Search similar:

uniqs
NetTechie
join:2004-03-12
Minneapolis, MN

2 edits

NetTechie

CCNA home lab questions

Hi, I'm just starting to study for CCNA, I'm taking a Networking Fundamentals course, and one of the teachers told me that to properly prepare for the CCNA test you need hands-on experience with hardware, not just practicing using Packet Tracer. So, after doing a bit of research, I have selected a setup on ebay that was recommended to me by the seller. Any thoughts on what else I might need, or if this equipment would in some way limit me?

Here is a copy of what the listing says, and it comes with a 60 day warranty.

Included Items:

CCIE LEVEL Routers:

1x CISCO 2821 Router 256MB Dram/ 64MB Flash Latest IOS 15.1 & Call Manager Express 8.6
2x Gigabit Ethernet Interfaces
2x DSU-T1 Serial ports

1x CISCO 2821 Router 256MB Dram/ 64MB Flash Latest IOS 15.1 & Call Manager Express 8.6
1x DSU-T1 Serial port

1x DSU-T1 Serial port

Switches:

1x WS-C3750-24 CCIE LAYER - 3 switch with STACKWISE PORTS (which is new Topic on CCNP v2.0)
Latest IOS: c3750-ipserviceslmk9-tar.122-55.SE9 Release date 18-MARCH-2014

1x WS-C3750-24 CCIE LAYER - 3 switch with STACKWISE PORTS (which is new Topic on CCNP v2.0)
Latest IOS: c3750-ipserviceslmk9-tar.122-55.SE9 Release date 18-MARCH-2014

1x WS-C2950-24 with 24x FastEthernet Ports Layer 2
Latest IOS: c2950-i6k2l2q4-tar.121-22.EA14

Module Cards:

4x WIC-1DSU-T1-V2 T1 Serial Module Card

Cables:

2x DSU-T1 Serial Cables

3x CAT5e Ethernet Cable

2x Crossover Cable

6x Power Cord

BONUS

1x USB to RJ45 Console Cable ($12.99 Value)

1x DVD
a.SDM 2.5 Software
b.TFTP Server Software
c. Lab Examples and their Solution sililar to the CCNP, SECURITY and VOICE labs

Any input on this setup would be appreciated.

Thanks!
markysharkey
Premium Member
join:2012-12-20
united kingd

1 recommendation

markysharkey

Premium Member

Click for full size
Depends how much that lot will set you back but here's what I used for my CCNA and CCNP.
2 x 2960 10/100 Layer 2 switches
2 x 3550 10/100 Layer 3 switches (3560 or 3750 would be better here if you have the budget.
4 x 1841 ISR Routers. Make sure one of them has an ADSL card so you can connect it directly to your ISP to learn how that works. It's not that intuitive...
I'd add at least 1 access point,an 1142 if you can stretch to it. Make sure it has an autonomous IOS.
I do a fair bit of voice so I also have a CME router (2801) and a bunch of phones and I've also added an 887, a gigabit 2960S and out of view a Meraki MR16.
NetTechie
Minneapolis, MN

1 edit

NetTechie

Wow, nice setup. I guess this makes me wonder how the 2821's compare with 1841 routers, and if three are enough? I see you have four. I could add another 2950 to the setup for a total of two layer 2 switches if needed. My internet is comcast cable, would the ADSL card benefit me? I may learn voice later, but my focus at this point is the CCNA, and perhaps CCNP later. Specifically the setup I listed is missing things I'll need? The seller had said it would be all I would need, though they may not really know.
markysharkey
Premium Member
united kingd

1 recommendation

markysharkey

Premium Member

It'll be all you need for the CCNA. The CCNA material is best covered with 3 routers and two or three switches. If you have 3 switches, make one of them a Layer 3 switch.
The 2821's and 1841's will run the same IOS's so as far as functionality goes, there will be no difference. If I recall though the 2821's are 2U each. 1841's are 1U and about half the size.
I'd leave the cable modem in place and treat it either as an external ISP connection or (if you can) put it in to modem mode and run the firewall and NAT from one of the routers. Depending on how fast your Comcast connection is you may need a 2821 at the edge to run your internet connection at full speed. As you will learn, Cisco IOS routers run EVERYTHING on the processor so the more services you enable (NAT, DHCP, Firewall etc), the slower they run.
NetTechie
Minneapolis, MN

NetTechie

Ok, so an 1841 is essentially the same as the 2821, good. My internet speed is 57mbit if I recall. I have an access point in the room I plan to set the lab up in (the cable comes into the house in a different room, where the modem is). At the moment I use the access point, and run ethernet to my machines off of the back of it. It is a Amped Wireless SR10000. Would this access point be ok? Or should I buy the one you mentioned?
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to NetTechie

MVM

to NetTechie
1841 only has WICs, while 2821 takes WICs and NMs and PVDMs.

In terms of just CCNA, that is a pretty featured setup and should see you through
your NA and possibly NP. Really comes down to what you want to do and where you
want to go next when you finish your NA.

Regards
NetTechie
Minneapolis, MN

NetTechie

Cool to know. Okay, yeah the seller said that it was all I would need to prepare for the CCNP as well, the new version 2. Though I don't have my CCNA, I see it as a better investment if the hardware I buy is also going to work for the labs for the CCNP as well. Hopefully I wont need to spend a lot extra to be setup for CCNP when the time comes.
NetTechie

2 edits

NetTechie to markysharkey

to markysharkey
said by markysharkey:

I'd add at least 1 access point,an 1142 if you can stretch to it. Make sure it has an autonomous IOS.

Dual or Single band? Any reason not to go Single Band? Thanks for the tip on autonomous IOS.
markysharkey
Premium Member
united kingd

markysharkey

Premium Member

1142's are all dual band. 1141's and 1140's are single band if I recall correctly. The only reason I mention adding a Cisco AP is that almost whatever job you end up doing, wireless will be involved. Besides, they're great access points!
Any reason not to go single band? Yeah, who uses single band these days? Often in networks where IP telephony with wireless phones are deployed the phones are what uses the 5.0Ghz frequency with data on 2.4Ghz, although this is changing as AC becomes more popular. Also it's good for learning what else you can do to separate or amalgamate hosts using both frequencies and how you can use the frequencies to manipulate the network to do what you want it to. And it allows you to test things like signal penetration and throughput ready for when you have to troubleshoot wireless in the field.
As for CCNA CCNP thet 1841 will do all the way to CCIE. Apart from module slots as mentioned by Hellfire, there is no functional difference between the routers.
I have been through CCNA R&S, CCNA Voice, CCNA Security, CCNA Wireless and CCNP R&S with my kit. I have had a go at a couple of CCIE labs and they can be configured and worked on without issue on my gear as it stands, although a few more routers are needed for the CCIE labs.
NetTechie
Minneapolis, MN

NetTechie

Thank you for the response. I just found out from an ebayer the V05 ones marked as single band on the device actually have dual band. If this is true, I could use a single band one right? Without any limitation?
markysharkey
Premium Member
united kingd

markysharkey

Premium Member

Dunno, never tried a dual band "single band" AP. Sounds like a foul-up waiting to happen to me, so I'd err on the side of caution and buy a device that is described correctly.
HELLFIRE
MVM

HELLFIRE to NetTechie

MVM

to NetTechie
Not sure about a V05, your best bet is to match up against the following part #s

Otherwise 2nd markysharkey See Profile entirely, especially from a learning perspective, and something that's "more" than your bogstandard home 192.168.x.x kit.

My 00000010bits

Regards
NetTechie
Minneapolis, MN

NetTechie

Hmmm, I looked it up, it is the AIR-LAP1142N-A-K9 model. It says on the cisco paged linked above that it can do 802.11a, but the photo on ebay of the device shows it saying "Single Band". I would guess that the firmware is the main difference then, and if they are identical hardware, perhaps the dual band firmware can be loaded to enable it. So while I do agree it's safer to err on the side of caution, especially in a learning environment, it already shipped out and was cheap ($55 shipped). I may just buy another that is dual band to be on the safe side, and have this as an extra on hand. Thank you for the input on this.
HELLFIRE
MVM

HELLFIRE to NetTechie

MVM

to NetTechie
...if you want to be 100% sure what you're getting, have the seller to provide the output of "show version" and match the part # to the list. Photos of
equipment are a dime a dozen, and unless the seller regularly deals with this stuff and knows their part #s backwards and forwards, it's easy for
a "human error" to post up the wrong information.

As for simply loading firmware to "activate" the dual band, I can't say myself... again, if you want to be sure, buy according to the parts #s.

Lastly LAPs are the "lightweight" versions, meaning they're dumb radios controlled by a wireless controller (WLC). They can be converted back to autonomous
mode, but for a first time experience, I'd recommend keeping away from them till you gain alittle more experience / comfort with Cisco gear.

My 00000010bits

Regards

TomS_
Git-r-done
MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK

TomS_ to NetTechie

MVM

to NetTechie
IMO, and if you plan to go further you could end up anywhere, replace the DSU-T1 with VWIC or VWIC2 equivalents. These can do data and voice.

Depending on where your interest wanders over the next few years, you could end up doing voice. But it also is handy just to have that capability anyway in case you want to play around with it outside of your day job. The only thing you'd need to invest in then would be PVDMs, some VICs to provide different voice interfaces, and some handsets.
NetTechie
Minneapolis, MN

3 edits

NetTechie

said by TomS_:

Depending on where your interest wanders over the next few years, you could end up doing voice.

I totally agree. I'm probably going to get setup for voice next. I'm sure I will be encountering it at work once I get a job. I'll do some research on this.
markysharkey
Premium Member
united kingd

markysharkey to HELLFIRE

Premium Member

to HELLFIRE
Totally agree with Hellfire here. Before spending any money you must see a sho vers of the device. A sho ip int brief will also work. Dual band AP's have two radios (duh!).
int dot11rad0 is the 2.4Ghz radio
int dot11rad1 is the 5.0Ghz radio
If both interfaces exist then its a dual band AP.

The part number you are looking for is AIR-SAP1142N-A-K9. Let me take you through it
AIR = Aironet
SAP= Standalone Access Point (Standalone = Autonomous) or LAP = Lightweight Access Point (needs a controller to work)
1142n = Model number The n deneotes Wireless N standard. If it was a G it would be wireless G.
A = Regulatory domain. A= USA E= Europe and so on.
K9 = Cryptographic/security features.

The newer versions are slightly different. They still use AIR - then SAP (Standalone Access Point) or CAP (Controller-based Access Point) then the part number with either an i or an e which stands for internal or external antenna. They are all wireless N, like this: AIR-SAP1602i-A-K9 Other models are 2602 and 3602.
Wireless AC versions are AIR-xAP1702i-A-K9 or 2702 or 3702
NetTechie
Minneapolis, MN

NetTechie to HELLFIRE

to HELLFIRE
said by HELLFIRE:

Lastly LAPs are the "lightweight" versions, meaning they're dumb radios controlled by a wireless controller (WLC). They can be converted back to autonomous mode, but for a first time experience, I'd recommend keeping away from them till you gain a little more experience / comfort with Cisco gear.

The seller said they would convert it for me to autonomous GUI version upon request. So hopefully I wont need to do anything special with it.
markysharkey
Premium Member
united kingd

markysharkey

Premium Member

Forget the GUI, it's terrible! And it sounds like the seller is not overly familiar with the breed...
NetTechie
Minneapolis, MN

NetTechie

So as long as it is autonomous I'm good through?

Here is a quote from the listing:

Comes setup to use with controller. I will convert to autonomous (no controller needed - setup via web GUI similar to home user style access points) if you win and message me you need it converted. I can not provide assistance with how to configure the Access Point - google is your friend.
markysharkey
Premium Member
united kingd

markysharkey

Premium Member

Yup.
NetTechie
Minneapolis, MN

4 edits

NetTechie

There were only a few left so I got one without waiting, basically because the listing said they would convert it for me to autonomous.

I guess as soon as I get it run the test above, see if it has what it needs. If not, get one that does. Thanks for all the input on this.
NetTechie

NetTechie to TomS_

to TomS_
said by TomS_:

IMO, and if you plan to go further you could end up anywhere, replace the DSU-T1 with VWIC or VWIC2 equivalents. These can do data and voice.

Depending on where your interest wanders over the next few years, you could end up doing voice. But it also is handy just to have that capability anyway in case you want to play around with it outside of your day job. The only thing you'd need to invest in then would be PVDMs, some VICs to provide different voice interfaces, and some handsets.

So I'd have to convert over from having the serial cables to having data/voice cards, to be ready for learning voip?
markysharkey
Premium Member
united kingd

markysharkey

Premium Member

No, just add the VWIC. 1841's have two slots and 28zz have 4 slots and plenty of options for adding more via the NM module slots. And to be honest once Frame Relay is out the way I doubt you'll ever use a serial cable ever again. I have it on good authority that Frame Relay is soon to be dropped from the CCNA, but I don't know when.
HELLFIRE
MVM

HELLFIRE to NetTechie

MVM

to NetTechie
said by NetTechie:

The seller said they would convert it for me to autonomous GUI version upon request. So hopefully I wont need to do anything special with it.

Certainly hope they know what they're doing. I've read the manual before.. but it's definately something I'd only feel better
and more confident having done a couple times before, both in and out of a PROD environment.

It's your money and decision OP... we're just pointing out the caveats / "gotchas!"

Regards

TomS_
Git-r-done
MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK

TomS_ to markysharkey

MVM

to markysharkey
Caveat for 2801 slot and module compatability!

»www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td ··· p1038322

Basically you can only install:

2x HWIC
3x WIC
4x VIC or VWIC

or some combination of, depending on slot usage.
NetTechie
Minneapolis, MN

NetTechie

The one I ordered is the 2821, I'm looking at the page for it though I'm not sure how to read it.

»www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td ··· p1045341

Is it not able to run voice and the serial cards at the same time?
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
Westell 6100
Cisco PIX 501

1 edit

cramer

Premium Member

I don't understand your question? There are voice slots and there are data slots. The "EVM" (enhanced voice module) slot is for the EVM (voice) only. The WIC slots are data only. The NME slot is data only. If you aren't doing any analog voice, the EVM isn't necessary. However, you'll still need PVDM's (DSPs) to handle conferencing and transcoding.

»www.cisco.com/c/en/us/su ··· =bodynav
NetTechie
Minneapolis, MN

NetTechie

I guess my question is, if I want to set myself up for a home voip lab, what would I need for this, beyond what I already have listed in the first post of this topic. Also, would it be possible to have both functions using that equipment, both the CCNA lab, and the voip lab.

As I understand I need to get handsets, VIC(s), and PVDM(s), according to TomS_. All appear to be very cheap on ebay, though I'm not sure exactly which ones would be the right ones to get.

I would be interested in getting setup for voip, but I do not want to disable my CCNA lab. If the equipment would not be able to do both at once, I'd rather just setup a separate voip lab later, or convert this setup back and forth depending on what I was working on.
cramer
Premium Member
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
Westell 6100
Cisco PIX 501

cramer

Premium Member

See the link I added.

I recommend getting the EVM and the necessary break-out cable -- AMP to bare wire works for me, AMP to 66-block might be better for a lab. Specific VIC's will work, but they have to be ones the router supports; the EVM is a no-guessing answer, and there's a dedicated slot for it.

VoIP phones are pretty easy to find. I'd get a mix of SIP and Skinny (SCCP) phones. Call Manager still uses SCCP. CCME (the on-router CM) can do both, and with a new enough release can even mix the two. For completeness, I recommend a few non-cisco SIP phones as well. (I have Snom and Aastra myself.)