uniqs

wutsinterweb3
End Citizen's United
Premium Member
join:2014-08-26
USA

wutsinterweb3

Premium Member

[WIN8] How do I change this which user account?

How do I change which user account Windows 8.1 brings up by default when booting up, I searched and don't find an answer to this.

nwrickert
Mod
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL

nwrickert

Mod

As far as I know, it is the account that has most recently logged in.

wutsinterweb3
End Citizen's United
Premium Member
USA

wutsinterweb3

Premium Member

Nope, it isn't doing it. It keeps defaulting to the account I don't want it to. It would be one thing if they all appeared after booting, seems that with each version, the choices diminish and the button clicks increase.
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave to wutsinterweb3

Premium Member

to wutsinterweb3
Assuming Windows 8 acts like all previous in this regard, 'control userpasswords2'

wutsinterweb3
End Citizen's United
Premium Member
USA

wutsinterweb3

Premium Member

Thanks Dave, that brought up the user accounts settings window, but it changed nothing and I searched it for an option and couldn't find one.
dave
Premium Member
not in ohio

dave

Premium Member

I'll try and look into it when I get home (I'm at work now, and domain members are different).

But I don't have Win8, only Win7...

wutsinterweb3
End Citizen's United
Premium Member
USA

wutsinterweb3

Premium Member

Thank you, Dave!
dave
Premium Member
not in ohio

dave

Premium Member

This is what it looks like in Windows 7.

I assume you don't want 'must enter user name and password' -- see the red arrow at the top. In that case, the checkbox is cleared. Set it and clear it again. Hit 'apply'. It should prompt you for the user name and password that you want to automatically be logged in.

wutsinterweb3
End Citizen's United
Premium Member
USA

wutsinterweb3

Premium Member

Ok, did that, now to reboot again, thanks for the effort in helping me, I'll let you know how it goes in a bit.
wutsinterweb3

1 edit

wutsinterweb3 to dave

Premium Member

to dave
Ok, that worked but now it doesn't require password, and I don't want to go that far. If my system gets stolen I don't want someone having access, so I clicked the checkmark again, next time I reboot we'll see if it still defaults to the account I want. Thank you very much! I wonder if I should ask the mods to move my thread in another forum asking about the storage of Secure Boot Keys from BIOS (I'm trying to find out how to verify that the key was successfully saved on a thumb drive, and if you have to format the thumb drive first).

Ok, it works, the other account is the first one to show and I have to enter password, so I'm good to go. Sure would be nice if MS would just make a system that we didn't have to "trick" into doing what we need it to, like I say, from win 3.1 until now, more clicks to do the same things, NOT an improvement in my opinion. They should give us MORE control over our interface, NOT less, we should be able to set everything just as we want.

nwrickert
Mod
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL

nwrickert to wutsinterweb3

Mod

to wutsinterweb3
said by wutsinterweb3:

Nope, it isn't doing it. It keeps defaulting to the account I don't want it to.

Interesting.

For me, it defaults to the account that I most recently used.

However, my accounts (there are three) are all local user accounts. I managed to avoid a microsoft account. If you have some accounts that are local and some that are microsoft accounts, then it would not surprise me if it prefers the latter.

Oh, I only use Win 8.1 for testing dual booting with linux.
nonymous (banned)
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

nonymous (banned) to wutsinterweb3

to wutsinterweb3
If your system gets stolen what is a password going to do? Is your data encrypted?