gotten to the point where they're just not worth the trouble. I can't devote a full week to troubleshooting, once every few months.
Anyone got an Idea? If this can't be resolved in short order I'm done with TS.
A good price means nothing if the product doesn't work -- and it doesn't.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

What modem do you have?

TSI Keith
Premium Member
join:2012-07-09

TSI Keith to Mark9007

Premium Member

to Mark9007
Hello Mark,

When you have a moment if you could please post your account info in the »/fo ··· avdirect forum I would love to look into this for you and see what we can do to help out.

Thank you,
Keith
JMJimmy
join:2008-07-23

JMJimmy to Mark9007

to Mark9007
said by Mark9007 :

Every few months this happens. NOTHING has changed at my house but I get rapidly diminishing speed, ending in Full sync but no surf.
TS will say (and have said this time) that here is no problem they can see, even when testing from their end while I have sync-no-surf.
Historically, I will have to jump through a million hoops with tech support for several days or maybe even weeks, and this will end for no reason that they can identify.
WHile overall I like techsavvy, it's gotten to the point where they're just not worth the trouble. I can't devote a full week to troubleshooting, once every few months.
Anyone got an Idea? If this can't be resolved in short order I'm done with TS.
A good price means nothing if the product doesn't work -- and it doesn't.

Sync-no-surf has nothing to do with TSI, it has to do with the OSLAM that Bhell installed, so no matter what DSL provider you are with you will experience SNS unless you have a SmartRG modem.

kingb71
join:2000-10-09
Mississauga, ON

kingb71

so if I replace my speedtouch w/ a SmartRG modem this will go away?
Garep
join:2015-01-08

Garep

»[DSL] SmartRG modems are now available.

Copied from Guspaz:

The SmartRG works at full speed in bridged mode, while the Sagemcom maxes out around 33 Mbps
- The SmartRG does not suffer from the sync-no-surf issue, while the Sagemcom still does
- The SmartRG works on both 7330s and stingers (like the Sagemcom does)
- The SmartRG is reported to generally produce better line stats
- The SmartRG is reported to generally be more reliable
- The SmartRG does not disable features or hide line stats like the Sagemcom
- The SmartRG is much smaller than the Sagemcom

Mark9007
@teksavvy.com

Mark9007

Anon

I currently have sync no surf on a smart RG, so it would seem to me that changing to one is unlikely to help anyone.
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError to kingb71

to kingb71
said by kingb71:

SpeedTouch? 516v6?

The SmartRG is mainly for VDSL2 profiles. There are tons of much cheaper modems available for ADSL1/ADSL2+.

AFAIK, the known SnS issues are only for VDSL2 profiles.

Mark9007
@teksavvy.com

1 edit

Mark9007 to TSI Keith

Anon

to TSI Keith
Mod note CID removed and passed along to TSI Keith See Profile
fourboxers
JMJimmy

JMJimmy to kingb71

to kingb71
said by kingb71:

I wasn't aware of a Speedtouch VDSL modem (or SNS affecting ADSL) but I can speak from experience - replacing my Sagemcom with a SmartRG fixed the SNS issue immediately. The SmartRG does have a few bugs in the early firmware but most of the issues are resolved in the latest update. The only, unconfirmed, drawback to the SmartRG is that it may not sync in extreme attenuation circumstances - this is only reported by vMedia and only in cases where you are at the edge of VDSL range anyway. All in all, SmartRG has been one of the best modems I've owned.
JMJimmy

JMJimmy to Mark9007

to Mark9007
said by Mark9007 :

I currently have sync no surf on a smart RG, so it would seem to me that changing to one is unlikely to help anyone.

If you're experiencing SNS on a SmartRG it means your firmware is out of date. I read somewhere here on DSLR that early firmware would drop out of "Stinger mode" for some reason. I'm not clear on the exact details but updating to 2.5.0.2 firmware that resolves the issue. It could also be that you're not experiencing SNS at all but instead the "diminishing returns" bug which has been fixed but not officially released by TSI (see »[DSL] Latest Firmware? ) - you can get that firmware (2.5.0.6) from Start and use the TSI config file.

kingb71
join:2000-10-09
Mississauga, ON

kingb71 to JMJimmy

to JMJimmy
I'm using a speedtouch on the 15/1 profile (think that's what I'm on) whatever that is

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom to Mark9007

Premium Member

to Mark9007
said by Mark9007 :

I currently have sync no surf on a smart RG,

It depends on what you mean by sync no surf When people talk about that bug, they are talking about something very specific, and you don't have that.

I assume the DSL light goes solid on your modem? Then go to Advanced Setup, then Device Info -> Statistics -> xDSL. What does it say on the top line, "Mode:"?

What I'm getting at is, I suspect you have a VDSL config file on your modem, but your line has been configured by Bell as ADSL.
Teddy Boom

Teddy Boom to kingb71

Premium Member

to kingb71
said by kingb71:

Which "this"? You haven't described anything about the symptoms of your problem..

For 15/1 service, there are MANY modem choices. I prefer the Bell 2wire, but it is definitely debatable. The SmartRG is fine, but no reason to spend that kind of money. More here:
»[DSL] Best Modem for DSL Services

I hesitate to derail the OP's thread, but.. what exactly is happening on your line? Does the DSL light stay solidly on 24/7 except when you reboot the device?

Mark9007
@teksavvy.com

Mark9007

Anon

Yes. DSL stays solidly on, computer indicates I have internet access, but I have none. It will comeback on its own eventually -- randomly -- minutes or hours.
Rebooting sometimes gets reconnection and sync with surf, but most often will simply not sync for a time, again randomly -- minutes or hours. ried lots of modems -- same results with all.

TSI Keith
Premium Member
join:2012-07-09

1 edit

TSI Keith

Premium Member

I see you have a ticket opened already for this issue. If the issue persists after this ticket is closed could you please click here and open a request selecting DSLr from the "SUBMIT A REQUEST" drop down.

Feel free to put "ATTN Keith" in the subject line when doing so.

Thank you,
Keith

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom to Mark9007

Premium Member

to Mark9007
said by Mark9007 :

DSL stays solidly on, computer indicates I have internet access,

Hmm... That is consistent with the Sagemcom sync-no-surf bug, but.. Are you in routed mode or bridge mode?

I don't really trust what the computer says. If it is Windows, launch a command prompt and do a continuous ping of google.ca:
Click the Start Menu or go to Start Screen, type CMD on the keyboard, hit enter. That will bring up a black command prompt window. Type "ping -t 8.8.8.8" and leave it running. Next time you get a dropped connection, take a look, and you'll probably see "request timed out" or whatever, indicating that the ping is failing.

If the ping fails, but DSL light stays solid, then maybe your PPPoE session has been lost? That's pretty unusual..
said by Mark9007 :

but most often will simply not sync for a time, again randomly -- minutes or hours.

This sounds like a line problem.

Mark9007
@teksavvy.com

Mark9007 to TSI Keith

Anon

to TSI Keith
Just opened that ticket an hour ago. Paulo at TSI shipped me the smart RG all set up for my account.
I sincerely appreciate everyone trying to help, but I'm not gonna start playing with firmware etc. Nothing has changed here in months and realistically, I shouldn't have to be a tech to get internet.
Mark9007

Mark9007 to Teddy Boom

Anon

to Teddy Boom
Lines are great according to TSI -- even when they tested them during SNS, they were great. this happens every 9 months or so.
JMJimmy

JMJimmy

said by Mark9007 :

Lines are great according to TSI -- even when they tested them during SNS, they were great. this happens every 9 months or so.

This is definitely not SNS if it's every 9 months or just original firmware that slips out of Stinger mode. SNS is a multiple times per day occurrence, every day. I would have loved a problem every 9 months instead of SNS lol. Anyway, "playing around" with firmware is a lot easier than it sounds. In your router it's just Management->Update Software, select the firmware, hit the update software button. Same sort of process for the config file just under Management->Settings->Update

Mar9007
@teksavvy.com

Mar9007

Anon

LoL, This is is a multiple times per day occurrence, every day, for a week or two, every 9 months,

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom

Premium Member

said by Mar9007 :

multiple times per day occurrence, every day, for a week or two, every 9 months,

Very likely something happens to your line, then it gets better, then it happens again. Who knows what it is though

Do the ping thing, to see if you are _really_ still connected to the internet when this happens. Let us know if you are in routed or bridge mode...