dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
barbaro15
join:2015-03-08

barbaro15

[HSI] Packet loss connecting to EA servers?

Could someone please take a look at my WinMTR results (»pastebin.com/raw.php?i=Sjf3351b) and tell me if it could be the reason why I have a very laggy connection when playing FIFA 15 on my PS4? I have contacted EA support and they tell me it's an issue with Charter. I have contacted Charter and they tell me there are no issues with my connection. My signal levels are fine and my speeds are fine as well, I just have a lot of lag playing games online.
aguen
Premium Member
join:2003-07-16
Grants Pass, OR

aguen

Premium Member

I see nothing wrong on the Charter end of that trace. Not very good once it hits level3 and beyond however. What time of the day was this trace taken?

Who owns the 10.145.228.1 IP address?
barbaro15

barbaro15

That was taken around 11:00 pm, but I get very similar results at any time of the day. I have no idea who owns the 10.145.228.1 IP address, but it always connects to it first, not sure why. Here's another WinMTR result from this morning: »pastebin.com/raw.php?i=sdPr8snU
arbit3r9
Nighthawk RAX80 Arris SB8200 rev4
join:2006-02-08
Dorr, MI

arbit3r9 to barbaro15

to barbaro15
the who 10.* ip range is Private Lan address range, just like 192.168.* range. In terms of cable companies its each cable modem is assigned one those 10.* address's. that is ip of local node in your area.

Looking at that pastebin, packet loss isn't bad. does start when hop to lvl3. those not responding are just routers that have ping disabled which some do that.

10.145.228.1 is local node for your cable provider they use 10.* ip's for those.
aguen
Premium Member
join:2003-07-16
Grants Pass, OR

aguen to barbaro15

Premium Member

to barbaro15
Nothing at all wrong indicated in that trace.
barbaro15

barbaro15 to arbit3r9

to arbit3r9
Would that packet loss at the Level 3 servers be causing the lag then? Any way around this? If I run a trace route using Pingplotter it usually shows a packet loss of 20-30% at those servers. On the topic of the 10.x.x.x address, here's some information from EA's help page »help.ea.com/en/article/h ··· o-trace/ :

"If the first few hops shows an IP address reading a mix of 10.x.x.x, 172.16.x.x, or 192.168.x.x, this means your connection is moving through several private networks before getting to the internet-at-large that could be causing issues with game connectivity--this is usually when you're on a very open network, such as on a University campus, at a library, on a military base, etc; if this is the case, you likely need to contact your network administrator to try to workaround any issues. Moving through multiple of the same type of private network--meaning that they consistently share the same number pairing in their above-stated prefix--however is usually fine."

I'm doing these tests from home.

Rampage522
join:2001-10-18
Birmingham, AL

Rampage522

You've only got one private IP address in your trace, and that's normal for Charter (I think that's the IP of your headend or something on those lines). You're not "moving through several private networks" in this case.

The packet loss at Level3 is the beginning/root of your problem, and the only way I know of to get around it is to get word to Level3 or whomever is handing traffic off to them at or around the qwest.net jump. Likely someone else here can post more help.