Search similar:

uniqs

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

StuartMW

Premium Member

POSReady2009 Windows Update broken?

I just tried to access WU through a WinXP SP3 box patched as POSReady2009 and got a generic site error. A plain (unpatched) WinXP SP3 box machine got to WU just fine. Perhaps MS has plugged the hole.
redwolfe_98
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11

4 edits

1 recommendation

redwolfe_98

Premium Member

said by StuartMW:

I just tried to access WU through a WinXP SP3 box patched as POSReady2009 and got a generic site error

do you mean the "microsoft update" website, as opposed to the "windows update" website? i think you do..

i also recently had problems with the "microsoft update" website, but the "windows update" website worked fine..

you can work around the problem with the "microsoft update" website by replacing the "muweb.dll" file with a different one..

here is a link for downloading the "muweb.dll" replacement-file, if you want to use it:

»app.box.com/s/i99osj56iq ··· mpljm62w

to replace the muweb.dll file, just copy the one that you downloaded to the "system32" folder..

you should backup a copy of the current version of the "muweb.dll" file before replacing it with the other one, just so you will have it.. (i always forget to back up the original muweb.dll file)..

p.s. here is a related thread, from another forum, where i got the information about replacing the "muweb.dll" file:

»www.msfn.org/board/topic ··· 0xp2003/

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium Member
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC

siljaline to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
Could be MS is finally wise to the hack and is not giving what's expected.
Frodo
join:2006-05-05

1 edit

Frodo

I read this, fired up my virtual xp and it is updating. Didn't update last month, but it looks like last months and this months updates are there - installing as I write this (on the Win7).

Edit: Update successful. If it hadn't worked for me, I would have waited 24 hours and tried again, prior to applying a workaround.

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW

Premium Member

Click for full size
Still broken for me on both a real and virtual machine. It worked fine last month.
Frodo
join:2006-05-05

Frodo

I don't do it this way. I just turn on the Windows Update service when the coast seems clear. It didn't seem clear last month with that font issue, so I waited until this month.

XPPOS2009
@rr.com

XPPOS2009 to StuartMW

Anon

to StuartMW
It all depends on which version of muweb.dll your XP-based-OS install has. Version 257 has had repeated problems at times, version 256 works fine.

Best option is to simply copy version 256 to \windows\system32 (backup/rename version 257 if you want)
I've had to do that with several.

StuartMW
Premium Member

1 edit

StuartMW to redwolfe_98

Premium Member

to redwolfe_98
said by redwolfe_98:

here is a link for downloading the "muweb.dll" file, if you want to use it:

»app.box.com/s/i99osj56iq ··· mpljm62w

Thanks. Replacing muweb.dll v7.6.7600.257 with .256 did the trick

Now seeing 8 "Security Updates". I'll install these in the next week or so,

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
I ran into this this morning, but I don't use POSReady2009. I was getting MRT and Office updates.
Fickey
Terrorists target your backbone
join:2004-05-31

Fickey to StuartMW

to StuartMW
I guess I got lucky, but MU worked fine for me with muweb.dll .257 on my "POS 2009" box just now. Who knows, maybe you guys got MS to silently fix something.

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium Member
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC

siljaline to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW
Good thing no one from MS reads these threads

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW

Premium Member

I've installed the updates into a XP SP3 VM and all seems to be well.

As for Microsift they've been extending the middle finger to users in recent years so I have no problem returning the favor. For example

»Microsoft Malicious software Removal Tool (MRT) notice

. o O (You peons don't need full installers so go...)

Well there's more than one way to skin a cat.