uniqs

sameasyou
@arena1.com

sameasyou to nascar

Anon

to nascar

Re: [Guide] IMG 1.9.8 (Legacy STB's)

Nascar-

same set up as you, same VHO (I live in Verona as well), and same observations - controls freeze for a brief moment, but never video.
bobcamp177
join:2010-06-23
Cicero, NY

bobcamp177 to Shady Bimmer

to Shady Bimmer
said by Shady Bimmer:

said by nascar:

I am not seeing this behavior at all. If I did, I would have noticed.

I see the same behavior, and others have mentioned they see this in this forum in the past. Each time the DVR begins or ends a scheduled recording the video freezes momentarily.

It is odd, particularly considering that the DVR is actually always recording both tuners. it is annoying and frustrating but I've lived to learn with it as a "quirk"

I see this too. It happens for up to 3 seconds if you're on the channel it's recording, and maybe up to a second if you're on a different channel. It doesn't freeze, as you miss content and have to skip back 8 seconds to view what you missed. But the recordings and buffer are fine.
sbernstein5
join:2005-01-18
10024-5650

sbernstein5

What's the best way for us to report bugs like this these days? I know that "Twitter Joe" used to take bug reports (or at least he said he did...), but what's our approved pathway these days?

This bug I'm talking about SO annoying....

Branch
:D
Premium Member
join:2014-07-22
VHO 4

Branch

Premium Member

Try the vz direct forum. They're helpful.

nycdave
MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY

nycdave to sbernstein5

MVM

to sbernstein5
If you mean the pause when recordings end, I've already indicated that isn't getting fixed.

nascar
join:2000-02-28
Verona, NJ

nascar

Legacy boxes are going to get one last update. I suggest you/anyone itemize a list of bugs. If there is a way to fix them maybe it will get in the last update. Maybe not.

Quantum will get most focus this year and beyond to resolve the issue that that platform has.

At some point, later this year, it may be a benefit to move to that platform (but not yet ...my opinion only)
jr461
join:2006-12-21
Montvale, NJ

jr461

The one major bug, as I've mentioned, is recordings do not let you FF inside the last 1 miin/30 sec (approx) of a recording. If you do, it pops you right out of it.

With almost all shows having one more scene right up until the next show starts, one has to FF to about 2 min left, endure commercials and wait for that last scene.

Am I the only one with this issue?

nascar
Verona, NJ

nascar

You are not alone. Not sure this can be fixed. As the altrnative was it just dropped you out missing the end of the program. So this may be best. You can use Skip.
said by jr461:

The one major bug, as I've mentioned, is recordings do not let you FF inside the last 1 miin/30 sec (approx) of a recording. If you do, it pops you right out of it.

With almost all shows having one more scene right up until the next show starts, one has to FF to about 2 min left, endure commercials and wait for that last scene.

kmwoolls
join:2013-10-04
Spotsylvania, VA

kmwoolls

Does anyone know when VH04 will get this update? Thanks

keyboards
join:2001-02-14
Doylestown, PA

keyboards to jr461

to jr461
said by jr461:

You can use the skip forward to bypass the commercials and not have it hit the end and jump out. I have mine set to 30 seconds and use it all the time just for this.

MeatChicken
join:2007-08-15
Paramus, NJ

MeatChicken to nascar

to nascar
A major bug I have noticed, for at least the last couple revisions is, when viewing a recording from a remote box (7100), the "skip forward " button becomes non-functional/goes dead, after "being used a lot" during the program ...
If you watch recorded show on the remote box, ( especially if it's an hour or more), & use only the skipFW button to go past commercials or fwd to next scenes, sometimes in the middle of the show, the skip button stops working, becomes non- functional, & you have to then start using the ffwd button instead, & yet after using the ffwd button for a bit, skip button functionality then returns...
It is almost as if you have "filled a buffer" for the skip button, & the ffwd "erases" that buffer ...
jr461
Montvale, NJ

jr461 to keyboards

to keyboards
said by keyboards:

said by jr461:

You can use the skip forward to bypass the commercials and not have it hit the end and jump out. I have mine set to 30 seconds and use it all the time just for this.

Thanks, I'll try this. I have mine set to 1 min so will see what happens.
mikeluscher159
join:2011-09-04

mikeluscher159 to nascar

to nascar
Any ETA's on VHO-5?
NickP65
join:2008-12-11
Trenton, NJ

NickP65 to nascar

to nascar
Got it in VHO8 3/24 at about 2am ...

Branch
Premium Member
VHO 4

Branch

Premium Member

There are no "ETAs". Usually VZKid had that info, but he/she doesn't seem to be commenting, or doesn't know. NASCAR said everyone will get it this week.

matcarl
Premium Member
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl

Premium Member

said by Branch:

NASCAR said everyone will get it this week.

Everyone? This week? I don't think he said such a thing.

Branch
Premium Member
VHO 4

Branch

Premium Member

Oh, I went back an reread it, I misread his post, sorry everyone! But still, we don't have any ETAs.

nascar
Verona, NJ

nascar

nope... I never said that... sorry for any confusion.

Branch
Premium Member
VHO 4

Branch

Premium Member

I misread it, not your fault. Sorry again to everyone!

bluepoint
join:2001-03-24

bluepoint to mikeluscher159

to mikeluscher159
said by mikeluscher159:

Any ETA's on VHO-5?

If the phasing is the same as 1.9.7, it will be first week of April.

MeatChicken
Paramus, NJ

1 edit

MeatChicken to nascar

to nascar
Another Bug ( Don't know yet if they addressed it in 9.8) - If you cancel a single recording, it ( sometimes) "keeps coming back" if it's a series recording ..
Yesterday, for example, I noticed I had 2 recordings set on the 7232 for 9PM, & one was a series recording. I deleted one, so the TV could be used for live viewing at that hour.....
I went in and selected "cancel this recording" , verified it was removed, and then set that show to record on My 2nd room 7216 DVR instead ..
About an hour later it was "back" .. I canceled it again , & soon it again came back, & started recording on the 7232 at 9 PM .. ..
This happens often .. Shows That I know I canceled "re-appear" in the scheduled recordings ...
bobcamp177
Cicero, NY

bobcamp177

said by MeatChicken:

Another Bug ( Don't know yet if they addressed it in 9.8) - If you cancel a single recording, it ( sometimes) "keeps coming back" if it's a series recording ..
Yesterday, for example, I noticed I had 2 recordings set on the 7232 for 9PM, & one was a series recording. I deleted one, so the TV could be used for live viewing at that hour.....
I went in and selected "cancel this recording" , verified it was removed, and then set that show to record on My 2nd room 7216 DVR instead ..
About an hour later it was "back" .. I canceled it again , & it again came back, & started recording on the 7232 at 9 PM .. ..
This happens often .. Shows That I know I canceled "re-appear" in the scheduled recordings ...

I guess it's a bug. But it's such a small bug they're not going to fix it. When you go to actually watch live TV, you can always cancel the recording using the pop-up window telling you both tuners are in use.

MeatChicken
Paramus, NJ

MeatChicken

said by bobcamp177:

said by MeatChicken:

About an hour later it was "back" .. I canceled it again , & it again came back, & started recording on the 7232 at 9 PM .. ..

I guess it's a bug. But it's such a small bug they're not going to fix it. When you go to actually watch live TV, you can always cancel the recording using the pop-up window telling you both tuners are in use.

I don't consider that any sort of "small" bug ... It can cause a family member to miss the beginning or end of a show, or create confusion if you are not home, & those in the family think it must be an important recording, & stop viewing TV because both tuners are locked up ...

matcarl
Premium Member
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl

Premium Member

Plus the fact that you need to answer that pop-up message kind of fast before it goes away, it catches you off guard and you don't even have time to read the whole thing.
jr461
Montvale, NJ

jr461 to MeatChicken

to MeatChicken
I've had this happen as well.

charliewatts
join:2013-04-10

charliewatts to jr461

to jr461
said by jr461:

This IS THE MOST annoying bug that I hope is fixed.
sbernstein5
join:2005-01-18
10024-5650

sbernstein5 to MeatChicken

to MeatChicken
said by MeatChicken:

About an hour later it was "back" .. I canceled it again , & soon it again came back, & started recording on the 7232 at 9 PM .. ..

I have seen this bug as well. Recordings that I've cancelled and keep coming back. Haven't seen it a ton, but once in a while it's annoying.

The little freezes when the DVR starts/stops recordings happen to me constantly, which is way more annoying to me! And they've only been happening for the last 2 or 3 IMG releases, so it was a bug that was introduced at some recent point.
bobcamp177
Cicero, NY

bobcamp177 to MeatChicken

to MeatChicken
said by MeatChicken:

said by bobcamp177:

said by MeatChicken:

I don't consider that any sort of "small" bug ... It can cause a family member to miss the beginning or end of a show, or create confusion if you are not home, & those in the family think it must be an important recording, & stop viewing TV because both tuners are locked up ...

If you think you want to watch a program, or you have become interested in something you are currently watching, RECORD IT!!!!! You just can't count on a live buffer. This is a golden DVR rule that people have tried to break since DVRs were invented, and it always comes back to bite them.

Even with Tivo, you can't count on the live buffer as it might decide to record a suggestion at any time. With FIOS, someone might accidentally turn off the DVR or change the channel, which might also clear the buffer. Also with FIOS, I have seen a show that should have been on the scheduled recordings list not show up until the last second (also usually a bug, sometimes a last second schedule change, but at least it records the show).

Considering there is supposedly only one more software release for these DVRs, and this bug has been around a while, and there are several workarounds for it, I don't see this ever getting fixed.

MeatChicken
Paramus, NJ

MeatChicken

said by bobcamp177:

If you think you want to watch a program, or you have become interested in something you are currently watching, RECORD IT!!!!! You just can't count on a live buffer. This is a golden DVR rule that people have tried to break since DVRs were invented, and it always comes back to bite them.

Even with Tivo, you can't count on the live buffer as it might decide to record a suggestion at any time. With FIOS, someone might accidentally turn off the DVR or change the channel, which might also clear the buffer. Also with FIOS, I have seen a show that should have been on the scheduled recordings list not show up until the last second (also usually a bug, sometimes a last second schedule change, but at least it records the show).

Considering there is supposedly only one more software release for these DVRs, and this bug has been around a while, and there are several workarounds for it, I don't see this ever getting fixed.

The bug you mention & quote has absolutely nothing to do with the live buffer, or relying on the buffer , or recording any program...
The mentioned bug was simply about Deleting a scheduled recording, and having it actually stay deleted.

Lex Luthor
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Hicksville, NY

Lex Luthor to jr461

Mod

to jr461
said by jr461:

Did they remove that really annoying bug that jumps a recording being FF to around a minute of the end out of the program and back to the menu?

Also curious about this. Really annoying bug.