spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Squirrelly
join:2000-10-24
Harrisburg, PA

Squirrelly

Local channels + internet

I see verizon offers a local package plus internet for about $65. Does anyone know what type of box is required for the local TV? I'm looking at down sizing my cable bill and streaming more. I do NOT need a dvr

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish

Premium Member

You have to call in to order, can't be done online. local only doesn't need any box if your TV has QAM tuner, most made in the last 10 years have this. When you order, you have to get a cable box, but just refuse delivery when it comes and it will be taken off the bill when its returned. Current customer 25/25 with local is ~65 month

Squirrelly
Harrisburg, PA

Squirrelly

Great thank you
rickbarnett
join:2005-09-24
Springfield, VA

rickbarnett to guppy_fish

to guppy_fish
said by guppy_fish:

just refuse delivery when it comes and it will be taken off the bill when its returned

I would suggest you take delivery and ship it back with a tracking nuber. Keep tracking info until you see the credit on your account. Been there, done that, much the wiser!

guppy_fish
Premium Member
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish

Premium Member

You have the tracking number from when Verizon ships it to you, there is zero reason to accept the delivery and then have to take the time to ship it back. When you refuse, the tracking shows this and all the way back. Its actually better as Verizon can't claim you didn't send everything back as you never had possession of the equipment. I checked with the direct reps here and they recommend this was the best option for that don't want, but are forced to have sent an stb so the order can be placed
rickbarnett
join:2005-09-24
Springfield, VA

rickbarnett

On second thought, I concur. Good point!
said by guppy_fish:

You have the tracking number from when Verizon ships it to you, there is zero reason to accept the delivery and then have to take the time to ship it back. When you refuse, the tracking shows this and all the way back. Its actually better as Verizon can't claim you didn't send everything back as you never had possession of the equipment. I checked with the direct reps here and they recommend this was the best option for that don't want, but are forced to have sent an stb so the order can be placed

On second thought, I concur. Good point!
DrZing
join:2015-03-12
Pittsburgh, PA

DrZing to Squirrelly

to Squirrelly
It took me 40 minutes on the phone this morning to customer service, and the agent had to check with her supervisor a few times, but I was able to change my 75/75 + TV Select + 3-DVR bundle which was burning a hole at ~$130/mo, to 75/75 + TV Local + no DVR's at ~$64+tax. I have a few months left on my contract but luckily this doesn't trigger an ETF or need a contract extension. Their system tries to get you to keep at least one box which is a whopping $11.99/mo, and they might be confused about TV Local not being an option if you're in a bundle, but they do have some way to make it work. Anyway, well worth the effort for this kind of savings!
jeremyobi
join:2004-05-29
Bethesda, MD

jeremyobi

I did this and final bill came to $68 with taxes FYI. They gave me free hbo for a year, but then took it out after a week. I wonder if I can call to get it back? Then I can access it through hbo go. The bill says they will add a 2 buck broadcast fee soon in 2 months. Still saving about 50 bucks or so.
Acct101
Premium Member
join:2011-09-20
Bensalem, PA

Acct101

Premium Member

Wow, the savings is pretty sizeable when you annualize it. I'm on board if I can talk my family into it. For me, I would save $1,560.00 a year.
denary
join:2002-12-27
Wakefield, MA

denary to Squirrelly

to Squirrelly
I'm thinking of moving off FIOS and over to a TIVO Roamio so that I can DVR OTA channels. I called today to inquire and just the Internet was close to $95. Then I pressed and was told I can get locals and Internet for $68.

Would the locals work with the TIVO Roamio? I was planning on ordering and HDTV antenna for OTA reception.

guppy_fish
Premium Member
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish

Premium Member

Depends which model

»www.residentialsystems.c ··· ryId=852
denary
Wakefield, MA

denary

TIVO Roamio TCD846500 which can be used with a cable card and OTA

Squirrelly
Harrisburg, PA

Squirrelly to jeremyobi

to jeremyobi
said by jeremyobi:

I did this and final bill came to $68 with taxes FYI. They gave me free hbo for a year, but then took it out after a week. I wonder if I can call to get it back? Then I can access it through hbo go. The bill says they will add a 2 buck broadcast fee soon in 2 months. Still saving about 50 bucks or so.

Good to know, now to convince the wife. What was is you internet speed you got with that, 25/25? Also you don't have any boxes right.
jeremyobi
Bethesda, MD

2 edits

jeremyobi

50/50 down up, sorry for tardy reply.. No boxes.. Actual price on bill now is $65.96. think it will go to $67.96 thanks to broadcast fee below the line.

Rep quoted $68 on phone..

Squirrelly
Harrisburg, PA

Squirrelly

Can you list the channels you get with that package, I can't find it anywhere.
jeremyobi
Bethesda, MD

1 edit

jeremyobi

It's mainly the local broadcast networks and all subchannels.
Imagine you put up an antenna and got perfect signal on everything..

This link below should give you an idea for your town. You can't orders fios local online anymore as an existing customer anyway, you have call in. New people can online order with hbo.. I think??

»www.verizon.com/smallbus ··· neup.jsp

You'll need an hd tv for clear qam.. Bulky old box tvs won't get them without a VZ box..

Best of luck..
denary
Wakefield, MA

1 edit

denary to Squirrelly

to Squirrelly
I recently went from a Triple package to a double. With the double I have 50/50 Internet and locals for $67/month. What's interesting is that along with getting my locals I am also getting some other channels like ESPN, Discovery, Bravo, Paladia which I don't understand why. I thought it would be strictly locals.

matcarl
Premium Member
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl

Premium Member

You probably got the Preferred package, not Local Only Package
denary
Wakefield, MA

denary

not sure I actually have Preferred. This is what my bill shows: FiOS TV Local Service $12.99 FiOS Internet 50/50 $50.00, but I definitely have extra channels.

matcarl
Premium Member
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl

Premium Member

Oh wow, you aren't being charged for it so that's good, but they messed up something there in your favor.