All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

UKEE
join:2012-05-14
Lexington, KY

UKEE

CableCARD - do you need tuning adapters with TWC?

Went online to order two CableCARDS for a couple of Silicon Dust HDHomerun Prime units. Found the CableCARDS (listed as CableCARD + tuning adapter) on the TWC order site but the page directed me to go and pick them up at the local TWC office. I proceeded to the office to be told that they carry CableCARDS but were out and that they do not provide the tuning adapters and I would have to get them elsewhere?

Uh, what am I missing here? Do they not carry them because we don't need them or does the guy not have a clue? What do I have to do to get them should TWC require them on the HDHomerun Primes (for that matter, how to get CableCARDS - just call up customer service)?

Thanks
keno5net
join:2002-01-05
Milwaukee, WI

keno5net

Here in Milwaukee we do not sure about everywhere. The TA came with the cable card install kit in my case it connects to my HDhomrun Prime via a USB cable.
Mystic95Z
join:2005-05-10
Orlando, FL

Mystic95Z to UKEE

to UKEE
Depends on the market. Im in the Lou Ky market and we do NOT need them. I have two HD Homerun Primes and NO tuning adapters.

UKEE
Lexington, KY

UKEE

said by Mystic95Z:

Depends on the market. Im in the Lou Ky market and we do NOT need them. I have two HD Homerun Primes and NO tuning adapters.

Thank you! I suspect that TWC in Louisville is the former Insight service. That makes sense I suppose. I'll give them a call and see if they can get a couple of CableCARDS before I go out there again (to save a wasted trip) and hope that it all works without the adapters here in Lexington as well. I just assumed that you need them in all TWC markets.

By the way, any problems getting them to work with the HDHomerun Primes (activation, etc)? Also, did you activate both at the same time or activate one and then add another?

And OT: Are you using them with Windows Media Center and if so, how do you get the extra tuners (limited to 4 on WMC - TunerSalad?)?

Thanks for your original answer and anything else you can provide on this (even if a little OT).

Tonice2007
Premium Member
join:2005-12-20
Brooklyn, NY

Tonice2007 to UKEE

Premium Member

to UKEE
Until your area is converted to a digital market, meaning all the channels are encrypted, and can not be properly decoded without a proper "decoder" (aka. the Tuning Adapter), you will not need a Tuning Adapter.

But that means that your market most likely won't get the new MAXX upgrades, which in order for that to happen TWC needs more bandwidth, which is provided by going digital; or make more effective use of the spectrum that they already have, but their not going to do that, as it is too "hard" to be a effective use of spectrum.

UKEE
Lexington, KY

UKEE

said by Tonice2007:

Until your area is converted to a digital market, meaning all the channels are encrypted, and can not be properly decoded without a proper "decoder" (aka. the Tuning Adapter), you will not need a Tuning Adapter.

But that means that your market most likely won't get the new MAXX upgrades, which in order for that to happen TWC needs more bandwidth, which is provided by going digital; or make more effective use of the spectrum that they already have, but their not going to do that, as it is too "hard" to be a effective use of spectrum.

Well, TWC has stated that they expect 'most' markets to be upgraded to MAXX by the end of 2016, so we'll see. I'll go back and see when/if I can get the CableCARD adapters (I'll see if there's another TWC office in town too).

Also, hopefully the request and desire of the mayor to put in a 1Gbps fiber network for Lexington for business and consumers will make it not worth my wile to fool with TWC, Maxx or not, at some point in the not too distant future.

OpTiC
Premium Member
join:2014-03-08
West Covina, CA

1 edit

OpTiC to Tonice2007

Premium Member

to Tonice2007
said by Tonice2007:

Actually Insight has converted their TWC markets back in 2010 or 2011. They don't use SDV which requires tuning adapters. They are not clear qam they are still encrypted qam but those former Insight areas is like Comcast not requiring a tuning adapter.

Tonice2007
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

Tonice2007

Premium Member

said by OpTiC :

said by Tonice2007:

Actually Insight has converted their TWC markets back in 2010 or 2011. They don't use SDV which requires tuning adapters.

You must have a hard time understanding english, seriously read what I wrote; until TWC converts the signal digital (aka SDV {Swtiched Digital Video}) he will not need a tuning adapter.

Suit Up
join:2003-07-21
Los Angeles, CA
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X
TP-Link Archer C7

1 recommendation

Suit Up

said by Tonice2007:

You must have a hard time understanding english, seriously read what I wrote

I think maybe you have the hard time understanding English... seriously read what you wrote:
"Until your area is converted to a digital market, meaning all the channels are encrypted, and can not be properly decoded without a proper "decoder" (aka. the Tuning Adapter), you will not need a Tuning Adapter." Nothing in that statement is correct or applicable. SDV and being a "digital market" are not related. SDV and encryption also have nothing to do with each other. A channel can be unencrypted or encrypted via a standard broadcast QAM or via a SDV QAM. And the CableCard is what you need to properly decode an encrypted channel. A tuning adapter is needed so that your tuner knows what QAM channel to tune in to to get the virtual SDV channel.
Gate33
join:2015-03-08

2 recommendations

Gate33 to Tonice2007

to Tonice2007
said by Tonice2007:

When TWC converts the analog channels in an area to digital and encrypts them, you need a digital adapter, not a tuning adapter. They are two entirely different things.

Tonice2007
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

Tonice2007 to Suit Up

Premium Member

to Suit Up
said by Suit Up:

said by Tonice2007:

You must have a hard time understanding english, seriously read what I wrote

I think maybe you have the hard time understanding English... seriously read what you wrote:
"Until your area is converted to a digital market, meaning all the channels are encrypted, and can not be properly decoded without a proper "decoder" (aka. the Tuning Adapter), you will not need a Tuning Adapter." Nothing in that statement is correct or applicable. SDV and being a "digital market" are not related. SDV and encryption also have nothing to do with each other. A channel can be unencrypted or encrypted via a standard broadcast QAM or via a SDV QAM. And the CableCard is what you need to properly decode an encrypted channel. A tuning adapter is needed so that your tuner knows what QAM channel to tune in to to get the virtual SDV channel.

Not to be a smart ass here but, here I am...

Your correct about the fact that even in an analog system you can have "encryption" aka the CableCard, was to sever that purpose; but when the Cable system was first designed back in the 50s, it was designed for areas that couldn't not receive a proper OTA signal, due to territorial difficulties. So cable was designed to overcome that problem, which it did the the FCC (Federal Government) comes in to regulate and state that cable should be "public" access in the sense that anybody connected to it should be able to watch cable.

Now fast forward to the present-day, there is not enough bandwidth due to cable companies not managing spectrum properly, and they decide to go "digital" so that there is more bandwidth now as cable companies are using SDV so a video stream is not broadcasting 24/7 as before, whither somebody was watching the feed or not; so now the feeds are "encrypted" via SDV.

Does that make you more happy now? As one can tell that your "favorite" show is "How I met You Mother"

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

1 edit

DocDrew

Premium Member

That's a horrible explaination.

Cable companies didn't manage their spectrum poorly and go digital because of it. Analog is capable of about 136 channels on a 860Mhz system, digital several times that. Analog just takes more bandwidth per video stream.

SDV doesn't have to be encrypted. It can be clear QAM. Switched channels could even be analog if a cable company really wanted to spend the money to make it happen. They do it in a way for advertising and EAS.

Suit Up's description is much more accurate.
Mystic95Z
Orlando, FL

Mystic95Z to UKEE

to UKEE
Getting them activated once they gave me the right type of cable card activation wasnt too bad, just called the CableCard activation number. Yes using WMC and bought TunerSalad to get past the 4 tuner limit.

And BTW for anyone thats looking to get a HD HomeRun Prime, woot.com has them for $89.99 today only (3/11/15)

UKEE
Lexington, KY

UKEE

said by Mystic95Z:

Getting them activated once they gave me the right type of cable card activation wasnt too bad, just called the CableCard activation number. Yes using WMC and bought TunerSalad to get past the 4 tuner limit.

And BTW for anyone thats looking to get a HD HomeRun Prime, woot.com has them for $89.99 today only (3/11/15)

What does 'right type of cable card activation' mean?
Mystic95Z
Orlando, FL

Mystic95Z

said by UKEE:

right type of cable card

That is the key there, there are apparently different types and only the red labeled moto ones are compatible for multi tuner boxes.

UKEE
Lexington, KY

UKEE

said by Mystic95Z:

said by UKEE:

right type of cable card

That is the key there, there are apparently different types and only the red labeled moto ones are compatible for multi tuner boxes.

Probably what the "M Type Only" on the back of the HDHomerun Prime means. Thanks everyone. I'm going to see if they have any tomorrow (I'll be out that way anyway).
jpatton1979
join:2011-08-10
Louisville, KY
Pace 5268AC
Ubiquiti Unifi Security Gateway Pro
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO

jpatton1979 to OpTiC

to OpTiC
said by OpTiC :

They are not clear qam they are still encrypted qam...

Louisville offers its classic lineup via ClearQAM.

»www.timewarnercable.com/ ··· leve.pdf

OpTiC
Premium Member
join:2014-03-08
West Covina, CA

OpTiC

Premium Member

said by jpatton1979:

said by OpTiC :

They are not clear qam they are still encrypted qam...

Louisville offers its classic lineup via ClearQAM.

»www.timewarnercable.com/ ··· leve.pdf

Okay I was thinking about my area that there are no clear qam. In LA they are all encrypted qam.