bobcamp177
join:2010-06-23
Cicero, NY

bobcamp177 to MeatChicken

to MeatChicken

Re: [Guide] IMG 1.9.8 (Legacy STB's)

said by MeatChicken:

said by bobcamp177:

If you think you want to watch a program, or you have become interested in something you are currently watching, RECORD IT!!!!! You just can't count on a live buffer. This is a golden DVR rule that people have tried to break since DVRs were invented, and it always comes back to bite them.

Even with Tivo, you can't count on the live buffer as it might decide to record a suggestion at any time. With FIOS, someone might accidentally turn off the DVR or change the channel, which might also clear the buffer. Also with FIOS, I have seen a show that should have been on the scheduled recordings list not show up until the last second (also usually a bug, sometimes a last second schedule change, but at least it records the show).

Considering there is supposedly only one more software release for these DVRs, and this bug has been around a while, and there are several workarounds for it, I don't see this ever getting fixed.

The bug you mention & quote has absolutely nothing to do with the live buffer, or relying on the buffer , or recording any program...
The mentioned bug was simply about Deleting a scheduled recording, and having it actually stay deleted.

It has everything to do with the live buffer. The most annoying part of the bug is the fact that the live buffer of the channel you were watching gets erased when the DVR starts recording the show you previously deleted. That's what everybody was complaining about. The only other annoying part of the bug would happen if your DVR were 100% full -- it would delete another recording to make room for the unwanted recording. Otherwise it shouldn't matter if the DVR is recording something you didn't want, as you can simply delete the recording later or cancel it via the pop-up window when you want to switch channels.

It may not even be a bug. It might be a feature. It doesn't always happen for me, just once in a while. Maybe the guide data for that show got updated between the time you removed it from scheduled recordings and the time it aired, and the DVR wasn't sure if you still wanted to not record it so it recorded it to be safe. Who knows? I just hope they fix some of the other bugs first before they fix this one.

nascar
join:2000-02-28
Verona, NJ

nascar

One comment on this issue...

If you have the recording set as a Series Recording and you delete it from the schedule, it will return to the schedule if you reorganize your Series Recording Priority.

There are pros and cons to this, like everything.

I can see were some feel it is a bug and others maybe a feature. At some point moving to the 6 tuner Quantum sort of solves or diminishes this situation.
chitchatjf
join:2008-07-13
Lawrence, MA

chitchatjf to nascar

to nascar
I thought updates were usually on Tuesdays

If so then VHO6 doesn't have it yet.

matcarl
Premium Member
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl

Premium Member

The first few areas got it on Wednesday

charliewatts
join:2013-04-10

charliewatts to nascar

to nascar
With a new Guide being pushed, will a rebooted set top box, that isn't used for a week, still record the programmed dvr shows? Or is it waiting to be turned on, and have the FiOS logo on the screen for 2 minutes as it finishes downloading?

nascar
Verona, NJ

nascar

It will continue to record unattended once the update has completed.
said by charliewatts:

With a new Guide being pushed, will a rebooted set top box, that isn't used for a week, still record the programmed dvr shows? Or is it waiting to be turned on, and have the FiOS logo on the screen for 2 minutes as it finishes downloading?

chitchatjf
join:2008-07-13
Lawrence, MA

chitchatjf to nascar

to nascar
and we still do not have it

matcarl
Premium Member
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl

Premium Member

I wonder if any areas got it this week.
jr461
join:2006-12-21
Montvale, NJ

jr461

Earlier this week there was a message on my Motorola box saying that enhancements were coming to my Cisco boxes! No dates and a short list of the types of enhancements (same ones as discussed in this thread).

So why would I receive a message concerning Cisco boxes when I only have Motorola?
Is this just a mistake and is VHO7 getting this soon (for Motorola)?
sbernstein5
join:2005-01-18
10024-5650

sbernstein5 to matcarl

to matcarl
said by matcarl:

I wonder if any areas got it this week.

My assumption is that this was a blackout week with Easter coming. They wouldn't want the support staff to be overwhelmed with calls on Easter weekend....

skysig
@verizon.com

skysig

Anon

Yes, VHO7 Cisco boxes

bohratom
My Jersey Giants finally winning again..
join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ

bohratom to nascar

to nascar
I was very surprised to see my VHO 7 get this update among the first a couple weeks ago as normally we are near the bottom since we are one of the top 2 for Subscribers.
Sympathy
join:2004-09-06
Newburgh, NY

Sympathy to nascar

to nascar
VHO 5 will be getting it this week. Got the notification on the box this morning.
RobertMets12
join:2010-10-16

RobertMets12

I'm in VHO 5 I didn't get the notification I thought everyone would get it.
mikeluscher159
join:2011-09-04

mikeluscher159 to nascar

to nascar
Got the message on Staten Island/VHO-5
sbernstein5
join:2005-01-18
10024-5650

sbernstein5 to Sympathy

to Sympathy
said by Sympathy:

VHO 5 will be getting it this week. Got the notification on the box this morning.

If you get the messing this morning, doesn't that mean you get the update NEXT week, based upon past upgrades?

matcarl
Premium Member
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl

Premium Member

No, you get it the week it tells you. We should see it either Tuesday or Wednesday morning based on the last few weeks.
lee7n
join:2012-11-05

4 edits

lee7n

Click for full size
Click for full size
Got message on my 7232 in VHO5 about guide update coming. Update happening now vho5. Code upgrade in progress. Release 1.98 build 20.16

matcarl
Premium Member
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl

Premium Member

I'm disappointed with the option for larger font. It doesn't make the little symbols like the TV ratings any bigger, I still can't read them. Also the channel names are still the same size, Encore Classic is so small you can barely read it. It only makes the description of the show a bit bigger, but by doing that, it shortens the description and you have to press the Info button to get to the next screen to read the rest of the description.
matcarl

matcarl

Premium Member

Also, the new skip 12 minute VOD option no one will ever find. There is only one speed for VOD when you FF, you have to press FF twice to see the option, but most people know there is only one speed, so they probably won't hit the button twice to see that option. The option should show after you press FF only once.

dcowboy
join:2012-05-10
Pequannock, NJ

dcowboy to matcarl

to matcarl
said by matcarl:

I'm disappointed with the option for larger font.
It only makes the description of the show a bit bigger

From the pics it looks like the title is bigger too.

bluepoint
join:2001-03-24

bluepoint to nascar

to nascar
I'm not liking the new Menu bold font, it looks like the whole menu is not proportionate in size as a result. Just my opinion, I'm sure some wil like it but for me I like the previous font and size.

nascar
Verona, NJ

nascar

It is just an option and a choice. you can select either one at any time.
said by bluepoint:

I'm not liking the new Menu bold font, it looks like the whole menu is not proportionate in size as a result. Just my opinion, I'm sure some wil like it but for me I like the previous font and size.

bluepoint
join:2001-03-24

bluepoint

That's what I'm talking about, even if the large font is disabled, the bold font is ugly and disproportionate the menu. I like the former font used previously.

shadowcaster1
join:2008-04-21
Dix Hills,NY

shadowcaster1 to lee7n

to lee7n
VH05....got the update this morning.
RobertMets12

RobertMets12

I'm in VHO 5 I didn't get the update yet.

matcarl
Premium Member
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl

Premium Member

said by RobertMets12:

I'm in VHO 5 I didn't get the update yet.

You have the legacy Motorola boxes?
RobertMets12

RobertMets12

I have the Arris VMS1100 boxes.

matcarl
Premium Member
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl

Premium Member

That's why, they didn't get this update. The title of this thread is for the Legacy STB's
RobertMets12

RobertMets12

Will I get the update soon or is it just for the legacy boxes .