join:1999-05-28
Billion BiPAC 7800N
Apple AirPort Extreme (2011)

justin to DocDrew

Mod

to DocDrew

Re: FYI: for general feedback on the new speedtest

said by DocDrew:

Justin, how do we lookup the results for different providers or areas? With the old tests we could search by city, zip code, and/or provider.

There will be ways to explore the data. I'm stretched pretty thin at the moment, there is a contractor still working on the result PNG that is about to need integration and so on.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

DocDrew

Premium Member

said by justin:

said by DocDrew:

Justin, how do we lookup the results for different providers or areas? With the old tests we could search by city, zip code, and/or provider.

There will be ways to explore the data. I'm stretched pretty thin at the moment, there is a contractor still working on the result PNG that is about to need integration and so on.

Excellent. Thank you.
DocDrew

DocDrew to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

You are not making sense. When you test "there"? I thought the speed test was here at dslreports. Are you saying you have a Comcast account as well as TWC and you use one on one machine and the other on another machine? That might account for your use of the word "there".

I have different broadband providers at different locations. Charter at home. TWC where I work. I've used the new speedtest at both locations, so when I look at my test history I have results for TWC and results for Charter. I don't have Comcast service...yet.
said by Mele20:

Why are you challenging what I said as now you seem to agree with me?

The chart Justin posted that you were commenting on when replying to his post was for Comcast.
said by Mele20:

Why are TWC customers showing 100 and above down but only 5 up? If by accident, I got a Comcast chart on MY results page is that fixed? You have avoided what I asked about and seem to be deliberately trying to obscure the issue which is why are TWC customers seeing such pathetic download speeds when they have 10 or 20 up?

TWC has many different MANY tiers depending on where you are located.

2/1 Everyday low price (ELP) tier.
6/1 Basic
10/1 non-MAXX
15/1 non-MAXX
20/2 non-MAXX
30/5 non-MAXX
50/5 MAXX and non-MAXX
100/5 non-MAXX
100/10 MAXX
200/20 MAXX
300/20 MAXX

So the speed test results are all over the board.

justin
..needs sleep
Mod

justin

Mod

you can see the clumps of results at the above speeds, with enough statistics and data it would be possible to derive the likely set of products from the chart.

SuperNet
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium Member
join:2002-10-08
Hoffman Estates, IL

SuperNet to justin

Premium Member

to justin
Click for full size
I been getting.. Safari

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
Billion BiPAC 7800N

justin

Mod

Can you change upload streams to 1?
if that works, set memory use on upload to 10, and back to default settings otherwise?
Or, select just Chicago location in preferences.

the error is the browser failing unexpectedly on one or other upload requests. It isn't failing on all otherwise you'd not get any upload readings, it seems to be at the end of the test.

edit: wait I see the log for that test. And previous ones that work fine. If you restart Safari, is it back to normal?

SuperNet
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium Member
Hoffman Estates, IL

SuperNet

Premium Member

Click for full size
said by justin:

Can you change upload streams to 1?
if that works, set memory use on upload to 10, and back to default settings otherwise?
Or, select just Chicago location in preferences.

the error is the browser failing unexpectedly on one or other upload requests. It isn't failing on all otherwise you'd not get any upload readings, it seems to be at the end of the test.

edit: wait I see the log for that test. And previous ones that work fine. If you restart Safari, is it back to normal?

Got the error again and then when i hit test again, looked like that.

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
Billion BiPAC 7800N

justin

Mod

Did you first, or at all, restart Safari ?

because in order from most recent tests backwards I see

»[Cable Speed test: 115.33/24.37 20 ms] -- ok
»[Cable Speed test: 15.23 down, 41 ms] -- safari blows up
»[Cable Speed test: 115.54/23.95 17 ms] --- ok
»[Cable Speed test: 114.41 down, 18 ms] -- safari blows up
»[Cable Speed test: 124.79/23.91 17 ms] --- ok
»[Cable Speed test: 125.39/23.98 43 ms]

SuperNet
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium Member
Hoffman Estates, IL

SuperNet

Premium Member

said by justin:

Did you first, or at all, restart Safari ?

because in order from most recent tests backwards I see

»[Cable Speed test: 115.33/24.37 20 ms]

I did restart it before....

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
Billion BiPAC 7800N

justin

Mod

last two tests were normal.

»[Cable Speed test: 115.83/24.03 19 ms]
»[Cable Speed test: 115.33/24.37 20 ms]

I'll add some more diagnostics if safari dumps gain with that error, send me the link. If it does it randomly and is annoying, in preferences set 4 upload streams or set a memory cap of 20 (mb).

SolarPup
Office365 Rockstar
Premium Member
join:2002-03-07
Windsor, CO

SolarPup to justin

Premium Member

to justin
Ran it, download was ok, but upload wasn't anywhere close to what I get from speedtest.net. Location is in the same vicinity on both sites as well. Showing 50/.5 upload here, and 60/11 on speedtest.net.. seemed to peak for a second, then dropped off..
Madtown
Premium Member
join:2008-04-26
93637-2905

Madtown to justin

Premium Member

to justin
When I run a speed test on HSPA+ do I choose 3G or 4G?

justin
..needs sleep
Mod

justin to SolarPup

Mod

to SolarPup
firefox just stalled during upload for you. As in ceased to transfer any data after an initial burst.

Can you check what extensions you might have installed, or anti virus, or try chrome or ie to see what is blocking things?
justin

justin to Madtown

Mod

to Madtown
said by Madtown:

When I run a speed test on HSPA+ do I choose 3G or 4G?

4g is assumed to be faster but either should give the same result.

SolarPup
Office365 Rockstar
Premium Member
join:2002-03-07
Windsor, CO

SolarPup to justin

Premium Member

to justin
No extensions installed, sophos for antivirus, and tried in IE as well, same result..

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
Billion BiPAC 7800N

justin

Mod

said by SolarPup:

sophos for antivirus,

Did you try to disable Sophos for a run?
That is one of the few anti-virus products that gets in the way.

After all, you use your connection not from Flash but from the browser and this speed test is browser based, not flash based, so if something is screwing with the speed in the test, it would be screwing with the speed when you use the browser to upload/download.
justin

1 recommendation

justin

Mod

updates

* Other results from ISP are shown on logarithmic axis for download speed and split into non-desktop and desktop results (colors).
* Buffer bloat estimator graph added to result page for a speed test. According to the buffer bloat experts, if your home equipment (modem, router etc) has outsized hardware buffers the ping time during intensive use rises dramatically and this is undesirable. You can now see what RTT did during the download upload and idle phases of the test. Big increases in latency indicate poor performance in high traffic scenarios.

Kathy_9
Premium Member
join:2005-05-15
Cloud 9

Kathy_9 to justin

Premium Member

to justin
The test used to work when I okay'd the page for NoScript but lately I get this error. Any idea which browser extension causes issues?

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612

MVM

I was seeing from my phone on Saturday evening while it was connected to a very latent 3G connection. The data was working fine, although it made me wonder if the test was breaking because of the latency. Then again, Satellite should have been much worse!
fixrman
From a broken heart to a hole in the sky
Premium Member
join:2003-02-10
Hatboro, PA
·Verizon FiOS

fixrman to Kathy_9

Premium Member

to Kathy_9
What extensions do you run? I mean, asking somebody to tell you what might block is kind of silly if they forget about one or two. Look at your extension list. Some of them will be quite obvious what would block - Adblock Plus for one might treat the test as a pop-up, so ABP should be whitelisted... You DO trust DSLReports after all, don't you?

Also Kathy_9, are we to guess what browser you are using? Sure, we could research it via your test results - but folks, please (not just Kathy_9): Make justin's efforts easier by giving ALL of your information (not private stuff) in the post. Please.

dandeman
MVM
join:2001-12-05
Chapel Hill, NC

dandeman to justin

MVM

to justin
»[DSL Speed test: 5.52/0.41 30 ms]

jig
join:2001-01-05
Hacienda Heights, CA

jig to justin

to justin

Re: Possibly reading too high?

said by justin:

said by jig:

is there any chance that the calculation of the download and/or upload metric is prone to error on the high side? i'll perform some more tests with the hardware i have on hand, but just wanted to get this out there.

Not that I'm aware of. For example, I setup a byte-rate limited nginx on 127.0.0.1 where any connection is limited to X bytes per second, and the download test reported the limit that I set.

I'm confused about your message, you are saying the Zywall is "rated" for 5M symmetric, you mean it should be limiting throughput to 5/5 but you get 26.6/5 ? or the 5.02 is bothering you.

Hi Justin,

Just wanted to follow up - the actual throughput of the Z5 appears to be theoretical 80Mbps, real world maybe about 50, and it's distributed between up and down stream traffic.

so, the test for me appears accurate and is probably limited by my router on the download.

Interesting Question: does it make sense to test upload and download at the same time somehow? I know that maxxing out the upload will kill the download (and probably vice versa), but I wonder if it makes sense to test total max simultaneous throughput.

it would be complex to implement (would have to sneak up on the maxes, then increment one then the other higher until there was measurable stall or detriment, and there might be no easily determined global maximum). to top it off, the metric would have nothing to compare to, since all the other testers do up and down separately. more, it would probably be measuring the user's hardware more than the ISP provisioning, at least for the higher speeds.

still, it would be interesting. maybe a side project on whether it makes any sense to rate ISPs against each other based on that metric (max simultaneous bandwidth), if it could even be determined reliably.
DrStrangLov
join:2012-03-28

DrStrangLov to justin

to justin

Re: FYI: for general feedback on the new speedtest

Satellite - I noticed latency was lowest on Denver server, 697ms, but Speed-Test used Dallas server, which had a higher latency, 714ms.

»[Satellite Speed test: 17.57/4.48 697 ms]
saradon
join:2001-03-29
Bethesda, MD

saradon to justin

to justin
Upload does not work using icab 5.5 web browser (does not support java)

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
Billion BiPAC 7800N

justin

Mod

said by saradon:

Upload does not work using icab 5.5 web browser (does not support java)

Try again. It isn't ideal as iCab does not instrument any progress updates on uploads, but it works ok now.
justin

justin to DrStrangLov

Mod

to DrStrangLov
said by DrStrangLov:

Satellite - I noticed latency was lowest on Denver server, 697ms, but Speed-Test used Dallas server, which had a higher latency, 714ms.

Good spot and it is fixed. It was sorting by sum of latency before the division by # tests.
justin

justin to Kathy_9

Mod

to Kathy_9
said by Kathy_9:

The test used to work when I okay'd the page for NoScript but lately I get this error. Any idea which browser extension causes issues?

That error occurs when a low level "should never happen" javascript error gets thrown trying to either ping or fetch from a server. I've added the low level error to this message but it would be a browser extension causing the problem. So disable NoScript then try, if it works, then it is noscript. If not, then disable the next most likely extension..

Kathy_9
Premium Member
join:2005-05-15
Cloud 9

Kathy_9

Premium Member

said by justin:

That error occurs when a low level "should never happen" javascript error gets thrown trying to either ping or fetch from a server. I've added the low level error to this message but it would be a browser extension causing the problem. So disable NoScript then try, if it works, then it is noscript. If not, then disable the next most likely extension..

Thanks Justin. I had to tweak NoScript again and it's once again working.

»[Cable Speed test: 80.86/11.95 26 ms]

dru
join:2000-09-14
Ogden, UT

dru to justin

to justin
Works really well for me:

»[Fiber Speed test: 1608.02/1549.26 16 ms]

Best Ookla results:
»www.speedtest.net/my-res ··· 89965995

Unfortunately, have not found any public servers in Utah with greater than 1G connections so I have to test to LA. Kudos to DSLR for having that ability to test "real" fiber out of the gate.

justin
..needs sleep
Mod

justin

Mod

Can I ask if you can run some tests that I'll send by instant message at some point? (no need to hang around for them, just when you get the time).

Its very difficult to tune for real-world gigabit+ connections without a real test site.