spc
Search similar:

uniqs

perki
join:2008-12-01
Santa Maria, CA

perki

[Equip] Recommend a Modem?

I'm kind of out of the loop with internet stuff. Whats the go to standard modem these days?

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

[Equip] Re: Recommend a Modem?

See this recent thread: »[Equip] Help me choose best modem to replace rented Arris TG862G/CT

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

1 recommendation

Chris 313 to perki

Premium Member

to perki

Re: [Equip] Recommend a Modem?

said by perki:

I'm kind of out of the loop with internet stuff. Whats the go to standard modem these days?

If you're buying right now, see here and call it done: »www.bestbuy.com/site/mot ··· =9082019

The same modem can be found at Amazon for the same money as well.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

1 recommendation

telcodad to perki

MVM

to perki
The cable modem review article that's on The Wirecutter site has just been updated:

The Best Cable Modem
By David Murphy, The Wirecutter - Updated March 17, 2015
»thewirecutter.com/review ··· e-modem/
sabretooth
join:2012-02-14
Marietta, GA

2 edits

2 recommendations

sabretooth to perki

to perki
What every you do never buy a gateway unit as they all suck especially for wireless connections.

Never buy and install the exact same make and model number Gateway device that Comcast gives to the user and charges a lease fee. This will enable Comcast to claim, at any time, that they own your equipment and will attempt to charge you a lease fee for past and present service.

The two standard modems you ask for:

The highly acclaimed Zoom 5341J or the Motorola SB6183 ($130 Amazon) with 16 downstream and 4 upstream channels. These will future proof your connections for years to come. Buy your own high quality router so you have control over your own network including all firmware upgrades and do not have to rely on Comcast crippled firmware.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to perki

Premium Member

to perki
Generally I always suggest a Motorola. They are not always the cheapest but there is a reason they have been an industry standard.

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

1 recommendation

Johkal

MVM

As I do own an SB6183 and have owned older Motorolas, I'll just say that being an Industry standard is really tainted. Big corporate discounts to ISPs & configurable firmware is a huge part why ISPs lease Motorolas.

I once read that Ford trucks out sell any of their competitors. Guess what; same situation. Ford offers huge fleet discounts making them appealing financially. Sales can be tainted in the scope of which is actually best.

Ripper
Premium Member
join:2002-02-07
Lake Worth, FL

Ripper to perki

Premium Member

to perki
Also a note, Motorola brand modems are owned by Arris now, and the new ones have Arris brand on them. Anyway check this link for Comcast approved modems, any one of these will work. »mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/

Zenit_IIfx
The system is the solution
Premium Member
join:2012-05-07
Purcellville, VA
·Comcast XFINITY

3 recommendations

Zenit_IIfx to perki

Premium Member

to perki
If your in an 8 channel bonding market, and you don't plan on subscribing past blast, the Zoom 5341J should be great:
»www.amazon.com/Zoom-DOCS ··· 063K4NN6

Its quite a bit cheaper than the 16 channel options on the retail market, and many here have posted success with it.
MikeInFL
join:2010-06-04
Jacksonville, FL

1 recommendation

MikeInFL

I only use 25/5 comcast performance. I just ordered a 542IJ, will see how it goes.