uniqs
dmagerl
Premium Member
join:2007-08-06
Woodstock, IL

dmagerl to onebadmofo

Premium Member

to onebadmofo

Re: This isn't really home improvement but...

From reading all the comments, there seems to be a whole world of hate aimed at memory foam beds. So why are they still made?

You'd think manufacturers would have picked up on all this angst and stopped making them. Not to mention that when I go to a mattress store, all they seem to have on display (and push on you) are memory foam mattresses.

I'm seriously thinking of getting a sleep number bed. I've heard nothing but good things about them from acquaintances and in this thread.

By the way, I hate memory foam as well as pillow tops. I like a firm mattress.

garys_2k
Premium Member
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

garys_2k

Premium Member

said by dmagerl:

From reading all the comments, there seems to be a whole world of hate aimed at memory foam beds. So why are they still made?

Because at their sale price there is an enormous amount of profit. Never heard of paying thousands of dollars for foam rubber before they came along.
67845017 (banned)
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned) to dmagerl

to dmagerl
I suggested a Sleep Number to my wife on several occasions and she shot it down instantly every time. Her mother has one and my wife slept on it to try it out. She hated it and since then can't get over her dislike. Personally I'll take a firm spring mattress with no problem, I don't need air, water or NASA.

67845017 (banned) to onebadmofo

to onebadmofo
This may be a good site to check out. I used it when doing my research.

»www.sleeplikethedead.com/
jp16
join:2010-05-04
united state

jp16 to onebadmofo

to onebadmofo
Something for everyone to think about as it worked out well for us:

The wife and I had bought a $2300 mattress. It sagged very badly and was becoming very uncomfortable. So we decided to go get a new one. We went to the furniture store and were looking for new mattresses when the sales person asked what we currently had. We told her we were not exactly sure but we did buy it from them and asked if she could look it up in the computer. She did. In further conversation we noted that our current mattress had a 10 year non-prorated warranty. At the time we had about 6 months left on the warranty. She gave us a copy of all the paperwork and the phone number to call. Some people came out and measured the mattress and took some pictures. A week or so later I got a call from the warranty company saying the mattress was defective and will be replaced. We got a store credit for the amount of the mattress. We had to get a new box spring and pay a $40 delivery charge.

Turns out the industry standard is a 10 year warrenty. Some may be prorated after a period of time. So check and see if your mattress falls under the warranty. They all have specific guidelines so check it out. You may save a few bucks!!!

ZsExperiment
Zse
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
OBX 12 North

ZsExperiment to onebadmofo

Premium Member

to onebadmofo
Going in a completely different direction... the best mattress I've ever had was a firm foam mattress from Ikea. No box springs; they're used on bed frames with sprung wooden slats. They tend to be really low, heightwise, so you might want to put the frame on a raised platform to simulate regular bed height.

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium Member
join:2002-03-30
Pennsylvania

onebadmofo

Premium Member

said by ZsExperiment:

Going in a completely different direction... the best mattress I've ever had was a firm foam mattress from Ikea. No box springs; they're used on bed frames with sprung wooden slats. They tend to be really low, heightwise, so you might want to put the frame on a raised platform to simulate regular bed height.

The bed we currently have is a low one from Ikea. Don't get me wrong, it's good quality and has been for the 10 years we've had it. But the mattress is dead. It's not foam, it's a regular spring type mattress. And the height has gotten old. We want a regular size bed. And putting it up on a platform would make it look like crap.

I'm seriously considering a Sleep Number Bed. But that will have to wait till they have some REALLY good deals. ...Which will be never.
18189353 (banned)
join:2014-10-28

18189353 (banned)

said by onebadmofo:

I'm seriously considering a Sleep Number Bed. But that will have to wait till they have some REALLY good deals. ...Which will be never.

Have you gone in to a Sleep Number store and just talked to them yet? We did that and they ended up giving is a great deal. Just because they don't advertise good deals doesn't meant they don't have them.

ZsExperiment
Zse
Premium Member
OBX 12 North

ZsExperiment to onebadmofo

Premium Member

to onebadmofo
said by onebadmofo:

The bed we currently have is a low one from Ikea. Don't get me wrong, it's good quality and has been for the 10 years we've had it. But the mattress is dead. It's not foam, it's a regular spring type mattress. And the height has gotten old. We want a regular size bed. And putting it up on a platform would make it look like crap.

I've never really had good luck with regular spring type mattresses, either. That's why I went with the European foam mattress and sprung wooden slats bed. But no worries... mattress preferences and the height of the bed are highly subjective to individual taste. You know what you want, and that already points you in the right direction.

I've slept on a Sleep Number Bed in a hotel and LOVED it! Excellent choice if you can get a good deal on it. Good luck!

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium Member
Pennsylvania

onebadmofo to 18189353

Premium Member

to 18189353
said by 18189353:

said by onebadmofo:

Have you gone in to a Sleep Number store and just talked to them yet? We did that and they ended up giving is a great deal. Just because they don't advertise good deals doesn't meant they don't have them.

Nah we're not ready for that extra monthly expense yet. By the time we are, any deals that exist now won't be in play then.
And because of that, I haven't even bothered to check if there is a Sleep Number Store in my area.
18189353 (banned)
join:2014-10-28

18189353 (banned)

said by onebadmofo:

said by 18189353:

said by onebadmofo:

Nah we're not ready for that extra monthly expense yet. By the time we are, any deals that exist now won't be in play then.
And because of that, I haven't even bothered to check if there is a Sleep Number Store in my area.

Berkshire Mall

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium Member
Pennsylvania

onebadmofo

Premium Member

said by 18189353:

Berkshire Mall

Well, waddya know.
Maybe I'll kick the doors down and see whats what.
Thanks.
joewho
Premium Member
join:2004-08-20
Dundee, IL

joewho to onebadmofo

Premium Member

to onebadmofo
I guess it all depends on your body type. Foam is absolutely comfortable, at first. Then, it get's too hot. I don't even want a foam pillow. My wife's family owns land and rents to verlo, she has a $3000 bed, but I don't sleep on it. Our body types are completely opposite. I need a super hard, breathing, mattress, while she needs super soft, get lost in it mattress. As for O.P. just look at what works for you. As for me, I wish I could find a mattress with a crotch cooler, because while the rest of me is comfortable, that area is not. JM2C.
67845017 (banned)
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned)

I have/had the same issue with the foam mattresses. But we recently bought an iComfort, which isn't too bad. I think it's gel infused or some crap like that. It's not bad. I still prefer a firm innerspring.

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium Member
Pennsylvania

onebadmofo to joewho

Premium Member

to joewho
said by joewho:

I guess it all depends on your body type. Foam is absolutely comfortable, at first. Then, it get's too hot. I don't even want a foam pillow. My wife's family owns land and rents to verlo, she has a $3000 bed, but I don't sleep on it. Our body types are completely opposite. I need a super hard, breathing, mattress, while she needs super soft, get lost in it mattress. As for O.P. just look at what works for you. As for me, I wish I could find a mattress with a crotch cooler, because while the rest of me is comfortable, that area is not. JM2C.

Maybe you should sleep like this...

MemphisPCGuy
Taking Care Business
Premium Member
join:2004-05-09
Memphis, TN

MemphisPCGuy to onebadmofo

Premium Member

to onebadmofo
Haven't read entire thread but wanted to offer my input.

We just bought a Queen size Leesa.com bed. Its a 10" Foam Bed with a couple of different layers. Their top layer is egg crated upside down to allow air to circulate under the top 2 " of foam. It was warm here in Memphis last night and I slept great on it, no hot spots.

Casper is another online bed in a box solution that sells direct as well as Tuft and Needle.

Each have their own take on Foam mattresses, mixing up the various layer materials and thicknesses ... the Casper is a 5 on firmness with a touch of pillow top, which I didn't want, the Leesa is a 6 on firmness with their Aveno top that feels more like latex and the Tuft and Needle is less expensive than the other two.

They all come in a box direct to your door weighing in at about 65lbs all rolled up in a air tight bag. Once opened up it expands. Casper and Leesa both have 10 year warranties and will replace the mattress if it sags more than 1" in that time. They also offer a 100 Day trial, if you don't like it after 31 days, they will donate it to goodwill or otherwise schedule to have it picked up and removed from your house.

At around $850 they are an alternative to haggling over prices at a brick and mortar. We love our Leesa Queen after 1 week, summer will tell the tale on whether foam is gonna suck in the long run but so far so good! They sent me a $50 off coupon to share if interested and want to use mine instead of some random guys online

ZsExperiment
Zse
Premium Member
OBX 12 North

ZsExperiment

Premium Member

I never had a problem with heat with my Ikea foam mattress. It's not like memory foam, or whatever, and there's a very thick removable canvas cover that can be washed. If I could describe it, it would be like a dense bedding material on sprung slats. I found it to be very comfortable.
psiu
join:2004-01-20
Farmington, MI

psiu to onebadmofo

to onebadmofo
said by onebadmofo:

Those are awesome! But...totally unaffordable.

Not if you get the dual zone, remote control, snazzy frame, queen size model for FREE.

:P

Had some friends of my wife's family give it to us...probably had it a good 8 years ourselves now.

quitaccount
DSLR sucks cocks
Premium Member
join:2000-11-13

quitaccount to onebadmofo

Premium Member

to onebadmofo
memory foam mattresses are horrible!!

I bought a tempurpedic, and the chemical smell in my house was insanely strong.

my wife also had an allergic reaction to whatever the hell they make them from. COVERED in hives.

Trimline
Premium Member
join:2004-10-24
Windermere, FL

Trimline to 67845017

Premium Member

to 67845017
said by 67845017:

And my wife much prefers it to any kind of spring mattress. She says that her body aches and stiff have all but disappeared

I agree with your wife. I just bought one of these last month. By the first few days, no more aches and pains. Best mattress I've ever had.

ZsExperiment
Zse
Premium Member
OBX 12 North

ZsExperiment

Premium Member

Just to clarify... the Ikea foam mattress I had wasn't a memory foam mattress, it's dense foam, rated as firm, and it had a removable and washable thick canvas cover.

Incredibly comfortable. I was hit from behind on my motorcycle a few years back, jarred my back, and have had periodic episodes of lower back and left leg pain since then. They completely disappeared with a mattress like this on sprung wooden slats:

»www.ikea.com/us/en/catal ··· 0272316/
67845017 (banned)
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned) to Trimline

to Trimline
Mattresses have to be one of the most personal preference items in our daily lives. The whole selection process was a little angst inducing.