spc
Search similar:

uniqs
BLTsndwch
join:2015-03-10
Pensacola, FL

BLTsndwch

[FL] Continued slow upload speeds

For about a week now I have had poor upload speeds, mostly hanging around 2Mbps. Until 2 weeks ago I saw upload speeds around 8Mbps most of the time and 5Mbps at peak hours. I need upload speeds of at least 4Mbps for a application to work and right now I am unable to use it. Cox's speed test shows 5.04 up but all other speed tests and a real world upload shows around 2Mbps. Last weekend it dipped down to 1.2Mbps at peek hours.

Details:
•Cox Gulf Cost market and Preferred speed tier (50Mbps down)
•Modem: Motorola SB6141
•Router: Asus RT-68U
•PC is connected with Ethernet
Signal Levels:

•Speeds tested with Testmy.net, Speedof.me, DSLReports ( »[Cable Speed test: 59.84/2.33 55 ms] ), Cox speed test, and SpeedTest.net.
Dominion
join:2002-06-20
Escondido, CA

Dominion

Are your download speeds affected at all? Your signal levels look surprisingly similar to mine and I'm having significant upload speed issues: »[CA] Low Upload Speed & High Packet Loss - Multiple Tech Visits

Also, are you having any packet loss? You may want to use a tool like PingPlotter (there's a free version).
BLTsndwch
Pensacola, FL

BLTsndwch

Click for full size
said by Dominion:

Are your download speeds affected at all? Your signal levels look surprisingly similar to mine and I'm having significant upload speed issues: »[CA] Low Upload Speed & High Packet Loss - Multiple Tech Visits

Also, are you having any packet loss? You may want to use a tool like PingPlotter (there's a free version).

Not at all, download is at a solid 60Mbps except for peak hours when it can get down to 45Mbps but I can live with that. I ran pingplotter for 40 minutes yesterday when upload speeds were not great but not dead like I have encountered. I will run it again for many hours next time I see very poor upload speeds for a more extensive test.
Dominion
join:2002-06-20
Escondido, CA

Dominion

How many samples did you include in that plot? It doesn't look like you have any packet loss if that's actually showing the full 40 minutes.

Hard Harry7
join:2010-10-19
Narragansett, RI

Hard Harry7

Looks like there is a 5% packet loss between hop 1 and 2. I notice you have a Cellspot router, any relation to performance problems and making/receiving cellular calls?
BLTsndwch
Pensacola, FL

BLTsndwch

said by Dominion:

How many samples did you include in that plot? It doesn't look like you have any packet loss if that's actually showing the full 40 minutes.

After reading the guide for Pingplotter I realized that I accidentally left it on the default option for graphing so it only graphed the last 20 results. That chart is useless as it only shows a small fraction of the time I ran the test unfortunately. However, the slow upload has returned this afternoon and I am running a thorough pingplotter test that will continue for many hours. I don't think I will find significant packetloss but at least I will know for sure.
said by Hard Harry7:

Looks like there is a 5% packet loss between hop 1 and 2. I notice you have a Cellspot router, any relation to performance problems and making/receiving cellular calls?

Not that I have noticed, wifi calling has been very stable on my home network. I have only had 6 dropped calls in the lifetime of the router and all of those are easily attributable to the person on the other side. Occasionally when I check my phone I will notice that the "T-Mobile Wifi" indicator that WiFi calling is ready is missing but if I turn off and on wifi on the phone it comes right back.
BLTsndwch

BLTsndwch

Click for full size
Pingplotter over 5 hours
I ran PingPlotter for almost 5 hours and got what I expected: 1% packet loss. During this period I tested many times with many diferent speed tests and real world transfers and was never able to get above 2.1 Mbps up.