spc
Search similar:

uniqs
tradernik
join:2007-11-02
Toronto, ON

1 edit

tradernik

[Internet] Plan ending - advice for new deal?

Hi guys

Hope this is in the right forum. My current internet plan with Rogers is

80Gb Express: $59.99
Savings: Internet Discount: -$10
Enhanced Home Gateway rental: $7.00

So $56.99 pre-tax. The deal ends May 16. I have never gone over my data usage but I gave up cable TV a few months back and I'm realizing that if I want content, I need to have enough data.

I called retention and they told me about these new pricing schemes and this new modem which is supposedly going to even out the slowdowns associated with cable internet at high traffic times.

My questions are

1) Is this new modem really going to do what they claim?

2) Given my priorities (need less than 200GB of data, would like to have more consistent service but current speed of 25 mbps down is plenty) can anyone suggest a bargaining stance when I go in? What's the best deal I can get if I know how to talk to retention (usually have fairly good luck with them). I've had cell service with them for two years and internet for 10 years (not on contract for cell).

Thanks
dtchmshkyan
join:2013-08-12
Ottawa, ON

dtchmshkyan

Newer Ignite packages provide terrific value for top tier packages. You actually just missed Hybrid Fibre packages which provided a bit more choice for lower tier packages.

As to your questions:

1) The newer modem does provide you with additional channels which spreads the data by more channels which means better safeguard against node congestion, so go ahead and upgrade.

2)Let's see what you can get now: based on your moderate bandwidth needs you can get Ignite 60/10 package with 200Gb bandwidth for $74.99. Modem rental is included in this price. Based on the fact that you had been a long time internet customer and also have wireless services you automatically qualify for 20% consumer loyalty discount and may even qualify for 30% discount. So you are looking at either $60/month or $52.50/month. I would switch to the new 60/10 Ignite package if I were you.
tradernik
join:2007-11-02
Toronto, ON

tradernik

said by dtchmshkyan:

1) The newer modem does provide you with additional channels which spreads the data by more channels which means better safeguard against node congestion, so go ahead and upgrade.

2)Let's see what you can get now: based on your moderate bandwidth needs you can get Ignite 60/10 package with 200Gb bandwidth for $74.99. Modem rental is included in this price. Based on the fact that you had been a long time internet customer and also have wireless services you automatically qualify for 20% consumer loyalty discount and may even qualify for 30% discount. So you are looking at either $60/month or $52.50/month. I would switch to the new 60/10 Ignite package if I were you.

Okay, this is very helpful.

We all know how much variance there is among retention reps. Sometimes you get the ones that try the talky-talk on you even though they can tell that you are a bit more savvy than the average consumer. The guy I spoke to did not mention any discounts, but he did drop something in about 'Let me see what else I can do'. He's actually calling me back on Saturday. I can now go on with at least some ammo. $52.50/month would be reasonable.