All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

JackPearson2
@verizon.net

JackPearson2

Anon

Any signs of FIOS having a gig download option?

The max is currently 500 down.

Any word that they may double that to match what google & some other companies are starting to offer across the country?

Thanks

OpTiC
Premium Member
join:2014-03-08
West Covina, CA

2 edits

3 recommendations

OpTiC

Premium Member

said by JackPearson2 :

Any word that they may double that to match what google & some other companies are starting to offer across the country?

Thanks

Nice try don't even think about it Verizon is not interested on investing in landline they current want to deal with Wireless so the gig isn't going to happen. Verizon has said in the past that it won't happen.

Chris123NT
join:2001-11-24
Palm Bay, FL

4 recommendations

Chris123NT to JackPearson2

to JackPearson2
And a gig on VZ would be worthless, hell as of late their peering can't even handle 150 let alone the 500 offering they currently have.

norm
join:2012-10-18
Pittsburgh, PA

2 recommendations

norm

said by Chris123NT:

their peering can't even handle 150

As a 75/75 customer in the Pittsburgh region, I typically see 35~ Mbit in the evenings.
patt2k
join:2009-01-16

patt2k

said by norm:

said by Chris123NT:

As a 75/75 customer in the Pittsburgh region, I typically see 35~ Mbit in the evenings.

As a 75/75 customer in Brooklyn,NY I always see 84/92 ~mbit

norm
join:2012-10-18
Pittsburgh, PA

2 recommendations

norm

Patt,

I'm happy someone is getting what they're paying for but it's pretty clear a lot of people aren't. Ignoring all of the BS peering disputes Verizon has at the moment - which seems to be with most tier 1s, I have other issues. Anything going through Ashburn or DFW goes to absolute shit between roughly 5:45 AM through 1:45 AM per RRD graphing. Real world throughput appears to be associated with the latency changes.

I VPN into a DFW destination that uses Verizon enterprise transit and get a better connection via Comcast than I do with Verizon during peak hours.
patt2k
join:2009-01-16

patt2k

said by norm:

Patt,

I'm happy someone is getting what they're paying for but it's pretty clear a lot of people aren't. Ignoring all of the BS peering disputes Verizon has at the moment - which seems to be with most tier 1s, I have other issues. Anything going through Ashburn or DFW goes to absolute shit between roughly 5:45 AM through 1:45 AM per RRD graphing. Real world throughput appears to be associated with the latency changes.

I VPN into a DFW destination that uses Verizon enterprise transit and get a better connection via Comcast than I do with Verizon during peak hours.

Yea I didn't say it does not happen but since 2012 I only had like 1 slow down issue with fios and it was ok the next day.

During peak hours it always works perfectly.
sonofsmog
join:2003-09-09
Ontario, CA

sonofsmog to norm

to norm
I download 165 Mbps+ all day every day.
halfelite
join:2007-09-11

halfelite

Being you live close to me that makes me sad. I live out in riverside on 75/75 I am lucky to see over 128kb/s on some nights. I got my circuit moved to GPON from BPON that did not fix it. I had them rebuild my circuit that did not do anything. Swapped out the ONT. Finally broke down and bought a VPN service to route around the mess and that seems to work well for now.

Very stupid though that I have to pay extra money for a 3rd party service to get the speed I pay for.
serge87
join:2009-11-29
New York

2 recommendations

serge87 to JackPearson2

to JackPearson2
Verizon offering 1gbps is like putting new tires and wheels on a $500 car you're trying to get rid of on craigslist...

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

2 recommendations

DocDrew to JackPearson2

Premium Member

to JackPearson2
Fios can't reliably support 1 gig without a big upgrade in equipment on either end of the fiber. The GPON gear they use shares bandwidth of 2.4 gbps downstream and 1.2 gbps upstream between 16-64 users. They'd have to at least upgrade to XG-PON and more than likely the back end, upstream of the PON gear.

YMun99
join:2015-03-01

YMun99 to norm

to norm
said by norm:

said by Chris123NT:

Yup I now only see about half my speed in the evenings as well.
sonofsmog
join:2003-09-09
Ontario, CA

sonofsmog to halfelite

to halfelite
Where, pray tell, are you downloading from and get that atrocious speed? Are you sure the problems not at the source?
RolteC
The Need for Speed
join:2001-05-20
New York, NY

RolteC to JackPearson2

to JackPearson2
I think the answer to this is; Just as likely as Google Fiber buying out FiOS.
54761437 (banned)
join:2013-01-18
Durham, NC

3 recommendations

54761437 (banned) to JackPearson2

to JackPearson2
lol Verizon can't even maintain their current FiOS network. Congestion, packet loss, peering point saturation...and their CFO, Fran "Shamwow" Shammo, has said more than once that VZ has no interest in wireline investments. They'd probably sell gigabit...for about $4900 a month.

OpTiC
Premium Member
West Covina, CA

2 edits

1 recommendation

OpTiC to JackPearson2

Premium Member

to JackPearson2
said by JackPearson2 :

Thanks

That also isn't happening because why do you think Verizon sold IN, OR, and WA fios to Frontier and currently selling CA,TX, and Fl to Frontier. That is a sign that Verizon don't want Fios and don't want to invested in it. Another obvious sign Verizon don't want to upgrade is Verizon in the past made excuses saying we can't find the parts. No shit you can't because it's a old dslam.
banshee
join:2013-06-17
Albany, NY

banshee to sonofsmog

to sonofsmog
I get this all day and night on wireless on the 75/75 plan.

OpTiC
Premium Member
West Covina, CA

OpTiC

Premium Member

said by banshee:

I get this all day and night on wireless on the 75/75 plan.

It just depends lots of users are having congestion issues.
banshee
join:2013-06-17
Albany, NY

banshee

I see this by the posts but you can see it isn't everyone.. Many don't have problems, though I would be pissed if I was paying big bucks and got nothing but excuses..
Expand your moderator at work
serge87
New York

serge87 to banshee

to banshee

Re: Any signs of FIOS having a gig download option?

said by banshee:

I see this by the posts but you can see it isn't everyone.. Many don't have problems, though I would be pissed if I was paying big bucks and got nothing but excuses..

Consider yourself the lucky minority on FIOS. The rest of us can only wish we had your connection quality...

rchandra
Stargate Universe fan
Premium Member
join:2000-11-09
14225-2105

1 edit

rchandra to JackPearson2

Premium Member

to JackPearson2
I just had FiOS installed this past Wed. The tech remarked on leaving that is one thing being pursued, that if wanted, my connection could be gigabit (CLARIFICATION: in the future). This is in northern Cheektowaga, NY.
serge87
New York

serge87

said by rchandra:

The tech remarked on leaving that is one thing being pursued, that if wanted, my connection could be gigabit. This is in northern Cheektowaga, NY.

I wonder if it's his personal speculation or a rumor based on higher up talks? Although knowing Verizon I would not put it past them to squeeze every last penny from any wireline source possible, even in the less-than-optimal state FIOS is currently in.

OpTiC
Premium Member
West Covina, CA

OpTiC to rchandra

Premium Member

to rchandra
said by rchandra:

I just had FiOS installed this past Wed. The tech remarked on leaving that is one thing being pursued, that if wanted, my connection could be gigabit. This is in northern Cheektowaga, NY.

Verizon doesn't have a gigabit I have no idea what he is talking about

rchandra
Stargate Universe fan
Premium Member
14225-2105

rchandra

Premium Member

Please let me clarify...that was for the future, not that I could get gigabit now. My original post has been updated to reflect that.

OpTiC
Premium Member
West Covina, CA

OpTiC

Premium Member

said by rchandra:

Please let me clarify...that was for the future, not that I could get gigabit now. My original post has been updated to reflect that.

Verizon isn't intrested in deploying gigabit. Why do you think Verizon is selling CA,FL, and TX because they aren't interested in keeping Fios.

rchandra
Stargate Universe fan
Premium Member
14225-2105

rchandra

Premium Member

Well, don't know what to tell you, I'm just paraphrasing what my installation tech said. Take what he said with a grain of salt, I guess.
Bytezboy
join:2001-05-17
New York, NY

Bytezboy to JackPearson2

to JackPearson2
It's always full speed here in NYC.
Expand your moderator at work

ITALIAN926
join:2003-08-16

ITALIAN926 to Bytezboy

to Bytezboy

Re: Any signs of FIOS having a gig download option?

No problems here upstate NY ... all day/night.