spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Nailer65
join:2015-03-10
Coeburn, VA

Nailer65

[Speed] Throttling

I feel like I'm getting throttled. I have the 50/10 package and about 3 weeks ago my internet speed dropped instantly. Did a speed test and sure enough wasn't even getting close to what I was getting. Funny how my speed is 17.80 Mbps exactly 24/7 like its a set number now. Called tech support they said everything checked out fine. Wanted to send a tech out but I declined since nothing had changed on my end. I could understand if speeds started declining over time but one day speeds was normal and next day 17.80 Mbps exactly. Been like that for 3 weeks now. No lower and no more. No spyware/malware on computer. Haven't upgraded firmware. If any other info is needed just let me know.

Modem: Arris TG862G/CT
Speedtest: »www.speedtest.net/my-res ··· 03386103
Noise levels: »i.imgur.com/qyLHnhp.jpg

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall

MVM

Wireless? Wired? When you plug directly into the cable modem and run speed tests, what do you get?
Nailer65
Coeburn, VA

Nailer65

Wired of course.

Edit: I don't use a router just the cable modem provided. Sorry forgot to mention that in post.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall to Nailer65

MVM

to Nailer65
Personally, I would call Comcast and schedule the truck roll. If you say that your speeds haven't changed in the last 3 weeks no matter what time you do the speed test, it could be a line problem of some kind or maybe even you are provisioned the wrong speed. Either way, I would have some speed test samples for the tech when he comes out. Explain the situation.
Nailer65
Coeburn, VA

Nailer65

Well tech support said the line tests was coming back fine but heck can barely understand them have the time. If I was provisioned the wrong speed why was I getting the correct speed all this time until a few weeks ago. Had this package for over a year now and no issues. Not trying to get smart or anything just trying to do all I can before I call for a tech visit. But if you say I should get one out here then I will do that.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to Nailer65

MVM

to Nailer65
Those upstream power levels of 49.75 dBmV are actually outside the +35 to +49 dBmV recommended range, and close to the recommended maximum of +52 dBmV: »Comcast High Speed Internet FAQ »What should my Signal Levels be?

It's also strange that the gateway has not locked onto an upstream carrier above 30 MHz, which is usually provided in most Comcast systems. This may indicate that the required upstream power for that one exceeds the max output capability of the gateway.

Can you provide a copy of the gateway's Log file entries?

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall to Nailer65

MVM

to Nailer65
Thats just my suggestion.

The only other thing you can try is hooking up a different PC to this cable modem and running speed tests to see if the speed is the same.

Either way, same speed for 3 weeks (doesn't matter what time) doesn't sound like throttling. It sounds more like a wrong speed provision on the cable modem.
Nailer65
Coeburn, VA

Nailer65 to telcodad

to telcodad
Which log is that you are needing? The Event Log, System Log? Also I did exchange my modem yesterday for a new one yesterday. But old modem was 17.80Mbps and new modem was still 17.80Mbps. Sorry about not mentioning that before.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by Nailer65:

Which log is that you are needing? The Event Log, System Log?

I believe it would be the "Event" log.
Nailer65
Coeburn, VA

Nailer65

Event log for last 90 days. »i.imgur.com/N3nfiOy.jpg Can post in text format if you need it.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by Nailer65:

Event log for last 90 days.

Hmmm .. see that you had some problems with software/config file downloads.

It could be a provisioning issue as Nightfall See Profile said.
Nailer65
Coeburn, VA

Nailer65

Alright so need a tech out?

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by Nailer65:

Alright so need a tech out?

Might want to try having netcool See Profile take a (remote) look at it first.

Once you're able to IM, try sending him your gateway's CM(HFC)-MAC address.
Nailer65
Coeburn, VA

Nailer65

Ouch. 8 hour wait to be able to IM. Guess I'll message him once the wait is up.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

1 edit

telcodad

MVM

Well, while you're waiting, see the ideas in these threads on reducing those high upstream power levels:

»[Connectivity] High Upstream power, T3 timeouts, Disconnects
»[Connectivity] Intermittent Connection Loss

And from:
Connection Troubleshooting Tips
»forums.comcast.com/t5/Ba ··· /1253575
quote:
Inspect the coaxial lines
Inspect as much of the coaxial cable line leading up to your cable modem for signs of extreme bends, cuts, loose or corroded connectors. If possible, try inspecting the coaxial lines from the point this cable enters your home up to the point where it connects to your cable modem. If you see a section of cable or any connectors that are damaged, try replacing the section of cable. Also, try disconnecting and re-connecting all of the coaxial connections that lead up to your cable modem to ensure each connection is tight, corrosion-free, and that the coaxial tip visible at each connection end is not bent. Coax should be RG6 with compression fittings.

Splitters
Each splitter that is added to your cable line will degrade the cable signal slightly and may cause slower connection speeds or frequent modem disconnections. Normally, you should have one main splitter installed where the cable line enters your home with one branch feeding to the cable modem directly and the other branch feeding to all the TVs in the home.

If you have multiple splitters on the coaxial line leading up to your cable modem, try by-passing these splitters and running a single coaxial line directly to your cable modem, if possible. This may disconnect any TVs that may be connected from these splitters but if this improves your modem connection, the problem can be attributed to either a faulty splitter that needs to be replaced or a potential signal problem that may require a technician visit.

Splitters should be of good quality and broadband compliant. The label should read 5-1000Mhz (or 1Ghz).
Nailer65
Coeburn, VA

Nailer65

I only have 1 splitter between the the modem and outside connection. Guess I'll have to crawl under house and make sure everything looks ok.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by Nailer65:

I only have 1 splitter between the the modem and outside connection. Guess I'll have to crawl under house and make sure everything looks ok.

Yeah, your downstream levels of +6 dBmV are very good, so to have your upstream levels so bad may indicate a problem caused by a bad connection, water intrusion or a poor-quality splitter.
Nailer
join:2013-05-10
Coeburn, VA

Nailer

Splitter is in good shape. Not on the ground or anywhere it could get water in it. No corrosion that I could see. The modem line is the only thing on that splitter and it is the correct 5-1000Mhz splitter. Now the main spiltter on the outside of the house is in the open where weather can get to it. Been like that since the first tech came out years ago to hook us up to Comcast.

Edit: I got access to my old account. Had to remeber what email address I used. That way I had IM access. Sorry for the confusion.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

OK, then there may be a cable/tap/line equipment issue outside of your home.

Did you IM netcool See Profile ?
Nailer
Coeburn, VA

Nailer

yea I sent him a IM with the information you said to provide him.

tigerpaw509
join:2011-01-19

tigerpaw509 to Nailer65

to Nailer65
Forget what the clerk says and request a truck roll.Their main job is to not roll a truck
Nailer
Coeburn, VA

1 recommendation

Nailer to Nailer65

to Nailer65
After help from everyone that posted. My issue was resolved. Was just some miscommunication between myself and the billing department after making some changes back in January with my bill. Kudos was given to all that helped.

New Speedtest: »www.speedtest.net/my-res ··· 04381396

Edit: Was only getting 50Mbps at the time because of the doubling speed promotion but since Time Warner is taking over my area they aren't offering it anymore from what I was told.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by Nailer:

After help from everyone that posted. My issue was resolved.
:
New Speedtest: »www.speedtest.net/my-res ··· 04381396

Glad to hear that! netcool See Profile is the man!

Now you can try out the new DSLR speed test: »[Speed] Updated DSLReports Speed Test
bgoodbody
Bill G
join:2002-05-08
North Truro, MA

1 edit

bgoodbody to telcodad

to telcodad
NetDog no longer works for Comcast
bgoodbody

bgoodbody to Nailer

to Nailer

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to bgoodbody

MVM

to bgoodbody
said by bgoodbody:

Yes, I know, that's why I told him to IM netcool.

»Re: [IPv6] No IPV6 TC8305C & RT-68U