spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Matt
@wideopenwest.com

Matt

Anon

Windows Media Center

Anyone using Windows Media Center with WOW? I'm in Evansville, IN. I've been using a Media Center box to record shows from my WOW cable for years. Last night we were blessed by a QAM channel change. All my other TVs work fine, but these two media center machines will only find 39 channels now. No local channels just some of the cable channels. I spoke to another guy here in Evansville regarding the issue and he is experiencing the same thing. I've called support, they think I'm speaking Greek when I talk about the Windows Media Center.
garnuts
join:2012-02-03
Columbus, OH

garnuts

I use WMC for Live TV and DVR on a PC and 3 Xbox extenders.

No change here in Columbus, Ohio.

Did you try re-running WMC set-up?

Matt
@wideopenwest.com

Matt

Anon

Yes of course. Do you still have subchannels like 63-34 and such? That is what they got rid of here.
garnuts
join:2012-02-03
Columbus, OH

garnuts

I don't know if the subchannels are there. I use a cable card with an HD Homerun Prime tuner. All the regular channels are populated in the WMC channel guide. I only watch the HD channels 200+.
adam1991
join:2012-06-16
united state

adam1991 to Matt

to Matt
Is your problem rooted in the fact that the program guide is now out of sync with the channel lineup because of WOW's changes?

Zap2It is your friend here. Send them an email.

Matt
@google.com

Matt

Anon

I wish is was that easy. When scanning for channels, it will only find 39. I have 2 different machines that do the same thing and a buddy across town has two. All do the same thing. I figure this can not be isolated to just mine.

jml
@rr.com

jml

Anon

I am having the same issues, no local channels and none of the previous QAM channels as listed on the WOW website channel list. There are a few channels now showing in the 1000.XX channel range. The WOW website also indicates a Digital Adapter is required at $2 per month. Considering dumping cable and getting locals over the air and other content from the web. Please post if you find a solution without installing a Digital Adapter

Matt
@wideopenwest.com

Matt

Anon

So I've figured out this really isn't necessarily a WOW issue. Technically they did change the channel frequences/numbers, but the WMC doesn't know how to handle them. I decided to install Hauppauge's WinTV on the computer. I let it scan and it found all the channels and can play all the channels. They are on 1008.xx The letter that WOW sent out before the 3/10/15 channel number change has all channel numbers. ESPN is 1008.27.
Now here is the rub. WMC pulls in 39 of the channels, but the last 4 all pull in over the top of the Local HD channels. For example 1008.802 - 1008.811. So the Food network is on the channel rather than the local HD channel. Also WMC will not let you add a 4 digit major channel. I can enter 999.999 but not 1000.999. I've done a ton of searching and can't find a way to tell the WMC to allow 4 digits in the digital channel number. I did however find a small program to allow me to add the channels (Guide Editor). I've tried it and it works, but I'm not sure how to get my local HD channels as they are covered up by the initial channel search. I thought maybe I could delete the channels then open the Guide Editor program to add the channels. Unfortunately that won't work because when I go back to WMC and try to play the channel, I don't have a signal.

If anyone has any guesses, suggestions, or other ideas, I'd be happy to entertain them.
OldEE
Premium Member
join:2002-08-25
Westerville, OH

1 edit

OldEE

Premium Member

said by Matt :

If anyone has any guesses, suggestions, or other ideas, I'd be happy to entertain them.

Other idea. I am a WOW customer. I solved that irritating problem after years of no content menu by installing the Hauppauge 2650 two channel Cable Card receiver, which connects via USB to the PC. This provides full correct Program Menu to your WMC based computer system with two tuners helping with off line recording of one channel while watching live another. With this unit, you can watch all the content for which you are paying including movie channels etc.
OldEE

OldEE to Matt

Premium Member

to Matt
operator error....this was a redundant post...sorry

Matt
@wideopenwest.com

Matt to OldEE

Anon

to OldEE
I've thought about adding a cable card over the years, but hadn't done it because I didn't want to be paying each month for the cable card. I'd also be tempted to add the premium channels... My wife complains enough about the bill!
Matt

Matt to Matt

Anon

to Matt
I've been a huge fan of WMC/MCE since XP MCE. I've been using them to record TV for about 13 years or so. I've never had a reason to switch. Thanks to the channel numbers going 4 digits, now I have had to. Over the weekend I downloaded and installed MediaPortal from www.team-mediaportal.com. It installed like a breeze and found all the channels. I had to put in some work to get the EPG to work, but once I got that figured out I just copied the file to my other computer. There are definitely pros and cons with MediaPortal, but it works and WMC has failed me!
OldEE
Premium Member
join:2002-08-25
Westerville, OH

OldEE to Matt

Premium Member

to Matt
said by Matt :

$3.50 a month and you will get all the HD stuff that your current plan provides and you may be missing. Not an employee of WOW here
OldEE

OldEE to Matt

Premium Member

to Matt
Windows 10 will find WMC abandoned by Microsoft. Their loss I am sure. So your move is a good one. I am staying with Win7 forever....
mogamer
join:2011-04-20
Royal Oak, MI

mogamer

said by OldEE:

Windows 10 will find WMC abandoned by Microsoft. Their loss I am sure. So your move is a good one. I am staying with Win7 forever....

I just read a post over at the Tivo Community forums, with a link to a Softpedia article, that mentioned that WMC will be available in Windows 10 Pro.

I was surprised as well.
mogamer

mogamer to Matt

to Matt
said by Matt :

Over the weekend I downloaded and installed MediaPortal from www.team-mediaportal.com. It installed like a breeze and found all the channels. I had to put in some work to get the EPG to work, but once I got that figured out I just copied the file to my other computer. There are definitely pros and cons with MediaPortal, but it works and WMC has failed me!

Where are you getting your EPG data from?

Matt
@google.com

Matt

Anon

I'm using the webepg add in to get the info from IMDb.com. It seemed like a daunting task, but it wasn't too bad once I figured out how to export half of the data from the mediaportal TV configuration. Then I used excel to clean it up. It still took some manual entry. Then I copied and pasted that info into the XML file. The biggest thing was matching the info that MP was giving me vs what IMDB was giving. Basically you are matching the names up. I can share my XML file if you are interested.

jmliii
@rr.com

jmliii to Matt

Anon

to Matt
WinTV and a 955Q USB TV adapter is the answer for me. Mediaportal loaded too much other stuff that really seemed to slow down my system. WinTV 8 along with TitanTV gets me all the channels. I do miss the integrated EPG but TitanTV interfaces adequately.
Doogy
join:2006-03-10
Eastpointe, MI

Doogy to Matt

to Matt
Do yourself a big favor and get a SiliconDust HD Homerun Prime. I believe the first Cablecard is free if you don't have a cable box from WOW. I am not being billed for cablecards and I have 2 of them. With the HD Homerun, you will get all the channels you subscribe to with the flexibility of Windows Media Center and a full guide. I use 2 Intel NUCs for my DVRs. Other than the occasional Windows issues, they work quite well.

»www.silicondust.com/prod ··· n/prime/