dslreports logo
    All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

GeekInfoNow
join:2012-07-25

GeekInfoNow

[DIRECTV] Need wireless directv genie info

I am thinking of upgrading to the genie with minis(wireless). I have 4 HD dvrs in the house. All dvrs record different shows. Would it be beneficial to me to upgrade or how can I make it work in my favor? I would have to sign up for another two year contract. I see the genie itself on another site for a very good price shipped. Thank you for your time...
westdc
join:2009-01-25
Amissville, VA

westdc

Mini's are the same monthly fee $6.50 same as the current receiver - unless you need a TV where you can't get a wire is the only reason for one.

Right Now you have 8 tuners that can record - the Genie will add 5 Tuners - A mini has NO tuner and takes a LIVE tuner away from the genie while viewing live TV - Leaving you with 4 tuners to record with.

Advantage for you is to replace one of less used DVR's with a GENIE giving you 11 Live Tuners to record from. Or Keep what you have

jtudor
MVM
join:2002-12-07
Morganton, NC

jtudor

MVM

said by westdc:

Right Now you have 8 tuners that can record - the Genie will add 5 Tuners - A mini has NO tuner and takes a LIVE tuner away from the genie while viewing live TV - Leaving you with 4 tuners to record with.

Advantage for you is to replace one of less used DVR's with a GENIE giving you 11 Live Tuners to record from. Or Keep what you have

You may also need to have your LNB replaced or have your house rewired, depending on your situation. Some LNB's will only support 8 tuners. There is a new one out that will support up to 13, but it is currently only available in certain areas, or you could buy one on eBay.

When your installer comes, discuss that with him before he starts work, and also ask him if he has an HR-44 on the truck to install for you. If he only has an HR-34, kindly tell him that you want to cancel and will reschedule, and would he please be sure to bring an HR-44 when he comes back for the rescheduled appointment. You won't regret holding out for the better unit.