All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
floydb1982
join:2004-08-25
Kent, WA

floydb1982

[Need Info] Will extra mA make a diffrence on battery life???

Just bought the ZTE ZMAX Z970.

Included USB travel charger output is 5v/1.5a.

My Duracell DU7180 USB 16.3Wh Li-ion 3.7v 4400mAh battery output is 5v/2.1a.

Will the higher milliamp on the Duracell USB Battery over the lower milliamp travel charger shorten the ZTE ZMAX Z970 built in batteries life span???

Reason I ask is because the battery in the ZTE ZMAX Z970 is not removable.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

The 1.5a vs 2.1a capacity on the chargers is just the maximum amount of current the charger can supply. Generally, the device being charged will determine the actual amount of current that is drawn from the charger (up to the maximum current the charger can supply).

Whether or not any given charger might lower the life span of the battery being charged will depend on whether or not the charger and the battery properly communicate with each other and stop the charging when the battery is fully charged vs continually trickle charging the battery. Continually trickle charging almost any battery other than a lead acid battery (such as a typical automotive battery) can lower the battery's life span.

Every cell phone I have used for the past 10 years or so has had a status display that tells you if the battery is being charged, or if it is fully charged; so you should be able to determine if the charger and the battery are compatible by checking the battery status in the cell phone (at some point in the charge cycle, the cell phone should report that the battery is fully charged and is no longer being charged).